Can't access router config.

Old November 26th 09, 02:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Mills

Default Can't access router config.

Hi, I recently removed my Belkin F5D7630uk4A router from my home
network where Plusnet had been supplying the WLAN connection.
This was exchanged for a Huawei HG520b with TalkTalk supplying the
WLAN connection. It works fine.

I want to use my currently isolated 4 port Belkin router as a switch,
so I connected it to my laptop with a patch cable (tried a variety)
and entered http://192.168.2.1 into the browser. Nothing came up.
Did a hard reset to factory default of router, still nothing.
Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills
Old November 26th 09, 04:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Ian Northeast

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 14:58:22 +0000, Geoff Mills wrote:

I want to use my currently isolated 4 port Belkin router as a switch, so I
connected it to my laptop with a patch cable (tried a variety) and entered
http://192.168.2.1 into the browser. Nothing came up. Did a hard reset to
factory default of router, still nothing. Can anyone please tell me what
I'm doing wrong?

192.168.2.1 doesn't seem a likely default address for the router, they're
usually 192.168.0.1 IME. As you've reset it to default, its DHCP server
will be active - what address and default route has it given your laptop?
The default route will be the router's address.

Regards, Ian

Old November 26th 09, 05:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin

"Ian Northeast" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 14:58:22 +0000, Geoff Mills wrote:

I want to use my currently isolated 4 port Belkin router as a switch, so
connected it to my laptop with a patch cable (tried a variety) and
entered
http://192.168.2.1 into the browser. Nothing came up. Did a hard reset to
factory default of router, still nothing. Can anyone please tell me what
I'm doing wrong?

192.168.2.1 doesn't seem a likely default address for the router, they're
usually 192.168.0.1 IME. As you've reset it to default, its DHCP server
will be active - what address and default route has it given your laptop?
The default route will be the router's address.

You can find the IP address by doing Start | Run, cmd (which brings up a
black screen with a "C:\" prompt. At the prompt, type ipconfig and press
enter. This will list your PC's IP address and the gateway address. The
gateway address is the IP address of the router.

However a quick google search on "belkin gateway address" suggests that by
default a Belkin *does* have an IP address of 192.168.2.1 which is what you
are trying.

Check that ipconfig is giving your PC an address of 192.168.2.2 or
greater.

Try typing ping 192.168.2.1 and pressing enter. You should get 4 "reply
from" responses.

Old November 26th 09, 08:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
David Perry

"Geoff Mills" wrote in message
Hi, I recently removed my Belkin F5D7630uk4A router from my home
network where Plusnet had been supplying the WLAN connection.
This was exchanged for a Huawei HG520b with TalkTalk supplying the
WLAN connection. It works fine.

I want to use my currently isolated 4 port Belkin router as a switch,
so I connected it to my laptop with a patch cable (tried a variety)
and entered http://192.168.2.1 into the browser. Nothing came up.
Did a hard reset to factory default of router, still nothing.
Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills

The router you are trying to access has the DHCP server switched off,
so it doesn't know what to do with your request. I have one router
hooked up to the phone line and another connected via a network
cable - that second router has DHCP switched off. Once switched off
it allows devices to connect on that SSID by wireless or via the
network port on the back. It routes everything to the first router.
I can however connect to the main router on the phoneline!
I would reset the router you are having trouble with and also make sure
you are using the correct address to access it.

Old November 26th 09, 09:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adrian C

David Perry wrote:
"Geoff Mills" wrote in message

The router you are trying to access has the DHCP server switched off,

Geoff,

Before you reply, this poster is the Tiscali Idiot previously known as
Roger, and has intentionally offended you in the past :-(

Ignore it.

--
Adrian C
Old November 26th 09, 10:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 21:16:09 +0000
Adrian C wrote:

David Perry wrote:
"Geoff Mills" wrote in message

The router you are trying to access has the DHCP server switched
off,

Geoff,

Before you reply, this poster is the Tiscali Idiot previously known
as Roger, and has intentionally offended you in the past :-(

And is posting its usual brand of total ********.

Ignore it.

Unless you can figure out how to kill it ...

Old November 27th 09, 07:00 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

Geoff Mills wrote:

Hi, I recently removed my Belkin F5D7630uk4A router from my home
network where Plusnet had been supplying the WLAN connection.
This was exchanged for a Huawei HG520b with TalkTalk supplying the
WLAN connection. It works fine.

I want to use my currently isolated 4 port Belkin router as a switch,
so I connected it to my laptop with a patch cable (tried a variety)
and entered http://192.168.2.1 into the browser. Nothing came up.
Did a hard reset to factory default of router, still nothing.
Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Try this:

Set the laptop's Ethernet address to 192.168.2.2, mask 255.255.255.0

Run "route print" to find the interface index of the Ethernet adapter
and add the route to the Belkin router with

route add 192.168.2.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.2.1 IF 0XNNN

where 0XNNN is the hex index returned by the route print command.

(That's based on memory, could be wrong as I don't have the means to
test it ATM.)

Old November 27th 09, 07:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jon

In article ,
says...
Hi, I recently removed my Belkin F5D7630uk4A router from my home
network where Plusnet had been supplying the WLAN connection.
This was exchanged for a Huawei HG520b with TalkTalk supplying the
WLAN connection. It works fine.

I want to use my currently isolated 4 port Belkin router as a switch,
so I connected it to my laptop with a patch cable (tried a variety)
and entered
http://192.168.2.1 into the browser. Nothing came up.
Did a hard reset to factory default of router, still nothing.
Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Assumiong the router is dishing out IP addresses and your network
connection reports that it is connected? Run ipconfig /all from a
command prompt and look for "default gateway" address. This is the IP of
the router.
--
Regards
Jon
Old November 28th 09, 08:55 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Mills

Thanks all for your help with this. 20 years fiddling with computers
and still the consequences of a minor change will have me floundering.
:-)

I'd reset the computer's static LAN IPs to suit the default range of
the new router, which caused the old router to become inaccessible.
Temporarily changing a computer to "Obtain an IP address
automatically" allowed me to turn off wireless, dhcp, firewall and
upnp in the router config. This, I hope will clear any obstacles to
using the old router as a switch.
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills
Old November 28th 09, 09:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

Geoff Mills wrote:
Thanks all for your help with this. 20 years fiddling with computers
and still the consequences of a minor change will have me floundering.
:-)

I'd reset the computer's static LAN IPs to suit the default range of
the new router, which caused the old router to become inaccessible.
Temporarily changing a computer to "Obtain an IP address
automatically" allowed me to turn off wireless, dhcp, firewall and
upnp in the router config. This, I hope will clear any obstacles to
using the old router as a switch.

I'd suggest changing it to an IP in the same range as your new router,
so you can easily do whatever you need to with it.

Alex