OT but is about phones

Old November 30th 09, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mick.

Default OT but is about phones

Hi all,
My isp does not carry newsgroup descriptions so finding groups is
difficult.
I have an ordinary BT landline with my number in the phone book.
My problem is the amount of cold and other Spam call I get each day
sometimes a dozen or more.
Can anyone say if there is a way besides ripping the phone out of stopping
them please?
Or if you know the group I should ask this in.
Thanks, Mick.

Old November 30th 09, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mick.

Thank you very much now registered.
Mick.
"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in message
Mick. wrote:

I have an ordinary BT landline with my number in the phone book.
My problem is the amount of cold and other Spam call I get each day
sometimes a dozen or more.
Can anyone say if there is a way besides ripping the phone out of
stopping
them please?

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/
I think there may be a few others too. It's not an instant hit but calls
will certainly reduce as the weeks go by and business update their lists
etc. or whatever they do.

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk

Old November 30th 09, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger Mills

Mick. wrote:

Thank you very much now registered.
Mick.

Don't hold your breath!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old December 1st 09, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Harry Stottle

"Mick." wrote in message
Hi all,
My isp does not carry newsgroup descriptions so finding groups is
difficult.
I have an ordinary BT landline with my number in the phone book.
My problem is the amount of cold and other Spam call I get each day
sometimes a dozen or more.
Can anyone say if there is a way besides ripping the phone out of stopping
them please?
Or if you know the group I should ask this in.
Thanks, Mick.

Join the Telephone Preference Service list using the following link, it then
becomes an offence for any company to cold call you
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/ this one really does work, I have several
numbers registered and never receive unsolicited phone calls.

Whilst you are doing this, click on the following link and join the Mail
Preference Service, this stops most direct marketing mail, like credit card
applications
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/mps_choosetype.html

Old December 1st 09, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger Mills

Harry Stottle wrote:

Join the Telephone Preference Service list using the following link,
it then becomes an offence for any company to cold call you
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/ this one really does work, I have
several numbers registered and never receive unsolicited phone calls.

Well, you're b****y lucky then!

I've been on TPS for years but still get lots of calls from firms who
haven't bothered to check the register - and even more from overseas outfits
(over whom TPS have no control) telling me I've won free cruises etc.!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old December 1st 09, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Harry Stottle

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Harry Stottle wrote:

Join the Telephone Preference Service list using the following link,
it then becomes an offence for any company to cold call you
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/ this one really does work, I have
several numbers registered and never receive unsolicited phone calls.

Well, you're b****y lucky then!

I've been on TPS for years but still get lots of calls from firms who
haven't bothered to check the register - and even more from overseas
outfits (over whom TPS have no control) telling me I've won free cruises
etc.!

I hope you have been reporting the offenders through the Information
Commissioner's Office, http://www.ico.gov.uk/ Even the overseas outfits are
still committing an offence if they are acting on behalf of a UK company,
(and possibly an EU company, but I am not sure about that).

When I have received calls in the past, I would always play along,
pretending I was interested, just to get as much information as possible
about the company, which I passed on to the Information Commissioner's
Office. Before hanging up, I also informed the caller that I was on the TPS
list, that I was passing on their information, and that they were liable for
a fine of up to 5000 for every call they made, which seems to have worked
for me.

With the amount of homes now registered with the TPS, (which must be
approaching 70%), it is time the Government made the receiving of
unsolicited phone calls opt in, not opt out, as those not registered are
being targeted more and more, and these people tend to be the elderly and
vulnerable, which are less likely to be aware of the TPS.

Old December 1st 09, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Owain

On 30 Nov, 20:18, "Mick." wrote:
Hi all,
* * * * *My isp does not carry newsgroup descriptions so finding groups is
difficult.
I have an ordinary BT landline with my number in the phone book.

That may be irrelevant; telemarketers will often be sequential
dialling whole blocks of numbers

My problem is the amount of cold and other Spam call I get each day
sometimes a dozen or more.
Can anyone say if there is a way besides ripping the phone out of stopping
them please?
Or if you know the group I should ask this in.

uk.telecom

As well as TPS, get an answering machine and let it intercept all
calls. Or for a bit more money get a Truecall
http://www.truecall.co.uk/

Owain

Old December 3rd 09, 08:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Clint Sharp

In message , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
writes
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/
I think there may be a few others too. It's not an instant hit but calls
will certainly reduce as the weeks go by and business update their lists
etc. or whatever they do.

Agreed, TPS works*. He should also consider going ex directory. I get
very few unsolicited marketing calls and the ones I do get are usually
from my banks wanting to sell me insurance.

* But only for UK marketing companies, if your number is on a list
that's been sold abroad you might as well rip the phone from the wall.
--
Clint Sharp
Old December 3rd 09, 09:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Clint Sharp

In message , Harry Stottle
writes
I hope you have been reporting the offenders through the Information
Commissioner's Office, http://www.ico.gov.uk/ Even the overseas outfits
are still committing an offence if they are acting on behalf of a UK
company, (and possibly an EU company, but I am not sure about that).

When I have received calls in the past, I would always play along,
pretending I was interested, just to get as much information as
possible about the company, which I passed on to the Information
Commissioner's Office.

First thing I do before talking to the few rare ones that still call is
to get their company details before I let them speak to me.

Before hanging up, I also informed the caller that I was on the TPS
list, that I was passing on their information, and that they were
liable for a fine of up to 5000 for every call they made, which seems
to have worked for me.

Then I tell them that and listen to them bluster for a while before I
hang up. If they're really arsey I'll tell them I record all calls (I
don't) and will be posting it to the company that employed them and on
the Internet for anyone to listen to complete with their name and
company details.

With the amount of homes now registered with the TPS, (which must be
approaching 70%), it is time the Government made the receiving of
unsolicited phone calls opt in, not opt out, as those not registered
are being targeted more and more, and these people tend to be the
elderly and vulnerable, which are less likely to be aware of the TPS.

Agreed, a friend's elderly mother ended up with bills of several
thousand pounds for services she didn't need or even want as a result of
that sort of pond scum.

It took several months before anyone realised that she wasn't eating
properly or heating the house properly as autumn arrived because she was
ashamed that she owed money and was covering it up as she struggled to
pay them.
--
Clint Sharp
Old December 3rd 09, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Clint Sharp

In message
,
Owain writes
I have an ordinary BT landline with my number in the phone book.

That may be irrelevant; telemarketers will often be sequential
dialling whole blocks of numbers

I don't think that's legal in the UK is it?

Owain

--
Clint Sharp