What has happened to this group?

Old December 12th 09, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
divoch

Default What has happened to this group?

It is many months I last posted here but I cannot recognize the group. There
is so much spam rubbish posted now.
divoch

Old December 12th 09, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Nice

"divoch" wrote in message
It is many months I last posted here but I cannot recognize the group.
There is so much spam rubbish posted now.
divoch

If spam upsets you that much I suggest you give up. Alternatively try
googling for killfile, and meanwhile stop whining

John

Old December 12th 09, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Higton

In message
"divoch" wrote:

It is many months I last posted here but I cannot recognize the group.
There is so much spam rubbish posted now

Get yourself a good news service. Hint: it may not be free of
charge.

I use news.individual.de and it's rare for me to see spam here.

Dave
Old December 13th 09, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"divoch" wrote in message ...
It is many months I last posted here but I cannot recognize the group. There is so much spam rubbish posted now.
divoch

I can see about 5 such posts since the beginning of the month, if you are seeing considerably
more I suggest you change your newsserver for one with better filters.
Mind you, the number of legitimate posts has been low recently, consequently the signal
to noise ratio looks bad.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 13th 09, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 23:32:24 +0000, Graham. wrote:

"divoch" wrote in message
It is many months I last posted here but I cannot recognize the group.
There is so much spam rubbish posted now. divoch

I can see about 5 such posts since the beginning of the month, if you
are seeing considerably more I suggest you change your newsserver for
one with better filters. Mind you, the number of legitimate posts has
been low recently, consequently the signal to noise ratio looks bad.

I agree that this group has changed. I think that the spam has driven
some people away. Some of the regulars, who were the bedrock of this
group, are rarely seen now - very sad! It might be that some people come
here for the first time, and see all the rubbish, so they don't take the
group seriously and just go away. I use filters in my News Client. I use
'Pan' on Ubuntu Linux. So, look around for a News client that has good
filters.
Having said all that I think that these spammers are a b****y nuisance.
It is like having a new carpet and then these people come in and ruin it
with their muddy boots. I really hate them but what can you do?
Something needs to be done about spam in general, on the Net, it is a
massive waste of data. It slows the Net down and is bad for everyone.

--
Please remove 'no_spam_' from email address
Old December 14th 09, 02:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message
[...]

I'm still here (it was me who started the group, for those with long
enough memories ) but I find there doesn't seem to be a lot to say
these days.

Still, at least we seem to have lost Ron Chew (although he's still
around on uk.transport.buses amongst other places :-( )

Ivor

Old December 14th 09, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Desk Rabbit

divoch wrote:
It is many months I last posted here but I cannot recognize the group.
There is so much spam rubbish posted now.

Is there?

I think you need to get a new provider and/or investigate usenet spam
filtering.
Old December 14th 09, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
divoch

"Desk Rabbit" wrote in message
divoch wrote:
It is many months I last posted here but I cannot recognize the group.
There is so much spam rubbish posted now.

Is there?

Yes.

I think you need to get a new provider and/or investigate usenet spam
filtering.

My provider, ntl , now virginmedia, has not changed. Maybe I need to do
something about filtering but only because there is that much more spam.
Maybe I shall not bother because, as Ivor pointed out, there is probably not
that much new and relevant to say.

divoch

Old December 15th 09, 12:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mike

Ivor Jones wrote:

Still, at least we seem to have lost Ron Chew

Maybe that's the problem Ivor? Hey Ron .....

Old December 15th 09, 01:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

On 14/12/09 23:38, Mike wrote:
Ivor Jones wrote:

Still, at least we seem to have lost Ron Chew

Maybe that's the problem Ivor? Hey Ron .....

Oh no, don't encourage him..! :P

Ivor