Skype Directories

Old December 29th 09, 12:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Roger Mills

Default Skype Directories

I've just acquired a new Skypephone S2 on the 3 Network - which provides
free calls to other Skype users. This is all well and good - except that I
haven't a clue how to find which of my potential contacts use Skype.

I have set up a Skype account on the phone, and have received a welcome
email pointing me at the Skype website. The Help info on the site suggests
that I should be able to log on to my account (using my PC), and then click
on a Directory tab to search for other users. But when I log on, there's no
Directory tab to be seen - only tabs for managing the account and buying
credits - which I don't wish to do.

I haven't actually downloaded and installed the Skype application on my PC
because I won't be using it for making Skype phone calls. Do I need to do so
in order to access the Directory? If not, how else do I do it?

TIA.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old December 29th 09, 12:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Steve Terry

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
[...]

does make editing and using your mobile Skype settings much easier

Steve Terry
--
Get a free Three 3pay Sim with 2 bonus after 10 top up
http://freeagent.three.co.uk/stand/view/id/5276

Old December 29th 09, 05:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
CJB

On Dec 29, 12:30*am, "Steve Terry" wrote:
[...]

Get a free Three 3pay Sim with 2 bonus after 10 top uphttp://freeagent.three.co.uk/stand/view/id/5276- Hide quoted text -

Agreed.

And you will find that once loaded Skype on your PC will keep being
refreshed as contacts come online or go offline. On the S2 you will
frequently find that your contacts seem to be offline or away (small
grey cross icon or orange icon); whereas on the PC they may well be
flagged as being online (small green tick icon). Apparently the S2
does not keep refreshing the list of contacts with each one's
availability status.

Irritatingly if a contact on the S2 is flagged as offline (or away)
then it refuses to connect to it, even if on the PC that same contact
is flagged as being online.

The only way I've found of refreshing the status of the contacts on
the S2 is to turn the phone off and then on again so as to have to re-
sign into Skype. This makes using Skype on the S2 an irritation rather
than being really user-friendly. So much for being a smart phone - so
smart it has to be switched off and then on again to update the list
of Skype contacts!!

And don't expect to connect to an online contact every time.
Frequently Skype connections fail. Sound quality can range from good
to appallingly bad. Best to get used to the quality on your PC first.

And your contacts will not be able to intitate a call to your S2
either. You'll have to call them - every time.

The S2 is cheap and unreliable rubbish - as is '3's services in
general. Skype is good on a PC, but on a mobile phone - don't expect
miracles ...

CJB.
Old December 29th 09, 08:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Roger Mills

-

[...]

Thank you - Steve and CJB - for your comments.

But neither of you has answered my basic question!

Although I have lots of contacts whose email address and/or phone numbers I
know, I don't currently have *any* Skype contacts per se. How the hell do I
find out which - if any - of my general contacts are Skype users, and what
their Skype IDs are - other than by asking them individually?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old December 29th 09, 08:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
News Reader

[...]

Hi,

Here is a suggestion of two easy ways:

i) go to add contact - enter your contacts e-mail address or name and see
what results get offered back
ii) install Skype on your PC - then go to add contact - you will then be
able to enter names, e-mail addresses or other details and get a list of
search results

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

News Reader

Old December 29th 09, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Harry Stottle

"CJB" wrote in message

[...]

I think you should have a play with the phone a bit more. To refresh Skype
contacts on the S2 you just open the Skype contacts list, then click
'Options', and the first option is 'Refresh Now'. Also, you can't expect a
mobile phone running Skype, with varying signal strengths, to be as reliable
as a computer connected to the Internet, and if your signal drops, of course
your contacts available are going to change as you are not available to
them, and they are not available to you.

Old December 29th 09, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Graham.

And your contacts will not be able to intitate a call to your S2
either. You'll have to call them - every time.

By that, do just mean when they appear off-line to the caller?
Because if you are saying incomming Skype calls to the S2 are not possible
you are wrong.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 29th 09, 12:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Ian Smith

Harry Stottle wrote:

I think you should have a play with the phone a bit more. To refresh
Skype contacts on the S2 you just open the Skype contacts list, then
click 'Options', and the first option is 'Refresh Now'.

Not on mine it isn't.

I've updated the Skype application and this option appears to have
been removed, although I did see it before.

regards, Ian
Old December 29th 09, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.mobile
Ian Smith

CJB wrote:

And your contacts will not be able to intitate a call to your S2
either. You'll have to call them - every time.

Not true - incoming Skype calls ring like any other incoming call.

The S2 is cheap and unreliable rubbish - as is '3's services in
general. Skype is good on a PC, but on a mobile phone - don't expect
miracles ...

Half right.

It is cheap, but so far I've found it sturdy, well designed and
perfectly reliable - with excellent RF performance.

regards, Ian