P2P connection but not Skype

Old December 31st 09, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

Default P2P connection but not Skype

Is there as way of using the Interweb for PC to PC comms a la
Skype but without using Skype?

It would be useful to be able to have voice (even audio-visual)
communications with my daughter free of charge wherever she is
but without showing everyone when she is on line as Skype insists
on doing.

Yes I know I could have, say, two accounts with Sipgate, but I
just wondered if there is a non-Skype Skype-type alternative.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old December 31st 09, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Woody" wrote in message ...
Is there as way of using the Interweb for PC to PC comms a la Skype but without using Skype?

It would be useful to be able to have voice (even audio-visual) communications with my daughter free of charge wherever she is but
without showing everyone when she is on line as Skype insists on doing.

Yes I know I could have, say, two accounts with Sipgate, but I just wondered if there is a non-Skype Skype-type alternative.

You clearly know about SIP alternatives like Sipgate, so I'm not sure what it is you are asking.

"Your online status" in Skype can be set to invisible and you can elect to receive calls
only from people on your contact list.

Are you aware that there is a cheap mobile PAYG phone, the 3 Skypephone S2 that
will make and receive Skype to Skype calls even without 3 credit?
It was the best thing I bought my lad when he went to Uni.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 31st 09, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Don

In ,
Woody typed:
Is there as way of using the Interweb for PC to PC comms a la
Skype but without using Skype?

It would be useful to be able to have voice (even audio-visual)
communications with my daughter free of charge wherever she is
but without showing everyone when she is on line as Skype insists
on doing.

Yes I know I could have, say, two accounts with Sipgate, but I
just wondered if there is a non-Skype Skype-type alternative.

Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger both give text messaging, voice and video
calls. With Yahoo you can definitely set it up to withhold your online
status - I guess it's also possible in MSN but haven't used it.

I've used the Yahoo one successfully from a netbook using a wifi access
point, as well as around the house.

--
Don

Old January 1st 10, 09:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Al Bowlly

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 20:11:16 +0000, Woody struck up his trombone and
blew....

Is there as way of using the Interweb for PC to PC comms a la Skype but
without using Skype?

It would be useful to be able to have voice (even audio-visual)
communications with my daughter free of charge wherever she is but
without showing everyone when she is on line as Skype insists on doing.

Yes I know I could have, say, two accounts with Sipgate, but I just
wondered if there is a non-Skype Skype-type alternative.

Personal choice: Ekiga

--
Midnight, the stars a n d you.........