voip bandwidth

Old January 1st 10, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
andrew

Default voip bandwidth

I'm trying to judge how much bandwidth I'll use, to see how many hours of
talk time 1GB of payg 3g broadband will give me. Assuming the provider
doesn't fix the qos on a voip call.

Guessing that it would be about the same as 56k bit modem that works out
about 40 hours or are my calculations wrong?

AJH
Old January 1st 10, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Christian

I'm trying to judge how much bandwidth I'll use, to see how many
hours of talk time 1GB of payg 3g broadband will give me.

Guessing that it would be about the same as 56k bit modem that
works out about 40 hours or are my calculations wrong?

Is that 1GB up and down combined? Remember that you have 2 streams going:
one up and one down. So that reduces the result of that calculation to 20
hours.

Another thing: if you use a G711-codec, it should be 64kbit (G726 or G729
are more economical, but sound worse). So that gets you to 17 hours on 1GB.

Christian

Old January 1st 10, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
andrew wrote:
I'm trying to judge how much bandwidth I'll use, to see how many hours of
talk time 1GB of payg 3g broadband will give me. Assuming the provider
doesn't fix the qos on a voip call.

Guessing that it would be about the same as 56k bit modem that works out
about 40 hours or are my calculations wrong?

Uncompressed G711 voice over IP uses about 80Kbits per second, each
way. It's 64,000 bits per second plus the IP overhead.

If you're using compression (e.g. GSM, G729, etc) then it will be
much less.

You're looking at about 29 hours of speech - one way, but if that 1GB
is counted as both ways data, then it's half, or about 14 hours.

It's not QoS that may be an issue it's more like the terms & conditions
of service. You may well find they prohibit VoIP or other streaming media,
so they may kick you off. Latency may also be an issue - it's quite high,
so you may notice delays. A bit like long distance calls used to be via
sattelite. (And sometimes still are)

Good luck!

Gordon
Old January 1st 10, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
andrew

Christian wrote:

I'm trying to judge how much bandwidth I'll use, to see how many
hours of talk time 1GB of payg 3g broadband will give me.

Guessing that it would be about the same as 56k bit modem that
works out about 40 hours or are my calculations wrong?

Is that 1GB up and down combined? Remember that you have 2 streams going:
one up and one down. So that reduces the result of that calculation to 20
hours.

Another thing: if you use a G711-codec, it should be 64kbit (G726 or G729
are more economical, but sound worse). So that gets you to 17 hours on
1GB.

Yes I had missed the up and down but presumably people mostly don't speak at
once so the silence shouldn't count?

Either way 17 hours is a lot of talking a month!

Thanks Christian
Old January 1st 10, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"andrew" wrote in message ...
I'm trying to judge how much bandwidth I'll use, to see how many hours of
talk time 1GB of payg 3g broadband will give me. Assuming the provider
doesn't fix the qos on a voip call.

Guessing that it would be about the same as 56k bit modem that works out
about 40 hours or are my calculations wrong?

AJH

If you have a compatible handset, you can freeload on the 3 free Skype
calls forever promise, and call through a Skype to SIP gateway.

http://www.skypegateway.webs.com/

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%