Is it ok to leave my mic plugged in?

Old January 8th 10, 11:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gavin X

Default Is it ok to leave my mic plugged in?

I'm very new to VOIP. (I signed up with Skype yesterday.)

Are there any potential privacy problems if I leave Skype running
and my PC mic is plugged in.

I mean is there a real chance of some clever hacks which someone
might use to listen in on my PC mic without me realising?
Old January 8th 10, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Davies

Gavin X wrote:
Are there any potential privacy problems if I leave Skype running
and my PC mic is plugged in.

Yes, potentially, but probably not.

I mean is there a real chance of some clever hacks which someone
might use to listen in on my PC mic without me realising?

You won't know until it's too late.
Chris
Old January 9th 10, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Gavin X" wrote in message m...
I'm very new to VOIP. (I signed up with Skype yesterday.)

Are there any potential privacy problems if I leave Skype running
and my PC mic is plugged in.

I mean is there a real chance of some clever hacks which someone
might use to listen in on my PC mic without me realising?

It depends on how paranoid you are. Sure, it's possible. Even
if you didn't have a VoIP application on your computer someone
like Gary McKinnon could use one of his Pearl scripts to deploy
one that runs stealthfully. Most laptops have a built in mic that can't
be physically disconnected easily, ditto webcam.

Goodness me, I'm getting worried now...

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old January 10th 10, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave

"Graham." wrote in message

"Gavin X" wrote in message
m...
I'm very new to VOIP. (I signed up with Skype yesterday.)

Are there any potential privacy problems if I leave Skype running
and my PC mic is plugged in.

I mean is there a real chance of some clever hacks which someone
might use to listen in on my PC mic without me realising?

It depends on how paranoid you are. Sure, it's possible. Even
if you didn't have a VoIP application on your computer someone
like Gary McKinnon could use one of his Pearl scripts to deploy
one that runs stealthfully. Most laptops have a built in mic that can't
be physically disconnected easily, ditto webcam.

Goodness me, I'm getting worried now...

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

And your cell phone - that can also turned on, along with the camera ! - ALL
without you knowing !

Old January 11th 10, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

On 10/01/10 14:14, Dave wrote:

"Graham." wrote in message

"Gavin X" wrote in message
m...
I'm very new to VOIP. (I signed up with Skype yesterday.)

Are there any potential privacy problems if I leave Skype running
and my PC mic is plugged in.

I mean is there a real chance of some clever hacks which someone
might use to listen in on my PC mic without me realising?

It depends on how paranoid you are. Sure, it's possible. Even
if you didn't have a VoIP application on your computer someone
like Gary McKinnon could use one of his Pearl scripts to deploy
one that runs stealthfully. Most laptops have a built in mic that can't
be physically disconnected easily, ditto webcam.

Goodness me, I'm getting worried now...

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

And your cell phone - that can also turned on, along with the camera ! -
ALL without you knowing !

The black helicopters are hovering as we speak.........

Ivor

Old January 11th 10, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
On 10/01/10 14:14, Dave wrote:

"Graham." wrote in message

"Gavin X" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Yep, It can be done for 'tactical monitoring' - remove the battery !

Dave.

Old January 19th 10, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

On 11/01/10 12:27, Dave wrote:

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
On 10/01/10 14:14, Dave wrote:

[snip]

And your cell phone - that can also turned on, along with the camera ! -
ALL without you knowing !

The black helicopters are hovering as we speak.........

Ivor

Yep, It can be done for 'tactical monitoring' - remove the battery !

Dave.

Not without a specially modified phone, it can't. Cite proof.

Ivor

Old February 4th 10, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Salvador Freemanson

On 09/01/2010 00:08, Gavin X wrote:
I'm very new to VOIP. (I signed up with Skype yesterday.)

Are there any potential privacy problems if I leave Skype running
and my PC mic is plugged in.

I mean is there a real chance of some clever hacks which someone
might use to listen in on my PC mic without me realising?

I don't know about all the scare stories of security services watching
over us.
But one thing hapenned here a couple of weeks ago. I saw my niece's
skype was online and clicked to place a video call. Up came her video. I
could see her typing on her computer and hear the clicks as she typed.
She couldn't hear me. This went on for a couple of minutes until I
figured out the reason she couldn't hear me ( I had left my skype set
to external mike instead of the camera mike). She was completely unaware
that I could see her. I should add that she is not at all computer savvy
(obviously!), just a typical teenager.

I can only guess as to how this occurred. I suppose she had accidently
clicked on the accept incoming call button.
But it certainly makes you beware.