Network just stopped working

Old January 9th 10, 03:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor A

Default Network just stopped working

Normally I can access my sons PC and he mine via our home network. Using a
wireless router. He's on XP Home, me Vista. It's just stopped working. Both
computers show when I open the networking icon. I now get the message
Windows cannot access computer X, check the spelling of the name, otherwise
there might be a problem with the network.

Both are in same network and connect to the internet via the wireless
router.

How can I connect them up again?

Old January 9th 10, 03:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"Trevor A" wrote in message
. com...
Normally I can access my sons PC and he mine via our home network. Using a
wireless router. He's on XP Home, me Vista. It's just stopped working.
Both computers show when I open the networking icon. I now get the message
Windows cannot access computer X, check the spelling of the name,
otherwise there might be a problem with the network.

Both are in same network and connect to the internet via the wireless
router.

How can I connect them up again?

The simple and expedient first step is to reboot both PCs and the router,
and see if that solves the problem.

If you want, you could try investigating a bit. For the sake of a few
minutes' work, it might be worth trying it *before you reboot*:

In the following examples, I'm assuming that the PCs are called PC1 and
PC2 - substitute the correct PC names in the following commands.

Do the following at PC1

1. Open a Command Prompt by pressing Start and then Run, typing "cmd" in the
Command field [Windows XP] or typing "cmd" in the Start Search field
[Vista]. Press Enter.
2. A black window with white writing opens.
3. Type "ping PC2" and press Enter
4. You should see four "reply from" lines.
5. Type "net view \\PC2", Enter
6. You should see one or more shared folders and/or printers.
7. Type "net use", Enter
8. You should see one or more drive letters which are linked to shares on
the other PC (eg \\PC2\documents)
9. Type "dir \\PC2\documents" (substitute the name of a shared folder in
place of "documents".

Repeat all those steps at PC2, using "PC1" in the commands.

Old January 9th 10, 03:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"Trevor A" wrote in message
. com...
Normally I can access my sons PC and he mine via our home network. Using a
wireless router. He's on XP Home, me Vista. It's just stopped working.
Both computers show when I open the networking icon. I now get the message
Windows cannot access computer X, check the spelling of the name,
otherwise there might be a problem with the network.

Both are in same network and connect to the internet via the wireless
router.

How can I connect them up again?

One other thing: have you established whether the PCs can each access web
pages and emails? Is it just a PC-to-PC problem, and not a PC-to-internet
problem which could implicate the wireless connection between one or both of
the PCs and the router.

Old January 9th 10, 05:28 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor A

"Mortimer" wrote in message

"Trevor A" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

i HAVE TRIED THE FIRST 2 STEPS PING pc2 GIves me:

Ping request could not find pc2

and net view:

The network path was not found

Old January 9th 10, 05:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor A

"Mortimer" wrote in message
"Trevor A" wrote in message
. com...
Normally I can access my sons PC and he mine via our home network. Using
a wireless router. He's on XP Home, me Vista. It's just stopped working.
Both computers show when I open the networking icon. I now get the
message Windows cannot access computer X, check the spelling of the
name, otherwise there might be a problem with the network.

Both are in same network and connect to the internet via the wireless
router.

How can I connect them up again?

One other thing: have you established whether the PCs can each access web
pages and emails? Is it just a PC-to-PC problem, and not a PC-to-internet
problem which could implicate the wireless connection between one or both
of the PCs and the router.

Both are fine on the internet and PC 2 shows up when I click on the
networking icon on the desk top (I have had networking probs where it
doesn't show)

Old January 9th 10, 05:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor A

"Mortimer" wrote in message

"Trevor A" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Pinging PC1 from PC2 I think I ge tthe four reply times it mentions
something about the time taken, but flashes off to quickly to read.

Old January 9th 10, 05:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Trevor A

"Mortimer" wrote in message

"Trevor A" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

I've noticed that I get error code :

error code 0x80070053

when trying to access PAC from 1 via the networking icon.

Old January 9th 10, 06:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"Trevor A" wrote in message
. com...

"Mortimer" wrote in message

"Trevor A" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

OK. If you can't ping PC2, nothing else will work.

In a Command prompt window on PC2, run "ipconfig" and note the IP (IPv4)
address for the Wireless Networking device. It will probably be something
like 192.168.0.2.

At PC1, in a Command prompt, try "ping 192.168.0.2" (or whatever PC2's
address was). This will tell you whether it's the translation from PC2's
name to its IP address that is failing or whether all IP traffic is being
blocked.

If it's name-address translation that has failed, rebooting everything in
sight may help. I've come across routers which occasionally get their
knickers in a twist.

If this doesn't help or if PC1 can't ping PC2 even using its IP address,
especially if PC2 can ping PC1 (ie going in the opposite direction) then I'd
suspect a firewall problem, probably at PC2.

Has anything changed in the PC setup since the last time it all worked?

Old January 17th 10, 12:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Mills

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 17:29:57 -0000, "Trevor A"
wrote:

One other thing: have you established whether the PCs can each access web
pages and emails? Is it just a PC-to-PC problem, and not a PC-to-internet
problem which could implicate the wireless connection between one or both
of the PCs and the router.

Both are fine on the internet and PC 2 shows up when I click on the
networking icon on the desk top (I have had networking probs where it
doesn't show)

Using XP I often find that trying to access remote folders via windows
icons will fail, causing Windows Explorer to hang and sometimes need
restarting in Task Manager.

Usually when this happens I can go to StartRun and type:
\\remote pc name
and this will show me a window containing a range of accessible
folders on the target computer.

This seems to show that the problem is in windows itself and I
overcome this problem by going to: Network ConnectionsNetwork Setup
Wizard and re-running the Network setup process for each computer
until normal windows functionality is restored.

Sometimes it's only necessary to do this on one of the PCs.

This might be a relatively clumsy method but it has worked well for me
in the past.
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills