Belkin Router as switch. Long waits

Old January 17th 10, 11:52 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Mills

Default Belkin Router as switch. Long waits

Hi, I recently got my demoted Belkin router to work as a switch on my
LAN, thanks to the advice given here.

With DHCP off and a fixed IP address, the switch functions ok, except
that from switch power-up it takes almost a half hour before I can get
the 2 PCs on the other side of it to join the network.

Once available, initial access to shared folders on the LAN requires
an unusually long wait after clicking on them. After being opened for
the first time during a session, any further clicks on a shared folder
will produce a reasonably fast response.

Please can anyone tell me if there is an obvious reason for this?
If not, are there any recommended network utilities to help pinpoint
the cause?

TIA
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills

Old January 17th 10, 11:59 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Geoff Mills
says...

Hi, I recently got my demoted Belkin router to work as a switch on my
LAN, thanks to the advice given here.

With DHCP off and a fixed IP address, the switch functions ok, except
that from switch power-up it takes almost a half hour before I can get
the 2 PCs on the other side of it to join the network.

Once available, initial access to shared folders on the LAN requires
an unusually long wait after clicking on them. After being opened for
the first time during a session, any further clicks on a shared folder
will produce a reasonably fast response.

Please can anyone tell me if there is an obvious reason for this?
If not, are there any recommended network utilities to help pinpoint
the cause?

TIA

ping will tell you where the delay is occurring. Ping the address of one
of the servers and you'll get a list of hops and the time taken at each.

Alternatively, you can use tracert.

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everybody equally.
Old January 18th 10, 05:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adrian C

On 17/01/2010 11:52, Geoff Mills wrote:
Hi, I recently got my demoted Belkin router to work as a switch on my
LAN, thanks to the advice given here.

With DHCP off and a fixed IP address, the switch functions ok, except
that from switch power-up it takes almost a half hour before I can get
the 2 PCs on the other side of it to join the network.

Once available, initial access to shared folders on the LAN requires
an unusually long wait after clicking on them. After being opened for
the first time during a session, any further clicks on a shared folder
will produce a reasonably fast response.

Make sure network adaptors on those PCs are set to the same speed /
duplex settings as the rest (not set as autonegotiate or something the
hub can't handle) and that their DNS and gateway settings are correctly
pointing inside your local network. Could also be cabling issues.

--
Adrian C
Old January 20th 10, 09:30 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Mills

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 11:59:05 -0000, Conor wrote:

In article , Geoff Mills
says...

[...]

Thanks, Pinging the switch produces a quick and positive response.
Pinging the 2 computers beyond the switch does no good until these
computers join the LAN some long time later.
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills

Old January 20th 10, 09:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Mills

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 17:53:37 +0000, Adrian C
wrote:

On 17/01/2010 11:52, Geoff Mills wrote:
Hi, I recently got my demoted Belkin router to work as a switch on my
LAN, thanks to the advice given here.

With DHCP off and a fixed IP address, the switch functions ok, except
that from switch power-up it takes almost a half hour before I can get
the 2 PCs on the other side of it to join the network.

Once available, initial access to shared folders on the LAN requires
an unusually long wait after clicking on them. After being opened for
the first time during a session, any further clicks on a shared folder
will produce a reasonably fast response.

Make sure network adaptors on those PCs are set to the same speed /
duplex settings as the rest (not set as autonegotiate or something the
hub can't handle) and that their DNS and gateway settings are correctly
pointing inside your local network.

Thanks, I'll work my way through those possibilities and see if I can
improve the situation that way.

Could also be cabling issues.

Until the 2 computers beyond the switch eventually join the LAN,
there's a "Network cable unplugged" warning on both machines.
fiddling with the cables themselves makes no difference.
There's just a long time lag, then all is ok.
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills

Old January 22nd 10, 12:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob

"Geoff Mills" wrote in message
Hi, I recently got my demoted Belkin router to work as a switch on my
LAN, thanks to the advice given here.

With DHCP off and a fixed IP address, the switch functions ok, except
that from switch power-up it takes almost a half hour before I can get
the 2 PCs on the other side of it to join the network.

Once available, initial access to shared folders on the LAN requires
an unusually long wait after clicking on them. After being opened for
the first time during a session, any further clicks on a shared folder
will produce a reasonably fast response.

Please can anyone tell me if there is an obvious reason for this?
If not, are there any recommended network utilities to help pinpoint
the cause?

Double check that all the PCs have a static IP on the same subnet.
Assuming they do, try leaving the Belkin switched-on and power
cycle all the PCs. If there is now no delay, you at least know the
delay is in the router's power-up routine. Check all the things AdrianC
mentions, of a matter of course.

HTH,
--
Rob

Old January 22nd 10, 10:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Harry Bloomfield

Geoff Mills wrote :
Please can anyone tell me if there is an obvious reason for this?
If not, are there any recommended network utilities to help pinpoint
the cause?

Fixed IP's have always seemed to appear much faster on the network for
me.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old January 24th 10, 09:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Mills

This morning I positioned the switch so that I could observe it from
power-on whilst sitting in bed with a cuppa. After 45 minutes it
stopped flickering and came on solid. Meanwhile as a result of my
relaxed position watching the twinkling lights I had positively
transcended. So, I'm going to settle for it, keep things the way they
are and make the switch observation part of my daily regime.
Thanks for the advice.
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills

Old January 24th 10, 08:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:51:04 +0000, Geoff Mills wrote:

This morning I positioned the switch so that I could observe it from
power-on whilst sitting in bed with a cuppa. After 45 minutes it
stopped flickering and came on solid. Meanwhile as a result of my
relaxed position watching the twinkling lights I had positively
transcended. So, I'm going to settle for it, keep things the way they
are and make the switch observation part of my daily regime.
Thanks for the advice.

I suggest you go back into the WAN side of the router and see if any other
configuration will allow it to come to terms with the fact than nothing is
working at the front end and enable the switch/hub on the LAN side sooner.

You didn't say what kind of router - is it DSL or Ethernet? If DSL try a
bridged mode configuration. With DSL or ethernet, see if you can configure
for fixed IP to prevent its DHCP client struggle with no available server.

Tony
Old February 7th 10, 06:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Mills

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 15:58:18 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold"
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:51:04 +0000, Geoff Mills wrote:

This morning I positioned the switch so that I could observe it from
power-on whilst sitting in bed with a cuppa. After 45 minutes it
stopped flickering and came on solid. Meanwhile as a result of my
relaxed position watching the twinkling lights I had positively
transcended. So, I'm going to settle for it, keep things the way they
are and make the switch observation part of my daily regime.
Thanks for the advice.

I suggest you go back into the WAN side of the router and see if any other
configuration will allow it to come to terms with the fact than nothing is
working at the front end and enable the switch/hub on the LAN side sooner.

Thanks Tony, after trying a lot of the possible WAN setting
variations, there was an option in WAN 'Connection Types':
'Disable Internet sharing (Bridge Mode, for single PC)',
which although it seemed a bit extreme, worked perfectly!

Now, instead of 45 minutes, it takes about 20 seconds to sort itself
out. :-)

You didn't say what kind of router - is it DSL or Ethernet?

You seem to know what you're on about, so I'm probably not
understanding what you mean here. It's DSL on the WAN side and
Ethernet on the LAN side

If DSL try a bridged mode configuration.

I did, as explained above, based upon your advice, and it worked very
well.

With DSL or ethernet, see if you can configure
for fixed IP to prevent its DHCP client struggle with no available server.

With the other options there did remain various settings for IP
address.
With the 'Disable Internet sharing (Bridge Mode, for single PC)'
there was only the: 'VPI/VCI' and 'Encapsulation' under the 'ATM
Interface' heading. So, this relieved me of any need to make guesses
on that score.

Again, thanks a lot, that was a big help in completely fixing the
problem.

--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills