What's the best way to use Skype ?

Old January 20th 10, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephen Hammond

Default What's the best way to use Skype ?

Everyone else seems to use it. Can I use it like a normal phone with a local
number without my computer turned on etc.

Old January 20th 10, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Stephen Hammond" wrote in message ...

Everyone else seems to use it. Can I use it like a normal phone with a local number without my computer turned on etc.

Yes, I believe there are adapters availible that work like a SIP ATA,
but the best way to use Skype is with a 3 Skypephone S2 PAYG mobile, as the 3 network
are kind enough to allow unlimeted Skype to Skype calls even if you don't top-up.

If you want to make calls to non-Skype phones (landlines and mobiles) still without
topping up the 3 account have a look at these notes I put together last September.
www.skypegateway.webs.com

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old January 21st 10, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve Terry

"Stephen Hammond" wrote in message

Everyone else seems to use it. Can I use it like a normal phone with a
local number without my computer turned on etc.

Seems only yesterday when Skype was a dirty word on this NG

Popularity changes perceptions

Steve Terry
--
Get a free Three 3pay Sim with 2 bonus after 10 top up
http://freeagent.three.co.uk/stand/view/id/5276

Old January 21st 10, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger Mills

Steve Terry wrote:

"Stephen Hammond" wrote in
message ...

Everyone else seems to use it. Can I use it like a normal phone with
a local number without my computer turned on etc.

Seems only yesterday when Skype was a dirty word on this NG

Popularity changes perceptions

Steve Terry

Just how popular *is* it? I've only succeeded in finding two of my friends
who are subscribers - and they've both been off-line every time I've tried
to call them!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old January 21st 10, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephen Hammond

Is there an ATA for Skype ? I don't know but I've only seen two fairly
phatic responses

Old January 21st 10, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob

"Steve Terry" wrote in message
"Stephen Hammond" wrote in message

Everyone else seems to use it. Can I use it like a normal phone with a
local number without my computer turned on etc.

Seems only yesterday when Skype was a dirty word on this NG

Popularity changes perceptions

Not so much popularity changing perceptions (as far as this group is
concerned) I think, but the ability to do what Graham has described in other
threads using the info/tutorial he has provided at the link given.

By taking advantage of the 'Free Skype for life' offer from mobile phone
provider 'three', and then being able to make VoIP calls from a mobile phone
for little or no cost, it makes at least some use of Skype slightly more
attractive.

Rob

Old January 21st 10, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, Roger Mills
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Just how popular *is* it? I've only succeeded in finding two of my friends
who are subscribers - and they've both been off-line every time I've tried
to call them!

I haven't used it for years, but extended family keep bugging me to sign in,
the Mrs uses it and customers of my employer use it too, so I think there is
some validity to claims of popularity. Even my mum uses it!

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
DIMENSION-CONTROLLING FORT DOH HAS NOW BEEN DEMOLISHED,

Old January 21st 10, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Rob" wrote in message o.uk...

"Steve Terry" wrote in message ...
"Stephen Hammond" wrote in message ...

Everyone else seems to use it. Can I use it like a normal phone with a local number without my computer turned on etc.

Seems only yesterday when Skype was a dirty word on this NG

Popularity changes perceptions

Not so much popularity changing perceptions (as far as this group is concerned) I think, but the ability to do what Graham has
described in other threads using the info/tutorial he has provided at the link given.

By taking advantage of the 'Free Skype for life' offer from mobile phone provider 'three', and then being able to make VoIP calls
from a mobile phone for little or no cost, it makes at least some use of Skype slightly more attractive.

Very more attractive I would say ;-)

For the record, I am just as dismissive of any notion that Skype is a cheap
way of calling traditional mobiles and landlines directly as I have ever been.
Skype Out is three times more expensive to call a UK mobile than it is with smartvoip.

I see Skype as no different from other social networking audio / video / screen-sharing
applications like MSN messenger, and if a mobile network want to give me free access
one of these other services I will be happy to take advantage of that too.

It's now 4 months since my lad went to Uni with his S2 and apart from the initial
10 "3" credit he has not paid a penny to "3", and certainly not to Skype.
I keep his smartvoip credit topped up for the gateway account, and am happy to do so.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old January 22nd 10, 12:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton

"Stephen Hammond" wrote in message

Everyone else seems to use it. Can I use it like a normal phone with a
local number without my computer turned on etc.

Look on Voipfone website.

Several Nokia phones will do VOIP over wi-fi or even 3G.