DID - Phone number : Who / How much ?

Old January 23rd 10, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve

Default DID - Phone number : Who / How much ?

Hi,

I am ready to buy phone numbers for my Asterisk server , but I am bit
surprised of the price
of it. That sounds something around $ 80 per year. just for a number.

How do you explain that some Provider ( like Sipgate UK,) or other
IPKALL can offer UK or US phone numbers for free ??????

How can they offer this for free ???

A German or French number can be found for about EUR 80/year

- Is there any DID Wholesaler ?
- What kind of price can I found on he market ?

Thanks for your help
Old January 23rd 10, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

"Steve" [email protected] wrote in message
Hi,

I am ready to buy phone numbers for my Asterisk server , but I
am bit surprised of the price
of it. That sounds something around $ 80 per year. just for a
number.

How do you explain that some Provider ( like Sipgate UK,) or
other
IPKALL can offer UK or US phone numbers for free ??????

How can they offer this for free ???

A German or French number can be found for about EUR 80/year

- Is there any DID Wholesaler ?
- What kind of price can I found on he market ?

Thanks for your help

Er, excuse me but this is a UK group.

WTF is DID?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old January 23rd 10, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Woody wrote:
"Steve" [email protected] wrote in message
Hi,

I am ready to buy phone numbers for my Asterisk server , but I
am bit surprised of the price
of it. That sounds something around $ 80 per year. just for a
number.

How do you explain that some Provider ( like Sipgate UK,) or
other
IPKALL can offer UK or US phone numbers for free ??????

How can they offer this for free ???

A German or French number can be found for about EUR 80/year

- Is there any DID Wholesaler ?
- What kind of price can I found on he market ?

Thanks for your help

Er, excuse me but this is a UK group.

WTF is DID?

Direct Inbound Dialling. We call them DDI's.

And yes, they're not always free. Why should they be? The ITSPs need to
maintain equipment to handle inbound calls - they interface the PSTN to
the Internet and that costs money, so why shouldn't they charge?

Some ITSPs don't charge - good for them. They still have their on-going
costs, but they cover them by charging elsewhere. Or hope to.

IPKALL is free, but do note what it says on the front page:

"we do NOT provide any customer service."

You get what you pay for.

Gordon
Old January 23rd 10, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham Murray

"Woody" writes:

Er, excuse me but this is a UK group.

WTF is DID?

Direct Inward Dialling
Old January 23rd 10, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Woody" wrote in message ...
"Steve" [email protected] wrote in message ...
Hi,

I am ready to buy phone numbers for my Asterisk server , but I am bit surprised of the price
of it. That sounds something around $ 80 per year. just for a number.

How do you explain that some Provider ( like Sipgate UK,) or other
IPKALL can offer UK or US phone numbers for free ??????

How can they offer this for free ???

A German or French number can be found for about EUR 80/year

- Is there any DID Wholesaler ?
- What kind of price can I found on he market ?

Thanks for your help

Er, excuse me but this is a UK group.

He appears to be French, but I don't hold that against him :-)
Actually he raises an interesting point, UK numbers are easy for anyone in the
world to obtain, the only European one I have so far got FOC is an Itallian one
http://www.euteliavoip.com

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old January 24th 10, 07:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve

Graham. wrote:
"Woody" wrote in message ...
[...]

Hi Graham,

Graham.... you're right .. I am french ! :-)
How did you find this ?...I will make sure to be not discovered next
time :-)

Anyway, Gordon mentioned that companies provide support, to justify
their cost.. which support do they provide on DID ?
I understand that IPKALL doesn't provide support, but they provide the
US numbers for free and these numbers have a cost. If I understood
correctly, they paid for it. Where do they get they money back ?
I took un US number from ipkall and it doesn't cost me one penny

Should be the same for italian numbers... Do you pay your communication
with this provider ?

Cheers,

Old January 24th 10, 09:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Geo

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 08:42:00 +0100, Steve [email protected] wrote:

Hi Graham,

Graham.... you're right .. I am french ! :-)
How did you find this ?...I will make sure to be not discovered next
time :-)

Well - included in your message is this information:-

I doubt you will be able to change that :-)

--
Geo
Old January 24th 10, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article [email protected], Steve [email protected] wrote:

Anyway, Gordon mentioned that companies provide support, to justify
their cost.. which support do they provide on DID ?

It's not just to justify the cost and to provide supprot - it's because
it actually costs us money to host/maintain the numbers for you, and
these fees originate from various sources...

Nummbers don't just "appear" out of thin air - it's all very country
dependant, but for example, to start with you may need licenses,
membership fees, etc. and be members of some governemnt quango setup to
regulate such things and you then need equipment that will bridge the PSTN
and the Internet and a means to pass calls both ways - it costs money to
buy (or lease) and host that equipment in a data centre somewhere. Some
makes of equipment also require licensing fees on a per number, channel or
some other fictional reason basis, based on what the proprietary vendor
thinks they can get away with. Getting a good internet feed (or multiple
feeds) also costs money, so you need an investment there. Paying staff
costs money, so ...

And so on.

I understand that IPKALL doesn't provide support, but they provide the
US numbers for free and these numbers have a cost. If I understood
correctly, they paid for it. Where do they get they money back ?
I took un US number from ipkall and it doesn't cost me one penny

Maybe that they have a generous philanthropist running it, or maybe
it's just so cheap in the US, that it's not worth bothering with.

Or maybe it's a government sting so they can investigate how to tap into
VoIP calls.. Who knows :-)

Actually, it looks like IPKALL is a small part of a larger telephone
company, so maybe they're just dabbling to see what the market is - if
they already have infrastructure, it's probably easy for them to just
stick an asterisk server or 2 on their network somewhere and let it run...

So you want free numbers - go for it, but if you're selling-on services
backed by these free numbers, or having a business reliant on it, then
think twice. Sipgate quote 48 hours turnaround on support calls last
time I looked. I want 2 miutes, not 2 days if I have a problem and have
customers dependant on it, and I'm willing to pay for that.

Gordon
Old January 27th 10, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 16:37:07 -0800, Owain wrote:

On 23 Jan, 19:43, "Graham." wrote:
Actually he raises an interesting point, UK numbers are easy for anyone
in the world to obtain, the only European one I have so far got FOC is
an Itallian one
*http://www.euteliavoip.com

I thought the Italian regulator had some tiresome requirement that
Italian VoIP terminals had to be located in Italy, rather negating much
of the usefulness of VoIP?

Owain

OK, so while we are on this subject, has anyone found a cheap/free DID
provider for Spain?

--
Please remove 'no_spam_' from email address