Problem connecting wif'd computer to non-wifi'd computer.

Old January 31st 10, 09:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 210 + on netbook

Default Problem connecting wif'd computer to non-wifi'd computer.

Up 'til recently I have been running two desk top computers through ethernet
connections and a netbook through wifi all networked through a 2wire
2700HGV hub. I have now moved the hub some distance away from the two desk
tops to improve my DSL connection (been getting many dropped connections of
late - so connection directly to the main 'phone socket is needed to improve
this situation). I have successfully connected the main desktop m/c to the
hub by wifi using a wifi dongle, but as the second desktop is running
Windows 98 I cannot find a wifi card or dongle that supports W98. So I'm
playing around with using a short (2m) crossover ethernet lead between the
desktops. So far so good as I can shift data between all three computers
OK. Unfortunately I cannot get the W98 computer to connect to the Internet
although I have set up a network bridge between wifi and LAN connection on
the main desktop computer. It may be that I'm in the dark and confused
about how to set up the various IP addresses for this, although since I am
able to shift data from the wifi'd netbook to the W98 m/c I would have
thought I'd got it correct. Any suggestions as to where I must be going
wrong would be appreciated.
TIA
--
Heard melodies are sweet, but those Unheard are sweeter
FN 29 +, Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Old January 31st 10, 11:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 21:24:52 -0000
"Flyig u 210 + on netbook" wrote:

[...]

If the W98 machine can see the router you just need to tell it to use
that as its gateway, and make sure it has some DNS servers.

Old February 1st 10, 03:25 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 210 + on netbook

"Flyig u 210 + on netbook" wrote:

[...]

I'll try that Rob. Been playing with it quite a bit this evening and early
morning. It seems that the Zone Alarm F/Ws I have installed on each m/c are
some how preventing it connecting with the Internet. I had changed the
TCP/IP properties so that it would see the desktop it was ethernet
connected to as the gateway, and gave it the IP address that had been
assigned by the router when it was connected to the router by ethernet
before re-siting the router. That way I was able to shift data between all
three computers. Instead, I tried allowing windows to obtain an IP
address automatically. That way I found that I could connect to the
Internet but then lost the ability to move data betweenall three computers .
Shall try your suggestion later and report back. Thanks for the advice.

Old February 1st 10, 07:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
James Egan

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 03:25:03 -0000, "Flyig u 210 + on netbook"
wrote:

I'll try that Rob. Been playing with it quite a bit this evening and early
morning. It seems that the Zone Alarm F/Ws I have installed on each m/c are
some how preventing it connecting with the Internet. I had changed the
TCP/IP properties so that it would see the desktop it was ethernet
connected to as the gateway, and gave it the IP address that had been
assigned by the router when it was connected to the router by ethernet
before re-siting the router. That way I was able to shift data between all
three computers. Instead, I tried allowing windows to obtain an IP
address automatically. That way I found that I could connect to the
Internet but then lost the ability to move data betweenall three computers .
Shall try your suggestion later and report back. Thanks for the advice.

If you're bridging the interfaces then simply set up both the pc's to
receive an ip address automatically. That should also deal with dns
and if you cannot connect to the Internet it's probably a firewall
issue as you said.

If you want to experiment with the routing option it's a bit harder to
configure. PC1_wired and PC2 needs to be on a separate subnet to
PC1_wireless and router.

Another alternative which you haven't considered yet is to get a
separate wireless bridging device to work with the win98 box. You
maybe don't have to buy something new. If you have an old wireless
router you can usually download some updated firmware which will
enable it to be configured as such a client bridging device.

Regarding the routing option, a typical routed setup would be:-

dsl gateway at 192.168.0.1

set a static route to send traffic for subnet 192.168.5.0 to go via
192.168.0.2

pc1_wireless

static ip address 192.168.0.2 mask 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.0.1
dns server 192.168.0.1 or your isp's nameserver address

pc1_wired

static ip address 192.168.5.1 mask 255.255.255.0
default gateway leave blank

pc2_wired

static ip address 192.168.5.2 mask 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.5.1
dns server 192.168.0.1 or your isp's nameserver address

You also need to edit the PC1 registry to enable routing between the
wired and wireless interfaces as follows

If PC1 is win9x this is

System Key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VxD\MSTCP]
Value Name: EnableRouting
Data Type: (string value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

For winxp/2k/NT/Vista

System Key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters]
Value Name: IPEnableRouter
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

Jim.

Old February 2nd 10, 12:00 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 210 +

wrote:

[...]

Yes I tried that, and have managed to get it to work with both computer f/ws
(ZA) disablebled. Strangely enough I can transfer data between both
computers with ZA on the W98 one, and with ZA on the host pooter. But with
Internet Zone Security (ZA) set to high on the host computer the W98
computer cannot connect to the net. Reducing that to Medium allows Internet
traffic but for some reason prevents data transfer between the two
computers. I'm sure what I want to acheive can be done by expertly setting
up the IP addresses etc in the firewall Zones page, but so far I've not had
much luck with it.

[...]

Thanks for that James, but unfortunately, most of that is way above my
head I'm afraid, but I'll copy it all and see what my much more
knowledgeable contact can make of it all. I have considered the option of
upgrading the W98 to W98SE, which is supported by current wifi dongles.

Old February 2nd 10, 12:25 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 00:00:57 -0000
"Flyig u 210 +" wrote:

Thanks for that James, but unfortunately, most of that is way above
my head I'm afraid, but I'll copy it all and see what my much more
knowledgeable contact can make of it all. I have considered the
option of upgrading the W98 to W98SE, which is supported by current
wifi dongles.

A wireless ethernet bridge (or a wireless router used in bridging mode)
attaches to a regular ethernet card and translates it into wifi - as
far as the PC is concerned it's just a regular wired connection, as far
as the rest of the network is concerned it's regular wifi.

Old February 2nd 10, 12:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 210 +

Rob Morley wrote:
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 00:00:57 -0000
"Flyig u 210 +" wrote:

Thanks for that James, but unfortunately, most of that is way above
my head I'm afraid, but I'll copy it all and see what my much more
knowledgeable contact can make of it all. I have considered the
option of upgrading the W98 to W98SE, which is supported by current
wifi dongles.

A wireless ethernet bridge (or a wireless router used in bridging
mode) attaches to a regular ethernet card and translates it into wifi
- as far as the PC is concerned it's just a regular wired connection,
as far as the rest of the network is concerned it's regular wifi.

Thanks Rob. I have a spare 2wire 2700HGV. Do you know if that can be
operated in bridging mode?

Old February 2nd 10, 05:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 00:42:52 -0000
"Flyig u 210 +" wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 00:00:57 -0000
"Flyig u 210 +" wrote:

Thanks for that James, but unfortunately, most of that is way
above my head I'm afraid, but I'll copy it all and see what my
much more knowledgeable contact can make of it all. I have
considered the option of upgrading the W98 to W98SE, which is
supported by current wifi dongles.

A wireless ethernet bridge (or a wireless router used in bridging
mode) attaches to a regular ethernet card and translates it into
wifi
- as far as the PC is concerned it's just a regular wired
connection, as far as the rest of the network is concerned it's
regular wifi.

Thanks Rob. I have a spare 2wire 2700HGV. Do you know if that can
be operated in bridging mode?

A quick Google suggests definitely maybe - this gives instructions
http://forums.vr-zone.com/networking...ys-wrt54g.html
but whether they'll work for your hardware/firmware version is anybody's
guess.

Old February 2nd 10, 10:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 210 +

Rob Morley wrote:
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 00:42:52 -0000
"Flyig u 210 +" wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 00:00:57 -0000
"Flyig u 210 +" wrote:

[...]

Ta. So far I've now got the W98 and other desktop (XP) both able to
download to each other and connect to the Internet. A simiple re-setting of
the Internet Zone Security in the ZA firewall to medium instead of High
achieved that step. My wifi'd netbook can now see the W98 m/c but isn't
allowed to transfer data, but the W98 m/c, as yet, can't even see the
netbook. So it seems like I'm getting there, albeit slowly. I've
certainly got to what I wanted to do, connecting to the netbook
successfully would be the cherry on the cake - so to speak. Thanks for all
the advice.

Old February 2nd 10, 08:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
alanp

Ta. So far I've now got the W98 and other desktop (XP) both able to download
to each other and connect to the Internet. A simiple re-setting of the
Internet Zone Security in the ZA firewall to medium instead of High achieved
that step. My wifi'd netbook can now see the W98 m/c but isn't allowed to
transfer data, but the W98 m/c, as yet, can't even see the netbook. So it
seems like I'm getting there, albeit slowly. I've certainly got to what I
wanted to do, connecting to the netbook successfully would be the cherry on
the cake - so to speak. Thanks for all the advice.

Does your netbook have Vista ? If so it will default to a different
workgroup name to the XP & W98 machines.

Good MS networking info here :-

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/.../troubleshoot/

AlanP