How to force laptop to right network

Old February 2nd 10, 04:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Barry

Default How to force laptop to right network

My wife has a laptop which four times out of five connects wirelessly to the
our router. Every now and then it fails to connect fully i.e. it detects a
network but does not connect. I have just realised what is happening; it is
finding someone elses network which, because it is secure, cannot connect.
How can I force it to pick up our router, I know I can search for networks,
select and connect but I would like it to default to the right one. Short of
breaking in next door and smashing his router what can I do?
TIA
Barry

Old February 2nd 10, 04:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"Barry" wrote in message
. uk...
My wife has a laptop which four times out of five connects wirelessly to
the our router. Every now and then it fails to connect fully i.e. it
detects a network but does not connect. I have just realised what is
happening; it is finding someone elses network which, because it is
secure, cannot connect.
How can I force it to pick up our router, I know I can search for
networks, select and connect but I would like it to default to the right
one. Short of breaking in next door and smashing his router what can I do?

What's the name of your network? Is it a default name (eg the name of the
router's manufacturer - Netgear, Belkin, DLINK etc)? If so, and if your
neightbour's is the same name, the PC cannot distinguish between the two and
will (try to) connect to whichever is the stronger signal.

If this is the case, change the name of your network to something unique and
delete the original name from the list of networks that the PC will try to
connect to: if a name is not in the list the PC will not attempt to connect
to it.

If your network name *is* unique, then it's back to the drawing board...

Old February 2nd 10, 07:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Barry
says...

My wife has a laptop which four times out of five connects wirelessly to the
our router. Every now and then it fails to connect fully i.e. it detects a
network but does not connect. I have just realised what is happening; it is
finding someone elses network which, because it is secure, cannot connect.
How can I force it to pick up our router, I know I can search for networks,
select and connect but I would like it to default to the right one. Short of
breaking in next door and smashing his router what can I do?
TIA
Barry

Change the channel yours is on and make sure it doesn't have the same
SSID as a nearby one.

--
Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everybody equally.
Old February 3rd 10, 02:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Barry

"Conor" wrote in message
In article , Barry
says...

[...]

Thanks for those helpful suggestions, I am working through them.
Barry