XP user accounts and file permissions?

Old February 4th 10, 02:01 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Mills

Default XP user accounts and file permissions?

Hi, I've been running my home LAN of 5 PCs for several years.
My wife and daughter have been the only regular users other than
myself, so we've all had 'computer administrator accounts'
and the 'Sharing and Security' settings on all the drives have been
set to 'Allow network users to change my files'.
All very easy and functional.

Now the grand-kids are reaching the age where they want their own user
accounts and access to their files.
I thought it was gong to be as simple as making each of them a
'limited' user account. Having done this I see that they can still
access all the server drives and potentially delete files. Also, they
have full access to the files on the c:\ System drive and the
D:\Programs drives on each local machine.

Can anyone please recommend a helpful source of info on configuring
the subtleties of user accounts and file sharing permissions?
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills