BT Router Security Setting

Old February 7th 10, 06:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default BT Router Security Setting

I have been helping a friend set up his 2wire BT router for his small
business LAN.

One computer has been set to allow incoming VNC connections but I would
like to restrict all other traffic in and out but I cannot see how to
restrict outgoing ports.

It seems to be able to restrict outgoing traffic to all computers but
not individual computers.

Anyone had any luck setting up anything similar.

Geoff Lane
Old February 7th 10, 07:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Geoff Lane says...

I have been helping a friend set up his 2wire BT router for his small
business LAN.

One computer has been set to allow incoming VNC connections but I would
like to restrict all other traffic in and out but I cannot see how to
restrict outgoing ports.

It seems to be able to restrict outgoing traffic to all computers but
not individual computers.

Anyone had any luck setting up anything similar.

Geoff Lane

Take router, throw in bin. Go to shop, buy decent one.

--
Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everybody equally.
Old February 9th 10, 03:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 18:09:09 +0000, Geoff Lane
wrote:

I have been helping a friend set up his 2wire BT router for his small
business LAN.

One computer has been set to allow incoming VNC connections but I would
like to restrict all other traffic in and out but I cannot see how to
restrict outgoing ports.

It seems to be able to restrict outgoing traffic to all computers but
not individual computers.

Anyone had any luck setting up anything similar.

Can you put the VNC computer into a DMZ and then "restrict all", which
restriction would actually only apply to all the other LAN hosts?

Tony
Old February 9th 10, 06:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adrian C

On 07/02/2010 18:09, Geoff Lane wrote:
I have been helping a friend set up his 2wire BT router for his small
business LAN.

One computer has been set to allow incoming VNC connections but I would
like to restrict all other traffic in and out but I cannot see how to
restrict outgoing ports.

It seems to be able to restrict outgoing traffic to all computers but
not individual computers.

Anyone had any luck setting up anything similar.

I'm used to a telnet interface on my Thomson modem for configuring rules
for internal and external ports. If this is a variant of the 2700 2-wire
modem, then the last paragraph on this page may help to make an already
suggested decision.

http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/001.htm

--
Adrian C
Old February 11th 10, 09:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Conor wrote:
In article , Geoff Lane says...
I have been helping a friend set up his 2wire BT router for his small
business LAN.

One computer has been set to allow incoming VNC connections but I would
like to restrict all other traffic in and out but I cannot see how to
restrict outgoing ports.

It seems to be able to restrict outgoing traffic to all computers but
not individual computers.

Anyone had any luck setting up anything similar.

Geoff Lane

Take router, throw in bin. Go to shop, buy decent one.

Not mine otherwise good suggestion..

Geoff Lane
Old February 11th 10, 09:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

wrote:

I have been helping a friend set up his 2wire BT router for his small
business LAN.

One computer has been set to allow incoming VNC connections but I would
like to restrict all other traffic in and out but I cannot see how to
restrict outgoing ports.

It seems to be able to restrict outgoing traffic to all computers but
not individual computers.

Anyone had any luck setting up anything similar.

Can you put the VNC computer into a DMZ and then "restrict all", which
restriction would actually only apply to all the other LAN hosts?

Thanks for input Tony but on reading my original post I didn't make it
clear but it is the specific machine that I wanted to restrict all but
the VNC port.

On my Draytek it is easy.

Geoff Lane

Old February 12th 10, 03:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

wrote:

One computer has been set to allow incoming VNC connections but I
would like to restrict all other traffic in and out but I cannot
see how to restrict outgoing ports.

Thanks for input Tony but on reading my original post I didn't make
it clear but it is the specific machine that I wanted to restrict all
but the VNC port.

Just run a software firewall on that machine. (Waits for howls of
derision from the "software firewalls are crap" people.)

Old February 14th 10, 09:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

wrote:

One computer has been set to allow incoming VNC connections but I
would like to restrict all other traffic in and out but I cannot
see how to restrict outgoing ports.

Thanks for input Tony but on reading my original post I didn't make
it clear but it is the specific machine that I wanted to restrict all
but the VNC port.

Just run a software firewall on that machine. (Waits for howls of
derision from the "software firewalls are crap" people.)

That is a good suggestion actually, I personally don't think software
firewalls are crap and they can
be quite complimentary.

Geoff Lane

Old February 14th 10, 10:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 21:39:10 +0000, Geoff Lane
wrote:

That is a good suggestion actually, I personally don't think software
firewalls are crap and they can
be quite complimentary.

Flattering Firewalls :-)

Tony