Skype to SIP Gateway

Old February 11th 10, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John

Default Skype to SIP Gateway

I've been following the excellent tutorial provided by Graham to set
up a Skype to SIP Gateway, for use with a Skypephone S2.

http://www.skypegateway.webs.com/

However, it seems that Orbtalk no longer provide free UK numbers to
individual users. Are there any alternatives, and if so, how do I
set them up?

John

Old February 11th 10, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mr Benn

"John" wrote in message

I've been following the excellent tutorial provided by Graham to set
up a Skype to SIP Gateway, for use with a Skypephone S2.

http://www.skypegateway.webs.com/

However, it seems that Orbtalk no longer provide free UK numbers to
individual users. Are there any alternatives, and if so, how do I
set them up?

Have you considered the SIP for Skype service?

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/busi...x-systems/sip/

Old February 11th 10, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Mr Benn wrote:
"John" wrote in message
.. .

I've been following the excellent tutorial provided by Graham to set
up a Skype to SIP Gateway, for use with a Skypephone S2.

http://www.skypegateway.webs.com/

However, it seems that Orbtalk no longer provide free UK numbers to
individual users. Are there any alternatives, and if so, how do I
set them up?

Have you considered the SIP for Skype service?

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/busi...x-systems/sip/

It never ceases to amaze me the effort people will make just to get a
free phone call or 2! The gatway mentioned above really does take some
effort to put together, not to mention requiring a PC running all the
time, and the management of 2 different VoIP accounts!

The SIP to Skype services are all commercial - It's highly unlikely
people looking for a free gateway will pay 5.11 per month (inv VAT)
for such a service.

Gordon
Old February 11th 10, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Mr Benn wrote:
"John" wrote in message
. ..

I've been following the excellent tutorial provided by Graham to set
up a Skype to SIP Gateway, for use with a Skypephone S2.

http://www.skypegateway.webs.com/

However, it seems that Orbtalk no longer provide free UK numbers to
individual users. Are there any alternatives, and if so, how do I
set them up?

Have you considered the SIP for Skype service?

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/busi...x-systems/sip/

It never ceases to amaze me the effort people will make just to get a
free phone call or 2! The gatway mentioned above really does take some
effort to put together, not to mention requiring a PC running all the
time, and the management of 2 different VoIP accounts!

It's true my father was a canny Scott, consequently I am predisposed to watch the pennies,
but it seems to me that the ability to make calls at Betamax rates from a PAYG mobile
with no credit is worth leaving your home PC on for, especially if it was going to
run 24/7 for other reasons.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old February 11th 10, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve Terry

Mr Benn wrote:
"John" wrote in message

[...]

Can't argue with that, but as John said, got an alternative to Orbtalk
for a cheap or free phone number?

Anyone?

Steve Terry
--
Get a free Three 3pay Sim with 2 bonus after 10 top up
http://freeagent.three.co.uk/stand/view/id/5276

Old February 11th 10, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paulg0

"Steve Terry" wrote in message

Can't argue with that, but as John said, got an alternative to Orbtalk
for a cheap or free phone number?

Anyone?

Steve Terry

http://www.coms.com/numbers.html

Paul

Old February 11th 10, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"John" wrote in message ...

I've been following the excellent tutorial provided by Graham to set
up a Skype to SIP Gateway, for use with a Skypephone S2.

http://www.skypegateway.webs.com/

However, it seems that Orbtalk no longer provide free UK numbers to
individual users. Are there any alternatives, and if so, how do I
set them up?

John

Mmm, ISWYM.
This is bad news I just tried calling a Sipgate and a Tesco account by SIP URI
and confirmed that it doesn't work.
__But_ just_a_ minute__
the solution has been here all along an I failed to see it
The Betamax trunk we are using for outgoing calls... no reason at all why
we shouldn't use it for the incoming leg as well, and I know you can call it
by URI.
In short, I have overcomplicated the project unnecessarily.
So, get rid of the Orbtalk trunk and its corresponding inbound route in pbxes,
and simply create a new inbound route with the same name as the Betamax trunk,
and send it to "callthrough PIN"

The entry in SkypeToSisAuth.props will now look something like this:
:5060

or replace the * with the Skype name if you want to limit it to known users, (which you will).
I will update http://skypegateway.webs.com when I get time.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old February 11th 10, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
andy

On 11 Feb, 20:58, "Graham." wrote:

Mmm, ISWYM.
This is bad news I just tried calling a Sipgate and a Tesco account by SIP URI
and confirmed that it doesn't work.
__But_ just_a_ minute__
the solution has been here all along an I failed to see it
The Betamax trunk we are using for outgoing calls... no reason at all why
we shouldn't use it for the incoming leg as well, and I know you can call it
by URI.
In short, I have overcomplicated the project unnecessarily.
So, get rid of the Orbtalk trunk and its corresponding inbound route in pbxes,
and simply create a new inbound route with the same name as the Betamax trunk,
and send it to "callthrough PIN"

Try it, but like Sipgate, Betamax brands do not accept incoming calls
to the SIP URI from all or even that many providers

It would be good to get this going without a PC running. I think it's
possible.
Old February 12th 10, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve Terry

"andy" wrote in message
On 11 Feb, 20:58, "Graham." wrote:

[...]

I suspected that might be the case

It would be good to get this going without a PC running. I think it's
possible.

An indirect provider could supply a call-back service to a Skype call,
like rebtel
http://blog.rebtel.com/2009/12/03/re...omputer-calls/

The problem is finding one that will do it cheaply

Steve Terry

Old February 12th 10, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"andy" wrote in message ...
On 11 Feb, 20:58, "Graham." wrote:

Mmm, ISWYM.
This is bad news I just tried calling a Sipgate and a Tesco account by SIP URI
and confirmed that it doesn't work.
__But_ just_a_ minute__
the solution has been here all along an I failed to see it
The Betamax trunk we are using for outgoing calls... no reason at all why
we shouldn't use it for the incoming leg as well, and I know you can call it
by URI.
In short, I have overcomplicated the project unnecessarily.
So, get rid of the Orbtalk trunk and its corresponding inbound route in pbxes,
and simply create a new inbound route with the same name as the Betamax trunk,
and send it to "callthrough PIN"

Try it, but like Sipgate, Betamax brands do not accept incoming calls
to the SIP URI from all or even that many providers

The call is not coming from a provider, its origanated in the SIP client running on the PC

It would be good to get this going without a PC running. I think it's
possible.

It's certainly possible, you've just got to ask what's in it for those hosting such
a system in a data-centre.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%