Vonage question - multiple sockets on vonage

Old February 11th 10, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephen Hammond

Default Vonage question - multiple sockets on vonage

Hi - currently I have two phones and broadband with Virgin Media.

Line 1 rental - 11, talk unlimited 25 - 5 sockets around the house - big
house, 3 wired phones, and 4 DECT phones

Line 2 rental - another 11 plus shares the talk unlimited of line 1 - only
1 socket in my office.

Then I pay 25 per month for Broadband, I have negotiated a small monthly
re-bate over those costs, but still it is a lot.

The cost of running line 2 I get back from my employer (I work from home and
only use it for work)

but line one which is for personal and family is costing 36 plus calls to
mobiles which are not included.

Virgin broadband (NTL as was) has been 100% reliable, it is fast, good
quality, has no download limits, and although not the cheapest I am
basically happy with it, but their phone line costs seem OTT. so been
thinking about VOIP.

idea is to keep one line (in fact - line 2), and broadband, but nothing else
from virgin.

I called Vonage, told them I am thinking of replacing line 1 with Vonage
5.99 per month package. Specifically asked the sales person if after
successfully testing it, I could install in such a way alll my sockets
around the house would go through vonage, was told yes no problem - I could
wire the vonage router to nearby socket in such a way this would work... we
even discussed if this needed to be the master socket and I was told no.

Got it, tried it , with just one phone plugged in to Vonage adaptor and then
to my router, and I like it. So I called them and said "now to go to next
step, connect to my socket so all the sockets work on vonage throughout the
house.

Was told this isn't possible, only works in North America

Wow, what a load of nonsense. I could of course purchase a DECT phone with 5
handsets, but my experience is (we are a large family) that people nevr put
them back on their chargers, however many you have, and you really need at
least one wired phone on each floor, otherwise phone rings, and you run
around trying to find a handset!

So, basically I was mis-sold it, I am in a free trial period so no problem I
can cancel.

but I like it, I like what it does, and like the potential for saving 30
per month over virgin, and it can be done in USA, can it be done with a bit
of know how here?

anyone any experience with that?

Thanks

Guy

Old February 11th 10, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 13:39:14 -0000, "Stephen Hammond"
wrote:

anyone any experience with that?

Thanks

Guy

You can wire it up to other sockets, you can just disconnect the
incoming VM wire to the master socket and then make a lead up to
connect from the VoIP adapter and connect to the master socket, though
really as you shouldn't touch the incoming wires I'd get hold of
another master socket and place it next to the one you were going to
use and connect to that and connect the extensions to that.

I don't use Vonage I use Vyke, Sipgate, VoIPStunt and others and have
my VoIP adapter connected up to extension sockets, but it is no
different.

--
http://www.birminghamckd.co.uk
Birmingham Choi Kwang Do
Old February 11th 10, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Stephen Hammond Stephen.fdfdfgmail.com wrote:

5.99 per month package. Specifically asked the sales person if after
successfully testing it, I could install in such a way alll my sockets
around the house would go through vonage, was told yes no problem - I could
wire the vonage router to nearby socket in such a way this would work... we
even discussed if this needed to be the master socket and I was told no.

Got it, tried it , with just one phone plugged in to Vonage adaptor and then
to my router, and I like it. So I called them and said "now to go to next
step, connect to my socket so all the sockets work on vonage throughout the
house.

Was told this isn't possible, only works in North America

One reason it might not work is the boxes ability to drive more than
one phones ringer... However with modern phones, I suspect it'll work
if the internal wiring is sound.

I'd get a new master socket, wire the vonage box into the back of it,
(You may need to canibalise a cable to do this) then move the house
extension wiring from the VM master socket to your new Master socket
and see what happens ...

And if VM are now using the same type of split sockets BT are using, and
your house wiring is correctly wired to the front (removable) faceplate,
then it might be as easy as simply lifting the faceplate from the VM
master and plugging into your new Master.

But to start with, you could just get a 2 or 3 way adapter and plug in
a few phones to the vonage box to see if it'll make them all ring before
drilling holes...

Wow, what a load of nonsense. I could of course purchase a DECT phone with 5
handsets, but my experience is (we are a large family) that people nevr put
them back on their chargers, however many you have, and you really need at
least one wired phone on each floor, otherwise phone rings, and you run
around trying to find a handset!

So, basically I was mis-sold it, I am in a free trial period so no problem I
can cancel.

I suspect they simply don't know or understand what you're getting at.

but I like it, I like what it does, and like the potential for saving 30
per month over virgin, and it can be done in USA, can it be done with a bit
of know how here?

anyone any experience with that?

I've hard-wired ATAs into a wall socket in the past - the wiring side of
it is really a uk.telecom question ;-) It's just a matter of whether the
Vonage ATA can drive more than one phone. Google the make/model and see
what the maker say - see what REN it can drive (if they state it) BT/VM
usually can drive a total REN of 4...

DO make sure you never plug the ATA into the VM wall socket though -
yo might get away with it, but they're both supplying 50 volts or so ...

Can Vonage port numbers in? If you're still happy with them and they can,
you could probably save some line rental too... But I don't know what
the options then are for migrating out if you want/need to...

Gordon
Old February 11th 10, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

"Stephen Hammond" wrote in message ...

[...]

Just curious.
Are you the same person that normally posts here under "Stephen Hammond" ?

Vonage is an over priced service IMHO and I am sure "Steve" has mentioned he uses smartvoip.com
like many of us here.

Running several phones from an ATA phone port is possible but the ringers might struggle with
more than two. if they are entirely line powered. Phones that are also TAMs and FAXs that plug into
the mains, tend to work better. And DECTs (obviously)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old February 11th 10, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paulg0

"Graham." wrote in message
Running several phones from an ATA phone port is possible but the ringers
might struggle with
more than two. if they are entirely line powered. Phones that are also
TAMs and FAXs that plug into
the mains, tend to work better. And DECTs (obviously)

If there is a problem you can always use a REN booster such as the one he

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Telephone-REN-...e68f16fc7fc883

Paul

Old February 12th 10, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 18:51:55 -0000, "Graham." wrote:

Running several phones from an ATA phone port is possible but the ringers might struggle with
more than two. if they are entirely line powered. Phones that are also TAMs and FAXs that plug into
the mains, tend to work better. And DECTs (obviously)

My old PAP2 can drive several phones has a REN of around 4 I think.