Allowing Skype Install Corporate Network

Old February 15th 10, 08:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TheScullster

Default Allowing Skype Install Corporate Network

Hi all

What are the dangers associated with installing Skype software on a PC
connected to a corporate domain?
Previously I have heard scare stories about servers being hijacked and used
as supernodes.
Does opening up the company firewall to allow this communication pose a
threat to the general corporate security?

Any other gotchas?

TIA

Phil

Old February 15th 10, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

TheScullster brought next idea :
Hi all

What are the dangers associated with installing Skype software on a PC
connected to a corporate domain?

Other than eating bandwidth during a call, very little impact, I'd say.

Check your IT policy beforehand.

Previously I have heard scare stories about servers being hijacked and used
as supernodes.

This would only happen if the PC it's installed on has a public IP
address.

Does opening up the company firewall to allow this communication pose a
threat to the general corporate security?

No need to open any ports for Skype.

Any other gotchas?

TIA

Phil

I don't use Skype......

Old February 15th 10, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Christof Meerwald

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:54:26 -0000, TheScullster wrote:
What are the dangers associated with installing Skype software on a PC
connected to a corporate domain?

see 3.3 in the EULA:

"3.3 Utilization of Your Computer: Skype Software may utilize the
processor and bandwidth of the computer (or other applicable device) You
are utilizing, for the limited purpose of facilitating the communication
between Skype Software users. Skype will use its commercially reasonable
efforts to protect the privacy and integrity of the computer resources (or
other applicable device) You are utilizing and of Your communication,
however Skype cannot give any warranties in this respect."

Not everyone is comfortable with that.

Christof

http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
Old February 16th 10, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:06:36 +0000, Christof Meerwald wrote:

see 3.3 in the EULA:

Not everyone is comfortable with that.

I suspect if anyone ever read an EULA, they would be uncomfortable with
it.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:56:55 up 1 day, 1:47, 6 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Old February 16th 10, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Christof Meerwald

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:57:49 +0000 (UTC), alexd wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:06:36 +0000, Christof Meerwald wrote:
see 3.3 in the EULA:
Not everyone is comfortable with that.

I suspect if anyone ever read an EULA, they would be uncomfortable with
it.

That's why I prefer using Open Source software - these are much more
friendly to the end user than commercial EULAs.

Christof

http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
Old February 17th 10, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adrian C

On 16/02/2010 22:02, Christof Meerwald wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:57:49 +0000 (UTC), alexd wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:06:36 +0000, Christof Meerwald wrote:
see 3.3 in the EULA:
Not everyone is comfortable with that.

I suspect if anyone ever read an EULA, they would be uncomfortable with
it.

That's why I prefer using Open Source software - these are much more
friendly to the end user than commercial EULAs.

Depends how much peer review has been done on the Open Source software.
In either case, I could still write a really nice looking presentation
application and run away with your business data, no matter what's been
impressively written on the install screen of the application (and
ignored with a single click, as the user WANTS to run the software and
wouldn't be here otherwise).

Though, if we want to take that the legal text has some actual relevence
to the software, then what would be great idea would be for a user
application to monitor installs and scan the EULA for dodgy text.

--
Adrian C