Netgear DG834G V2 firmware upgrade?

Old February 16th 10, 02:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alan Jenkins

Default Netgear DG834G V2 firmware upgrade?

I want to upgrade my DG834G v2 from 3.01.25 to 3.01.38, but will I lose
all my settings?
Hours of work needed to set up all the firwall rules etc if I do lose
them...

Any Thoughts?

Thank a lot

Old February 16th 10, 04:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 02:34:59 -0000, "Alan Jenkins" wrote:

I want to upgrade my DG834G v2 from 3.01.25 to 3.01.38, but will I lose
all my settings?
Hours of work needed to set up all the firwall rules etc if I do lose
them...

Any Thoughts?

Upgrading the firmware has never lost me the configured setup settings on
my DG834Gv2's (but pressing and holding the reset button will do that).

Anyway you can back up your settings, just in case you lose them now or in
the future or in the event your router were to die and you needed to
program the settings into a new one. See Maintenance/Backup Settings.

Tony
Old February 16th 10, 11:25 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alan Jenkins

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 02:34:59 -0000, "Alan Jenkins" wrote:

I want to upgrade my DG834G v2 from 3.01.25 to 3.01.38, but will I

lose
all my settings?
Hours of work needed to set up all the firwall rules etc if I do lose
them...

Any Thoughts?

Upgrading the firmware has never lost me the configured setup settings on
my DG834Gv2's (but pressing and holding the reset button will do that).

Anyway you can back up your settings, just in case you lose them now or in
the future or in the event your router were to die and you needed to
program the settings into a new one. See Maintenance/Backup Settings.

Tony

Will the saved settings re-load into the upgraded firmware without issue?

Thanks

Old February 16th 10, 12:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:25:15 -0000, "Alan Jenkins" wrote:

Will the saved settings re-load into the upgraded firmware without issue?

I guess they could make changes that would make that not work, but so far
no versions I have upgraded to have been incompatible with the settings of
previous versions and that is true for the two versions you plan to move
between.

Tony
Old February 16th 10, 01:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:25:15 -0000, "Alan Jenkins" wrote:

Will the saved settings re-load into the upgraded firmware without issue?

I guess they could make changes that would make that not work, but so far
no versions I have upgraded to have been incompatible with the settings of
previous versions and that is true for the two versions you plan to move
between.

Also, my experience with Netgear firmware upgrades is that the settings do
not need to be reloaded from the saved config file (though it's a very good
idea to save them just in case!) - the firmware upgrade preserves the
existing settings and does not revert to factory settings.

But that's only my own experience...

Old February 16th 10, 05:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Harry Bloomfield

Alan Jenkins brought next idea :
I want to upgrade my DG834G v2 from 3.01.25 to 3.01.38, but will I lose
all my settings?
Hours of work needed to set up all the firwall rules etc if I do lose
them...

I have never lost any settings doing the firmware updates. However just
to make sure - You can save the settings to your PC and then restore
them after the firmware upgrade.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old February 16th 10, 05:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alan Jenkins

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:25:15 -0000, "Alan Jenkins" wrote:

Will the saved settings re-load into the upgraded firmware without

issue?

I guess they could make changes that would make that not work, but so far
no versions I have upgraded to have been incompatible with the settings of
previous versions and that is true for the two versions you plan to move
between.

Tony

Thanks for the help and advice with this job. I did do it once before but
it seems a long time ago. I have now done the job and 3.01.38 is now
running.

Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know where I might find a
changelog of updates from 3.01.25 to 3.01.38? Was there much done in
between the two firmwares?
I can only find the changes in the most recent version documented on
netgear's site.

Thanks again for all the support.
Alan

Old February 16th 10, 10:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Harry Bloomfield

Alan Jenkins formulated the question :
"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 02:34:59 -0000, "Alan Jenkins" wrote:

I want to upgrade my DG834G v2 from 3.01.25 to 3.01.38, but will I lose
all my settings?
Hours of work needed to set up all the firwall rules etc if I do lose
them...

Any Thoughts?

Upgrading the firmware has never lost me the configured setup settings on
my DG834Gv2's (but pressing and holding the reset button will do that).

Anyway you can back up your settings, just in case you lose them now or in
the future or in the event your router were to die and you needed to
program the settings into a new one. See Maintenance/Backup Settings.

Tony

Will the saved settings re-load into the upgraded firmware without issue?

Certainly with the two versions you are discussing, but even the
setting from my V2 uploaded perfectly (and to my surprise) from a V2
into a V3. I guess the settings are saved with a reference to what the
setting is for, rather than just a simple memory dump save.

Old February 16th 10, 11:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:49:55 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Certainly with the two versions you are discussing, but even the
setting from my V2 uploaded perfectly (and to my surprise) from a V2
into a V3. I guess the settings are saved with a reference to what the
setting is for, rather than just a simple memory dump save.

Don't guess, the backup is in plain text so just read it (and BTW I often
find it simplest to edit it to clone services and firewall rules!).

Tony
Old February 17th 10, 12:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:27:16 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold"
wrote:

Don't guess, the backup is in plain text so just read it

Which reminds me to warn that the backup should be kept secure and perhaps
encrypted because it's ALL there in plain text, including confidential data
such as admin password and wireless encryption keys.

Tony