File sharing?

Old February 23rd 10, 04:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Mills

Default File sharing?

When using advanced file sharing on an XP (pro) network, does a remote
user need to also have a user account on the computer they want to
access?
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills

Old February 23rd 10, 07:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:23:46 +0000
Geoff Mills wrote:

When using advanced file sharing on an XP (pro) network, does a remote
user need to also have a user account on the computer they want to
access?

Not if you enable the guest account on the host PC, I believe, but it's
been ages since I played with that stuff and it always seemed a bit
hit & miss.

Old February 23rd 10, 07:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article [email protected], Rob Morley says...

Geoff Mills wrote:

When using advanced file sharing on an XP (pro) network, does a remote
user need to also have a user account on the computer they want to
access?

Not if you enable the guest account on the host PC, I believe, but it's
been ages since I played with that stuff and it always seemed a bit
hit & miss.

XP networking is broken quite badly. It stands a higher chance of
working if there is an account on the host PC.

--
Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everybody equally.
Old February 23rd 10, 08:02 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adrian C

On 23/02/2010 16:23, Geoff Mills wrote:
When using advanced file sharing on an XP (pro) network, does a remote
user need to also have a user account on the computer they want to
access?

Yes, unless the computer is configured with guest access to shares.

Have a look online (google, youtube, ebooks, eBay) for any study
materials covering the Microsoft MCDST exam 70-271 (Supporting users and
troubleshooting a Microsoft Windows XP Operating System).

The subject of XP user network permissions and folder permissions is
covered quite throughly (has to be!), and although you are probably not
putting yourself in for the exam (something which I should be doing
instead of wibbling about here) I think you'll the material useful.

Hmmm, Anyone reading this got a hot link to an online study guide?

In theory MS should have this on their website somewhere, or in the
'Help and Support' resource on the computer. Not everyone who is a
'computer user' should be looking at course books to find out how to use
a machine!!

--
Adrian C
Old February 24th 10, 08:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Mills

Geoff Mills wrote:

When using advanced file sharing on an XP (pro) network, does a remote
user need to also have a user account on the computer they want to
access?

Not if you enable the guest account on the host PC, I believe, but it's
been ages since I played with that stuff and it always seemed a bit
hit & miss.

Hit and miss is certainly what I'm experiencing most of the time.
Apparently, there are several possible layers of configuration which
can be involved. There's also heaps of info on the Net, some of it
contradictory. So I haven't yet ruled out misunderstanding on my part
as being the main cause of the local flakiness.
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills

Old February 24th 10, 09:05 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Mills

Geoff Mills wrote:

When using advanced file sharing on an XP (pro) network, does a remote
user need to also have a user account on the computer they want to
access?

Not if you enable the guest account on the host PC, I believe, but it's
been ages since I played with that stuff and it always seemed a bit
hit & miss.

XP networking is broken quite badly. It stands a higher chance of
working if there is an account on the host PC.

So that's what I've done.
I did have some hope of replacing Full Control for "Everyone" under
the share tab with Full Control for the more selective "Authenticated
Users". This followed by various permissions for individual Users and
Groups under the Security tab.

I've more recently ended up reverting to Full Control sharing for
"Everyone" just to get some consistent access.
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills

Old February 24th 10, 09:23 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Mills

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 20:02:33 +0000, Adrian C
wrote:

On 23/02/2010 16:23, Geoff Mills wrote:
When using advanced file sharing on an XP (pro) network, does a remote
user need to also have a user account on the computer they want to
access?

Yes, unless the computer is configured with guest access to shares.

Of the variations I've been trying the most frequently used is:
"Everyone" (which I understand includes Guest) Full Control as a
share. Then "Everyone" with just read and write access in the NTFS
permissions. This along with fuller access to some individual users
and groups in the same NTFS permissions.

Have a look online (google, youtube, ebooks, eBay) for any study
materials covering the Microsoft MCDST exam 70-271 (Supporting users and
troubleshooting a Microsoft Windows XP Operating System).

Thanks, I'll go in search of that one.

The subject of XP user network permissions and folder permissions is
covered quite throughly (has to be!), and although you are probably not
putting yourself in for the exam (something which I should be doing
instead of wibbling about here) I think you'll the material useful.

As some of the more general sources of info often seem contradictory,
I'm relying more than usual on MS for this purpose.

Hmmm, Anyone reading this got a hot link to an online study guide?

In theory MS should have this on their website somewhere, or in the
'Help and Support' resource on the computer. Not everyone who is a
'computer user' should be looking at course books to find out how to use
a machine!!

In this household, that great liberator, the PC, has always demanded
massively more attention for itself than has been allocated to all
other subjects put together, so far.
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills

Old February 24th 10, 10:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Geoff Mills
says...

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:53:53 -0000, Conor wrote:
XP networking is broken quite badly. It stands a higher chance of
working if there is an account on the host PC.

So that's what I've done.
I did have some hope of replacing Full Control for "Everyone" under
the share tab with Full Control for the more selective "Authenticated
Users". This followed by various permissions for individual Users and
Groups under the Security tab.

I've more recently ended up reverting to Full Control sharing for
"Everyone" just to get some consistent access.

Heh-heh..it is ****e isn't it? At least Vista and Win7 finally fix it
all.

Old February 25th 10, 09:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
robert

wrote:

[...]

Hit and Miss with XP Pro is my experience, I have 4 PCs with identical
setups , account names and passwords.
However to share a folder and/or a printer the admin password is
required ( I have ended up using a .bat file with Net use commands in
Startup).
However none of the PCs have any problems accessing a share on another
PC with no matching accounts.
Old February 26th 10, 02:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Mills

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 09:09:38 +0000, robert
wrote:

Hit and Miss with XP Pro is my experience, I have 4 PCs with identical
setups , account names and passwords.
However to share a folder and/or a printer the admin password is
required ( I have ended up using a .bat file with Net use commands in
Startup).
However none of the PCs have any problems accessing a share on another
PC with no matching accounts.

At least you seem to have some sort of working relationship with AFS.
I've had to revert to SFS just so I can get some work done.
Still, frequently running into folder access problems as a result,
which usually require me to keep going back to AFS, take ownership,
redo permissions and back out again.
I've learnt a lot from the experience. Pity that so far, it hasn't
been enough to benefit from Advanced File Sharing.
--
Kind regards,
Geoff Mills