Join 2 networks wirelessly

Old February 24th 10, 12:35 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
swarfmaker

Default Join 2 networks wirelessly

I have 2 wireless routers, a Netgear DG834PN modem/router on a BT line and a
Netgear WGR614 router on a VirginMedia cable service.
The DG834PN uses address 192.168.0.1 and all connected devices have fixed
IP's The WGR614 uses address 192.168.1.1 and the only device connected at
the moment, a laptop, is given a dynamic IP. The laptop needs to be able to
see the other network via the WGR614 wirelessly.

TIA

Iain

Old February 24th 10, 06:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alex Fraser

On 24/02/2010 12:35, Swarfmaker wrote:
I have 2 wireless routers, a Netgear DG834PN modem/router on a BT line and a
Netgear WGR614 router on a VirginMedia cable service.
The DG834PN uses address 192.168.0.1 and all connected devices have fixed
IP's The WGR614 uses address 192.168.1.1 and the only device connected at
the moment, a laptop, is given a dynamic IP. The laptop needs to be able to
see the other network via the WGR614 wirelessly.

More information needed. As it stands, the simple answer is to connect
the laptop to the other router. Optionally, bin the WGR614 and stop
paying money to Virgin. But I have a feeling this isn't the answer you
wanted...

If the two routers can be connected by an Ethernet cable, you can
probably set things up how you want. It's impossible to say more without
making assumptions.

Alex
Old February 24th 10, 07:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

On 24/02/10 12:35, Swarfmaker wrote:
I have 2 wireless routers, a Netgear DG834PN modem/router on a BT line and a
Netgear WGR614 router on a VirginMedia cable service.
The DG834PN uses address 192.168.0.1 and all connected devices have fixed
IP's The WGR614 uses address 192.168.1.1 and the only device connected at
the moment, a laptop, is given a dynamic IP. The laptop needs to be able to
see the other network via the WGR614 wirelessly.

If you link the two switches together (possibly requiring a crossover
cable) anything connected to either of them can see the whole network.
Disable one of the DHCP servers or use static addresses. Alter the IP
address of one of the routers to put them both on the same subnet.

I'm not certain what you intend to achieve by doing this.

--
Bernard Peek

Old February 24th 10, 08:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
swarfmaker

Alex Fraser wrote:
[...]

Just got the Virgin, primarily for the TV as we've ditched Sky, so the
Virgin Broadband is a bonus.
Due to layout of the building I can't lay a cable between the routers. the
laptop & Virgin router are in the lounge and the other kit is elsewhere in
the building. The printer is on the DG834PN network, at the moment accessed
via my desktop machine, but shortly to be replaced by an ethernet printer.
The laptop needs to access the printer.

Iain

Old February 24th 10, 10:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Finnigan

"Swarfmaker" wrote in message
Alex Fraser wrote:
[...]

The easiest option is to put them all on the same network, unless you have a
particular reason for wanting the laptop to access the internet via Virgin?

Old February 24th 10, 11:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 19:20:46 +0000, Bernard Peek wrote:

On 24/02/10 12:35, Swarfmaker wrote:
I have 2 wireless routers, a Netgear DG834PN modem/router on a BT line and a
Netgear WGR614 router on a VirginMedia cable service.
The DG834PN uses address 192.168.0.1 and all connected devices have fixed
IP's The WGR614 uses address 192.168.1.1 and the only device connected at
the moment, a laptop, is given a dynamic IP. The laptop needs to be able to
see the other network via the WGR614 wirelessly.

If you link the two switches together (possibly requiring a crossover
cable) anything connected to either of them can see the whole network.
Disable one of the DHCP servers or use static addresses. Alter the IP
address of one of the routers to put them both on the same subnet.

You can also do all of that except leave the IP addresses alone and just
change the netmasks everywhere to 255.255.0.0.

I'm not certain what you intend to achieve by doing this.

He want to connect to a printer on the LAN with the other gateway.

Tony
Old March 3rd 10, 01:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
WinTFTP

Hello,

Please setup a SSID wireless network in the laptop
for the same with WGR614.

Brgs