RJ54 to DB9 RS232

Old March 10th 10, 07:56 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

Default RJ54 to DB9 RS232

I bought one of these

eBay item #390167366953

Maybe I was naive but I expected this to contain a chip that did the
conversion. I plugged it in to a network and/or a Serial port but neither
was recognised. No driver disk was supplied, and I note that the DB9 has the
Cisco Systems Logo on it. The DB9 is moulded on so access without destroying
it is not possible.Any constructive suggestions as to getting it working
would be welcome.

Peter Crosland

Old March 10th 10, 08:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 18:56:02 -0000
"Peter Crosland" wrote:

I bought one of these

eBay item #390167366953

Maybe I was naive but I expected this to contain a chip that did the
conversion. I plugged it in to a network and/or a Serial port but
neither was recognised. No driver disk was supplied, and I note that
the DB9 has the Cisco Systems Logo on it. The DB9 is moulded on so
access without destroying it is not possible.Any constructive
suggestions as to getting it working would be welcome.

Were you expecting to use this as a serial-to-Ethernet bridge? Because
that's not what it's used for. Some Cisco kit (and probably others as
well) uses an RJ45 socket to provide a local terminal connection.

Old March 10th 10, 09:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sam

Peter Crosland writes:
I bought one of these

eBay item #390167366953

Maybe I was naive but I expected this to contain a chip that did the
conversion. I plugged it in to a network and/or a Serial port but neither
was recognised. No driver disk was supplied, and I note that the DB9 has the
Cisco Systems Logo on it. The DB9 is moulded on so access without destroying
it is not possible.Any constructive suggestions as to getting it working
would be welcome.

It's a serial console cable for some (not all) Cisco kit. The seller was
misinformed in thinking that just because it has an RJ45 connector on
one end that it's anything to do with Cat5 or ethernet. It's (probably)
purely an electrical connection from the serial port pins on a PC to the
RJ45 pins on the Cisco switch or router.