XP networking problems

Old March 11th 10, 11:29 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike the Brewer

Default XP networking problems

Being well experienced in building/upgrading/repairing my own PCs I thought
home networking would be easy.......how wrong I was !
I have 3 machines in different rooms, all running XP sp3 and an HP laser
printer, all wired to a 4 port router.
I had no trouble networking the printer using the HP network install
software, it works fine from any of the 3 computers.
The problem is that after enabling all sharing permissions on all PCs, and
running the networking wizard on all, I still cannot get into any system
from another. All I get is a message denying access and stating "You may not
have the permissions ...etc " although each PC can "see" the others in My
Network Places, no matter what I try, it always comes up with the same
result.
Is there a simple way to network them manually without using the wizard ?
( Maybe I should get rid of some of the Microsoft installed things such as
"QOS Packet Scheduler" etc ? )
I tried enabling Remote Desktop......two machines came up with " The license
for remote desktop has expired "
I'm at the stage where I have run out of ideas............anybody have any
advice ?
Mike, Lincoln, UK.

P.S. I never had these problems with Win98 on dial-up some years ago, one pc
connected to the web and serving the others, I could bring up the desktop of
each one and control it fully from any of the others, this is what I want
with the present set up.

Old March 11th 10, 11:42 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 11/03/2010 in message Mike the
Brewer wrote:

I'm at the stage where I have run out of ideas............anybody have any
advice ?

I put some notes together at:
http://www.jgaines.me.uk/html/networ...computers.html

Which may help. I'm not sure the networking wizard is up to much, I tend
to do it manually.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Indecision is the key to flexibility
Old March 11th 10, 11:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike the Brewer

Brewer wrote:

I'm at the stage where I have run out of ideas............anybody have any
advice ?

I put some notes together at:
http://www.jgaines.me.uk/html/networ...computers.html

Which may help. I'm not sure the networking wizard is up to much, I tend
to do it manually.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Indecision is the key to flexibility

Thanks very much for that, Jeff, I have bookmarked it and will study it in
detail.
Thanks also for the quick response.
Mike.

Old March 11th 10, 01:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 210 + on netbook

Brewer wrote:

I'm at the stage where I have run out of ideas............anybody have
any advice ?

I put some notes together at:
http://www.jgaines.me.uk/html/networ...computers.html

Which may help. I'm not sure the networking wizard is up to much, I tend
to do it manually.

Thanks Jeff, I've bookmarked that. I'm sure it'll come in very helpful
with the networking problems I sometimes get. i'm hoping that now I've
saved it I won't ever need it now.
--
Heard melodies are sweet, but those Unheard are sweeter
FN 29 +, Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Old March 11th 10, 05:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

On 11/03/2010 11:29, Mike the Brewer wrote:

I'm at the stage where I have run out of ideas............anybody have any
advice ?
Mike, Lincoln, UK.

Make sure File and Printer Sharing is allowed in the firewalls on the
PC, including adding it as an exception in Windows Firewall.

Duplicate the accounts on all the computers. So if you have an account
called Jeff with the password 123abc, create one on them all.

Also there's a IRPstacksize issue with WinXP if there's over a certain
number of files shared. It requires a registry entry altering. Google
will be your friend.

--
Conor
I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.
Old March 14th 10, 11:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Alzaman

If you open a command line / DOS prompt, if you know the IP of each then a
successful ping should provide connectivity proof. Start button CMD OK
Type Ipconfig to find your IP, then Ping 192.168.x.x

If you get a successful ping, try the netbios command: nbtstat - A
192.168.x.x - This shows the shaded folders on the PC.

I presume all the PC's are on the same workgroup, and that the folders that
are shared can be viewed on the host PC, and all sharing permissions are
shown?

To enable a sharing tab, to give you more options, follow this:

My Computer Tools Folder Options View Tab .. scroll down to the
bottom, untick "Simple File Sharing"

Now when you right click a folder / file, and select sharing, you'll have a
sharing tab.

It may be something as simple as Windows firewall, so try disabling that, or
adding an exception to it .. or if you have an combined Anti-Virus /
Firewall then turn the Windows firewall off.