Netgear DG934G Wireless Woes

Old March 11th 10, 05:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

Default Netgear DG934G Wireless Woes

The other half's parents moved to Sky broadband a couple of months back,
which comes with a router - the Sky modified Netgear DG934G - connecting
to a Netgear WG311 v3 in the PC.

It was OK for the first few weeks, but since then the PC is continually
losing connection in such a way that only repairing the wireless
connection gets things going again, or rebooting the router if that
fails. I've tried changing the wireless channel, same problem. Is
there anything else to look at? The connection strength is always rated
good/excellent when it is connected, doesn't seem to be any other
wireless networks available to conflict or anything either.

The whole thing worked perfectly for months with a Netgear DG834G I lent
them to use wireless on their previous 'net connection, so failing that
I'd go back to that but I'm not sure it's possible (as in, not something
Sky endorse).

--
[ste]
Old March 11th 10, 05:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

On 11/03/2010 17:00, [ste parker] wrote:
[...]

Download and run InSSIDer. It'll tell you exactly what is on what
channel. You may find that even if you've moved it, it may be to a
channel half a dozen other people are already using.

Also try dropping the security to WPA and check the WG311 drivers are
the latest.

--
Conor
I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.
Old March 11th 10, 07:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

"[ste parker]" wrote in message
[...]

This can be caused by the wireless network card being set to save power. It
took me ages to find the solution the first time! Note that there might be
some other reason but try this first. Try opening Network connections within
the control panel. Then Right Click on the appropriate network connection
then on Properties. Then click the Configure button and finally Power
management. The box marked Allow the computer to turn off should not be
ticked. If it is untick it and then on OK. Reboot the machine and double
check to see that the box is still unticked.

Peter Crosland

Old March 12th 10, 06:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

On 11/03/2010 17:12, Conor wrote:

Download and run InSSIDer. It'll tell you exactly what is on what
channel. You may find that even if you've moved it, it may be to a
channel half a dozen other people are already using.

Also try dropping the security to WPA and check the WG311 drivers are
the latest.

Nice tool! There's nothing else at all interfering, though (that that
sees, anyway). It's already using basic WPA and the WG311 drivers are
up to date, nothing helped. So I used https://www.cm9.net/skypass/ to
get the login details so I can use the spare DG834G and it all works
just fine, so I doubt it's a problem at the PC end in any way but
convincing Sky of that has so far proven impossible.

--
[ste]
Old March 12th 10, 06:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
[ste parker]

On 11/03/2010 19:17, Peter Crosland wrote:

This can be caused by the wireless network card being set to save power. It
took me ages to find the solution the first time! Note that there might be
some other reason but try this first. Try opening Network connections within
the control panel. Then Right Click on the appropriate network connection
then on Properties. Then click the Configure button and finally Power
management. The box marked Allow the computer to turn off should not be
ticked. If it is untick it and then on OK. Reboot the machine and double
check to see that the box is still unticked.

The wireless card doesn't seem to have a Power Management tab under
Properties as descibed, so I couldn't try that one way or another.

--
[ste]