Mobile Broadband Security

Old April 5th 10, 05:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Default Mobile Broadband Security

Any any views as to security issues using mobile broadband dongles.

To the best of my knowledge it is encrypted so is there any major
advantage in using VPN or similar.

Geoff Lane
Old April 5th 10, 05:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dominic Hargreaves

Geoff Lane wrote:
Any any views as to security issues using mobile broadband dongles.

To the best of my knowledge it is encrypted so is there any major
advantage in using VPN or similar.

I don't have any specific information on current 3G technology
but always assumed that it was not encrypted. Even if the 3G
link is, any bluetooth hop will be trivially sniffable (AIUI).
And the traffic will inevitably unencrypted in your provider's
core network as well as in transit to the endpoint, giving
many opportunities for your traffic to be tapped.

I treat them like any other network extended outside my
control, including a public internet cafe or anything using
the PSTN.

Assume that anything you send or receive via the internet
will be intercepted and encrypt everything you can, whether
via VPNs or use of encrypted end protocols (SSL, usually).

Old April 5th 10, 08:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

On 05/04/2010 17:08, Geoff Lane wrote:
Any any views as to security issues using mobile broadband dongles.

To the best of my knowledge it is encrypted so is there any major
advantage in using VPN or similar.

Geoff Lane

Its only encrypted between you and the network carrier. Other than that,
the security you implement should be the same as for dialup.

--
Conor I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.
Old April 7th 10, 10:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Geoff Lane

Dominic Hargreaves wrote:

Assume that anything you send or receive via the internet
will be intercepted and encrypt everything you can, whether
via VPNs or use of encrypted end protocols (SSL, usually).

Other than for normal surfing and emails I would generally use VPN.

Geoff Lane