a wifi connection in Greece ?

Old May 15th 10, 07:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Eddy

Default a wifi connection in Greece ?

I wonder if anyone can help me figure this out.

I'm off to Athens for three weeks shortly and while there I want to work
on my wifi laptop. There's lots of hotels offering free wifi, but
there's a woman in Athens who is offering me a very nice studio flat at
a very good rate but it doesn't have wifi. It doesn't even have a
phoneline. So I explained to her that it wouldn't be suitable and she's
come back to me saying that in Athens she can have a phoneline installed
with broadband on it for 104 euros provided I give her 8 days' notice.
She seems to think that will solve the problem.

I've replied and said that unless they have some technology in Athens
that I am unaware of just a phoneline with broadband on it won't solve
the problem. I've told her there's got to be a modem dangling on the
end of that phoneline, and that it has to be one that broadcasts wifi.
And I've indicated that setting up such a modem/hub is a bit tricky and
I just want to arrive, switch on my laptop, type in a password and go
online!

She writes back and just says it won't be a problem!

But I reckon she just doesn't understand.

Or am I imagining it?

Thanks,
Eddy.

Old May 15th 10, 09:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Sat, 15 May 2010 18:55:01 +0100
Eddy wrote:

[...]

Why would it be a problem? Most broadband deals come with a wireless
modem, and it's easy to set up.

Old May 15th 10, 09:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Eddy

Rob Morley wrote:
Why would it be a problem? Most broadband deals come with a wireless
modem, and it's easy to set up.

Thanks, Rob. Can you tell me a bit more, please?

If she gets a broadband deal and I turn up with my wifi laptop and find
the modem there HOW easy will it be to connect? What would I have to
do?

Would I have to take along an ADSL cable? Or could I set up wirelessly?

I seem to remember when I got the hub that I use here that I had muck
around for ages on my desktop before I could connect my laptop via wifi.

Have I got it wrong?

Thanks.

Eddy.

Old May 18th 10, 04:25 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Sat, 15 May 2010 20:48:30 +0100
Eddy wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:
Why would it be a problem? Most broadband deals come with a
wireless modem, and it's easy to set up.

Thanks, Rob. Can you tell me a bit more, please?

If she gets a broadband deal and I turn up with my wifi laptop and
find the modem there HOW easy will it be to connect? What would I
have to do?

Would I have to take along an ADSL cable? Or could I set up
wirelessly?

I seem to remember when I got the hub that I use here that I had muck
around for ages on my desktop before I could connect my laptop via
wifi.

Have I got it wrong?

In order to get your laptop to connect to the router you should only
need to know the network SSID and encryption key - the original values
are often on a label on the router, or the installer will leave a
note. In most cases just enter them in the settings on your laptop and
you're done, assuming DHCP is enabled. If you wanted to change the
default settings it would be a good idea to take a Cat5 cable with you,
so that if you locked yourself out of the WiFi you could still get in.