Powerline ethernet speed problems

Old May 17th 10, 09:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Woody

Default Powerline ethernet speed problems

I got fed up with my wi-fi link persistently dropping out - all
of 4m range through one wall - so I bought a couple of Netgear
XE102UK powerline etherent modules (14Mbps).

The router is in the next room and the power sockets are adjacent
on the ring main.

I am on cable so my 'normal' speeds are about 7Mb download and
around 350-400K upload. When I first put the units on line
speedtest.net showed I was getting about 120K upload and 130K
download. I read the manual - don't use on a spike protected
circuit - so I removed same. Now I can't get any speed ratings at
all!! I would add that the router end is on a mains distribution
block with about 0.5m of 1.5mm cable; the PC end is on a similar
block but with about 1m of cable. Neither has any filtering of
any sort.

Curiously the encryption software that comes with the units
indicates a link speed of between 11 and 15 Mbps which I cannot
believe. Even my home page on starting up IE7 takes anything up
to about 20 secs to complete: the root page appears in a few
seconds but any animations and things like that take ages to 'add
on.' By comparison the wi-fi link - when it works - takes well
less than four seconds to complete.

Anyone got any bright (and polite) ideas?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com