Easiest way to operate a computer remotely?

Old May 21st 10, 12:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim Downie

Default Easiest way to operate a computer remotely?

I know there are many ways to do this but I have a very tiny mind and need
something simple to enable me to provide PC support for my mother.

At present I have headbangingly frustrating conversations over the phone
trying to talk her through her problems (which are usually simple email
login problems) and it would be so much easier if I could access her PC and
remotely take control.

What's the simplest (free) way of doing this? Both our machines are running
XP.

Tim

Old May 21st 10, 01:25 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 21/05/2010 in message Tim
Downie wrote:

What's the simplest (free) way of doing this? Both our machines are
running XP.

XP's remote assistance works well in this type of situation:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ist/intro.mspx

You would have to make sure your mother has WLM and can use it.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his friends for his
Old May 21st 10, 02:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Scott

Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 21/05/2010 in message Tim
Downie wrote:

What's the simplest (free) way of doing this? Both our machines are
running XP.

XP's remote assistance works well in this type of situation:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ist/intro.mspx

You would have to make sure your mother has WLM and can use it.

It is also possible to run a VNC server on XP. Freeware. And once
installed, iirc there's little knowledge needed. You don't say what
bandwidth connection you'll be using.

--
Mike Scott (unet2 at [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England
Old May 21st 10, 05:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Harry

"Mike Scott" wrote in message
Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 21/05/2010 in message Tim
Downie wrote:

What's the simplest (free) way of doing this? Both our machines are
running XP.

XP's remote assistance works well in this type of situation:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ist/intro.mspx
You would have to make sure your mother has WLM and can use it.

It is also possible to run a VNC server on XP. Freeware. And once
installed, iirc there's little knowledge needed. You don't say what
bandwidth connection you'll be using.

--
Mike Scott (unet2 at [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England

What you really need is teamviewer.
http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx
Its free always a bonus and very easy to use.

Old May 21st 10, 05:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Fri, 21 May 2010 11:46:50 +0100
"Tim Downie" wrote:

I know there are many ways to do this but I have a very tiny mind and
need something simple to enable me to provide PC support for my
mother.

At present I have headbangingly frustrating conversations over the
phone trying to talk her through her problems (which are usually
simple email login problems) and it would be so much easier if I
could access her PC and remotely take control.

What's the simplest (free) way of doing this? Both our machines are
running XP.

TightVNC is free, cross-platform and not too much of a bandwidth hog.

Old May 21st 10, 10:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
GlowingBlueMist

On 5/21/2010 5:46 AM, Tim Downie wrote:
I know there are many ways to do this but I have a very tiny mind and
need something simple to enable me to provide PC support for my mother.

At present I have headbangingly frustrating conversations over the phone
trying to talk her through her problems (which are usually simple email
login problems) and it would be so much easier if I could access her PC
and remotely take control.

What's the simplest (free) way of doing this? Both our machines are
running XP.

Tim

I have used the program Crossloop to take over remote control of a
friends computer (at his request) in order to fix a problem. They have
pay versions as well as a free one, with fewer features.

http://www.crossloop.com/download.ht...ownload_footer

I have used Crossloop along with Skype at both ends to talk over the
problems with a friends computer as well rather than tie up a phone
line. Most people like to be able to ask you questions while you work
on their computer remotely even though it can get distracting...

Another program that has been recommended to me by other technicians is
TeamViewer. It appears to have even more features and is free for
private users according information on the web link below.

http://www.teamviewer.com/solutions/support.aspx

It appears that this application includes a built in Skype type
interface as well, if you activate it, but I have not actually used the
TeamViewer myself yet.

Old May 27th 10, 08:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

http://teamviewer.com/index.aspx

Old May 27th 10, 05:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BORG

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
I know there are many ways to do this but I have a very tiny mind and
need something simple to enable me to provide PC support for my mother.

http://teamviewer.com/index.aspx

I have used MSN messenger in the past to good affect.
Old May 30th 10, 11:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Richard Sutherland

In message , Tim Downie
writes
I know there are many ways to do this but I have a very tiny mind and
need something simple to enable me to provide PC support for my mother.

At present I have headbangingly frustrating conversations over the
phone trying to talk her through her problems (which are usually simple
email login problems) and it would be so much easier if I could access
her PC and remotely take control.

What's the simplest (free) way of doing this? Both our machines are
running XP.

Tim

Not sure if it will work with XP but I've used Logmein to help my
mother/rest of the family out.
--
Richard. ** http://www.grange.demon.co.uk **
"Snarl, Growl, Kill, Maim, Murder!!" - Sig Vicious
Old May 31st 10, 09:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Woody

"Richard Sutherland" wrote in
message ...
In message , Tim
Downie writes
I know there are many ways to do this but I have a very tiny
mind and need something simple to enable me to provide PC
support for my mother.

At present I have headbangingly frustrating conversations over
the phone trying to talk her through her problems (which are
usually simple email login problems) and it would be so much
easier if I could access her PC and remotely take control.

What's the simplest (free) way of doing this? Both our
machines are running XP.

Tim

Not sure if it will work with XP but I've used Logmein to help
my mother/rest of the family out.
--
Richard. ** http://www.grange.demon.co.uk **
"Snarl, Growl, Kill, Maim, Murder!!" - Sig Vicious

Have a look here
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...y/default.mspx

Most IT staff when helping on line use Remote Desktop which works
well and is very effective.

Otherwise consider VNC.

--
Woody