How do I Block MSN...

Old May 29th 10, 12:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve

Default How do I Block MSN...

Hi

Son has a PC, and is quite responsible using it, but have found that he is
tempted to spend all the evening after school on MSN and Facebook, and also
late at night, chatting to his friends.

I have a Dell router, and I have used this to quite successfully block all
traffic to his PC after 2230 to stop him spending all night on it. However
between the hours of 1530 and 1700, I would like to block MSN and Facebook.
Facebook, and any other sites I see to be a problem are blocked quite
successfully, but MSN seems to run through anything I throw at it, unless I
block all traffic completely.

I know people will say he will find other methods of procrastination, but I
have found he works quite well at homework without the computer, but I don't
want to block him using it for coursework research.

This will need to be a router solution that prevents MSN from connecting,
but only during specified times, working normally otherwise. Looks like
blocking the addresses it uses to connect is the only way, because it likes
to use HTTP when it can't get through any other way.

Old May 29th 10, 01:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek

On 29/05/10 12:26, Steve wrote:
Hi

Son has a PC, and is quite responsible using it, but have found that he is
tempted to spend all the evening after school on MSN and Facebook, and also
late at night, chatting to his friends.

This looks to me like an attempt to apply a technological solution to a
management problem. I expect that as such it's doomed to failure and
will probably result in him getting angry and wasting unnecessary time
and effort developing his own technological solutions to counter yours.

--
Bernard Peek

Old May 29th 10, 01:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve

"Bernard Peek" wrote in message
On 29/05/10 12:26, Steve wrote:
Hi

Son has a PC, and is quite responsible using it, but have found that he
is
tempted to spend all the evening after school on MSN and Facebook, and
also
late at night, chatting to his friends.

This looks to me like an attempt to apply a technological solution to a
management problem. I expect that as such it's doomed to failure and will
probably result in him getting angry and wasting unnecessary time and
effort developing his own technological solutions to counter yours.

Not really, the problem is more the distraction effect that you have when he
is working and the computer flashes up that xxxx is online when they log in,
or they send him a message and gets into a conversation with him.

Old May 29th 10, 01:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On 29/05/10 12:26, Steve wrote:
Hi

Son has a PC, and is quite responsible using it, but have found
that he is
tempted to spend all the evening after school on MSN and Facebook,
and also
late at night, chatting to his friends.

This looks to me like an attempt to apply a technological solution
to a management problem. I expect that as such it's doomed to
failure and will probably result in him getting angry and wasting
unnecessary time and effort developing his own technological
solutions to counter yours.

Not really, the problem is more the distraction effect that you have
when he is working and the computer flashes up that xxxx is online
when they log in, or they send him a message and gets into a
conversation with him.

So tell him to turn off MSN, then it can't distract him - job done.

Old May 29th 10, 02:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
BORG

Delete it
Old May 29th 10, 08:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adrian C

On 29/05/2010 13:36, Steve wrote:

Not really, the problem is more the distraction effect that you have when he
is working and the computer flashes up that xxxx is online when they log in,
or they send him a message and gets into a conversation with him.

Not so long ago I was working on a pretty boring documentation problem
on this computer. There were tough deadlines, I couldn't extend. And
stupid me had bought the problem home.

With my online addiction the only way I got past it was to physically
unplug the router, then focus on the job in hand.

Give your son reasonable deadlines, a means _for him_ to disconnect his
computer from messaging - and a treat at the end for getting his work
done. Doesn't MSN/facebook have a 'do not disturb' flag he can set?

Explain that in real life about meeting deadlines and sacrifices that
often have to made to do that. Best he learn that one young.

Oh ye end up useless and stressed like moi :-(

--
Adrian C
Old May 30th 10, 08:29 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

MSN is notoriously hard to block completely - plenty of IT departments have
struggled with doing this.
I think you'll struggle with just a small domestic router

--
Alex

Old May 30th 10, 03:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Sun, 30 May 2010 08:29:39 +0100
"Dr Zoidberg" wrote:

MSN is notoriously hard to block completely - plenty of IT
departments have struggled with doing this.
I think you'll struggle with just a small domestic router

A rootkit, OTOH, could just sit there looking for the offending windows
and kill them.

Old May 31st 10, 05:38 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve

news:[email protected]
"Dr Zoidberg" wrote:

MSN is notoriously hard to block completely - plenty of IT
departments have struggled with doing this.
I think you'll struggle with just a small domestic router

A rootkit, OTOH, could just sit there looking for the offending windows
and kill them.

I know how to remove it and prevent it from running, with this script

if exist "c:\program files\messenger\*.*"
rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
c:\windows\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove,5
if exist "c:\program files\messenger\*.*"
deltree /y "c:\program files\messenger"

but I'm not wanting to take the nuclear option.

Old June 10th 10, 06:19 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mark Opolo

news:[email protected]

On 29/05/10 12:26, Steve wrote:
Hi

Son has a PC, and is quite responsible using it, but have found
that he is
tempted to spend all the evening after school on MSN and Facebook,
and also
late at night, chatting to his friends.

This looks to me like an attempt to apply a technological solution
to a management problem. I expect that as such it's doomed to
failure and will probably result in him getting angry and wasting
unnecessary time and effort developing his own technological
solutions to counter yours.

Not really, the problem is more the distraction effect that you have
when he is working and the computer flashes up that xxxx is online
when they log in, or they send him a message and gets into a
conversation with him.

So tell him to turn off MSN, then it can't distract him - job done.

ah the NON parent answer...........