Renegotiation?

Old June 2nd 10, 09:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim Streater

Default Renegotiation?

Just put in a Netgear DG834Gv5 at home to replace a Voyager 210 that was
dropping the line several times a day. It seems to have 11-12 db of
noise margin so I was wondering if I could get it to renegotiate the
line speed up a bit without dropping the line. Couldn't find a
documented command to do it though. Is this likely to be possible?

--
Tim

Old June 2nd 10, 10:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
Just put in a Netgear DG834Gv5 at home to replace a Voyager 210 that was
dropping the line several times a day. It seems to have 11-12 db of
noise margin so I was wondering if I could get it to renegotiate the
line speed up a bit without dropping the line. Couldn't find a
documented command to do it though. Is this likely to be possible?

You can ask your ISP to do a CCSNR reset which may help.

Peter Crosland

Old June 2nd 10, 11:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

On 02/06/2010 21:43, Tim Streater wrote:
Just put in a Netgear DG834Gv5 at home to replace a Voyager 210 that was
dropping the line several times a day. It seems to have 11-12 db of
noise margin so I was wondering if I could get it to renegotiate the
line speed up a bit without dropping the line. Couldn't find a
documented command to do it though. Is this likely to be possible?

This is something that is done at BT either automatically or at the
request of the ISP.

--
Conor www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.
Old June 3rd 10, 10:44 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tim Streater

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
Just put in a Netgear DG834Gv5 at home to replace a Voyager 210 that was
dropping the line several times a day. It seems to have 11-12 db of
noise margin so I was wondering if I could get it to renegotiate the
line speed up a bit without dropping the line. Couldn't find a
documented command to do it though. Is this likely to be possible?

In article ,
"Peter Crosland" wrote:

You can ask your ISP to do a CCSNR reset which may help.

In article , Conor
wrote:

This is something that is done at BT either automatically or at the
request of the ISP.

Hmmm, not from my end then, by the sound of it (without dropping the
line myself, of course).

Oh well - thanks though.

--
Tim

Old June 3rd 10, 11:05 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
James Egan

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 21:43:38 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

Just put in a Netgear DG834Gv5 at home to replace a Voyager 210 that was
dropping the line several times a day. It seems to have 11-12 db of
noise margin so I was wondering if I could get it to renegotiate the
line speed up a bit without dropping the line. Couldn't find a
documented command to do it though. Is this likely to be possible?

With dgteam firmware you can adjust the SNR percentage to do this.

http://dgteam.ilbello.com/
There's no mention of v5 on the home page though so maybe you can't
use it?

Jim