Zyxel router won't do DHCP over Ethernet but will do so over wireless

Old June 15th 10, 10:10 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

Default Zyxel router won't do DHCP over Ethernet but will do so over wireless

A friend asked my to investigate why his new router, a Zyxel P-660HW-T V2,
(supplied by his business) wasn't allowing one of his PCs to work.

I established that this PC, which is connected over Ethernet, isn't being
given an IP address whereas another PC which connects over wireless is
getting an IP address by DHCP. My own laptop failed in the same way to get
an IP address over Ethernet but succeeded when connected over wireless.

Unfortunately he didn't know his router's configuration password (he's going
to get it tomorrow) so I couldn't investigate further.

But does anyone know whether the router can be configured to apply MAC
address filtering on Ethernet (as opposed to the normal case of on wireless)
or whether DHCP can be enabled only for one interface (wireless) and not for
another (Ethernet). Or can anyone think of anything else that could have
been misconfigured so as to allow only wireless PCs to get IP addresses.

I can't see anything in the user manual which describes this symptom.

I solved the problem in the short term by giving the Ethernet PC a static IP
address, gateway and DNS server, but this is not a good long-term solution
because there's the chance that DHCP may one day hand out the IP address
that I've configured statically.

Old June 16th 10, 03:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 22:10:29 +0100
"Mortimer" wrote:

A friend asked my to investigate why his new router, a Zyxel
P-660HW-T V2, (supplied by his business) wasn't allowing one of his
PCs to work.

I established that this PC, which is connected over Ethernet, isn't
being given an IP address whereas another PC which connects over
wireless is getting an IP address by DHCP. My own laptop failed in
the same way to get an IP address over Ethernet but succeeded when
connected over wireless.

Unfortunately he didn't know his router's configuration password
(he's going to get it tomorrow) so I couldn't investigate further.

Just hit the reset button and use the default password. :-)

But does anyone know whether the router can be configured to apply
MAC address filtering on Ethernet (as opposed to the normal case of
on wireless) or whether DHCP can be enabled only for one interface
(wireless) and not for another (Ethernet). Or can anyone think of
anything else that could have been misconfigured so as to allow only
wireless PCs to get IP addresses.

I can't think of any sensible reason that it would affect only one of
the LAN interfaces.