Is Ignoring Michael (TKIP) a mad/bad idea?

Old June 17th 10, 05:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Adrian C

Default Is Ignoring Michael (TKIP) a mad/bad idea?

WPA-TKIP heads on please.

I'm currently debugging someone else's WPA wireless card driver and
having some issues with TKIP MIC failures blocking ubuntu traffic to my
access point. So, in the name of getting the custom build out of the
door, I've disabled MIC checking and the whole thing 'authenticates'
nicely. Phew....

However, the wireless environment that this build is heading for is
someone's house in the midst of suburbia. Will it be reasonly secure out
there, I wonder?

Are the hackers/kiddies really spending much time doing replay attacks
on WPA networks and have I dumbed down security down to the level of
WEP, or worse?

Should I fix, or should it go?

--
Adrian C
Old June 17th 10, 05:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Hadron

Adrian C writes:

WPA-TKIP heads on please.

I'm currently debugging someone else's WPA wireless card driver and
having some issues with TKIP MIC failures blocking ubuntu traffic to my
access point. So, in the name of getting the custom build out of the
door, I've disabled MIC checking and the whole thing 'authenticates'
nicely. Phew....

However, the wireless environment that this build is heading for is
someone's house in the midst of suburbia. Will it be reasonly secure out
there, I wonder?

Are the hackers/kiddies really spending much time doing replay attacks
on WPA networks and have I dumbed down security down to the level of
WEP, or worse?

Should I fix, or should it go?

If you can modify drivers I am amazed you are asking this.

Using any form of substandard wireless security is dumber than dumb.

Especially in the light of individuals being prosecuted for what others
have downloaded from their insecure connections.

So simple answer : no it will not be secure and no you should not take
the risk.
Old June 17th 10, 05:50 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Adrian C

On 17/06/2010 16:21, Hadron wrote:
Adrian writes:

Should I fix, or should it go?

If you can modify drivers I am amazed you are asking this.

The source is well commented, syslog is updated and google has plenty of
commentry about people who have followed the same path. This isn't
windows, if it's broken you do have the chance to fix it!

Sure, I'm learning a little about what I'm hacking but diving straight
into the bones of TKIP and WPA security is beyond me at present.

Using any form of substandard wireless security is dumber than dumb.

But is it dumber that WEP? Won't folks see WPA and move on, or will they
try an attack just the same....

OK, think I'm going to have to continue on and fix this.

--
Adrian C
Old June 17th 10, 06:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
DanS

Especially in the light of individuals being prosecuted for
what others have downloaded from their insecure
connections.

Can you cite a source for this ?
Old June 17th 10, 07:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Hadron

DanS writes:

Especially in the light of individuals being prosecuted for
what others have downloaded from their insecure
connections.

Can you cite a source for this ?

Find it yourself.

It's well enough known.

They even passed a law in Germany recently making it the router's
onwer's fault if people use it to download illegally.

Old June 17th 10, 08:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
DanS

wrote in
:

DanS writes:

Especially in the light of individuals being prosecuted
for what others have downloaded from their insecure
connections.

Can you cite a source for this ?

Find it yourself.

Nope, you made the assertion.

Old June 17th 10, 10:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Victor Meldrew

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 13:29:05 -0500, DanS
wrote:

Nope, you made the assertion.

You lazy tosser, it's there for all 2 sea

--
vic
Old June 17th 10, 10:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
J G Miller

On Thursday, June 17th, 2010 at 13:29:05h -0500, DanS wrote:

wrote in
:

DanS writes:

Especially in the light of individuals being prosecuted for what
others have downloaded from their insecure connections.

Can you cite a source for this ?

Find it yourself.

Nope, you made the assertion.

Rather than thread continue to degenerate with further bickering which is all
certain posters appear to come to this newsgroup to do, and for the benefit
of others reading, here is the story.

From

http://www.scmagazineuk.COM/german-wifi-owners-are-now-liable-for-what-third-party-users-download-while-connected-to-their-network/article/170061/

QUOTE

German WiFi owners are now liable for what third party users
download while connected to their network

Internet users in Germany can now be fined up to €100 if a
third party takes advantage of their unprotected WLAN connection
to illegally download music or other files.

According to the Associated Press, Germany's top criminal court
has said that internet users need to secure their private wireless
connections by password to prevent unauthorised people from using
their web access to illegally download data.

However the court stopped short of holding the users responsible
for the illegal content the third party downloads themselves.

UNQUOTE
Old June 17th 10, 11:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Shadow

DanS writes:

[...]

What a contrast !!!
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06...nsecured_wifi/
[]'s
Old June 18th 10, 12:07 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,alt.os.linux.ubuntu
Adrian C

On 17/06/2010 21:54, J G Miller wrote:
Rather than thread continue to degenerate with further bickering which is all
certain posters appear to come to this newsgroup to do,

Hey, I come in peace....

(shoot to kill)

There's Klingons on the starboard bow, starboard bow, starboard bow;
there's Klingons on the starboard bow, scrape 'em off, Jim.

:-)

--
Adrian C