Wierd PC-router problem

Old June 28th 10, 04:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
arthurh

Default Wierd PC-router problem

This has baffled me and I have reached the limit of my knowledge. Can
anyone here offer a solution?

My home network has an ADSL router with 4 wired ports plus wireless.
Two ports have wired desktop PC connections and a third has a NAS disk
array. There's also a laptop using the wireless connection.

A few days ago one of the desktop PCs suddenly decided that it could
no longer access the other PC's or the NAS, but it still had
unhindered access to the internet through the router. The other PC's
could not connect to it. There had been no hardware or software
changes, and all the rest of the network continues to operate
normally. It's been running happily since last year, and automatic
updates are turned off

I turned off firewall and anti-virus - no difference.
I replaced the cable betwen the PC and router - no difference.

The PC is a modern EVGA board running Win7 64 bit. HomeGroup is
disabled since the other PC's are using Win XP. It has two gigabit
connections on-board. I swapped to the other connection - no
difference.

I reviewd all the network settings. They appear to be unchanged.

I connected the laptop to the same network cable in place of the
desktop - it immediately saw the network and connected to the other
PC's.

Back on the desktop, Windows network diagnostics could find no
problem.
I pinged the addresses of the other PC's and got 1mS returns.
Still no access to the other PC's.

I swapped round all the connections at the router - no difference.

I replaced the router with another one - still no difference.

Today I decided there must be a hardware fault on the PC's mother
board, so I went out and bought a separate network adaptor board.
Still no difference - it sees the outside world but not the local
network!

I'm out of ideas - anyone?
Old June 28th 10, 05:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:20:07 +0100
arthurh wrote:

This has baffled me and I have reached the limit of my knowledge. Can
anyone here offer a solution?

My home network has an ADSL router with 4 wired ports plus wireless.
Two ports have wired desktop PC connections and a third has a NAS disk
array. There's also a laptop using the wireless connection.

A few days ago one of the desktop PCs suddenly decided that it could
no longer access the other PC's or the NAS, but it still had
unhindered access to the internet through the router. The other PC's
could not connect to it. There had been no hardware or software
changes, and all the rest of the network continues to operate
normally. It's been running happily since last year, and automatic
updates are turned off

snip details

It looks like a specific problem with SMB configuration rather than
general networking or hardware. I don't know Windows 7 so I'm
guessing: try uninstalling the file and printer sharing component
from the network connection, rebooting and then reinstalling it.

Old June 28th 10, 06:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Don C

Sounds like something has chnaged with the "network sharing". Either the
firewall has stopped trusting the others or windows has disabled
sharing/browsing the local network.

If you can ping then the physical connection is working.

Don C

Old June 28th 10, 07:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
arthurh

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:18:44 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

It looks like a specific problem with SMB configuration rather than
general networking or hardware. I don't know Windows 7 so I'm
guessing: try uninstalling the file and printer sharing component
from the network connection, rebooting and then reinstalling it.

Thank you both for your answers. In the meantime I have taken the PC
back to a disk image backup taken before the problem occurred, and it
works normally. So it is definitely a PC software problem. All the
networking settings *look* the same, but I will go back to the latest
image and try reinstalling as much as possible of the networking and
sharing software.
Old June 28th 10, 09:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Will

I'm out of ideas - anyone?

Firewall - my 2p
- bet some IPs have changed subtly.

Old June 28th 10, 11:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
arthurh

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:51:26 +0100, "Will"
wrote:

I'm out of ideas - anyone?

Firewall - my 2p
- bet some IPs have changed subtly.

As I said in my OP, just about the first thing I did was to turn off
the firewall.
Since my last post I have tried un/re installing just about anything
that could possibly have a bearing on it but without success.

So my solution was to go back again to my month-old image backup, and
update it with the relatively few program changes made since then.
(Docs and data are all on a separate HD so not affected).

Guess I will never know exactly where the fault was but it's going
well now and fingers crossed it won't happen again.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Old June 29th 10, 09:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

wrote:

I'm out of ideas - anyone?

Firewall - my 2p
- bet some IPs have changed subtly.

As I said in my OP, just about the first thing I did was to turn off
the firewall.
Since my last post I have tried un/re installing just about anything
that could possibly have a bearing on it but without success.

So my solution was to go back again to my month-old image backup, and
update it with the relatively few program changes made since then.
(Docs and data are all on a separate HD so not affected).

Guess I will never know exactly where the fault was but it's going
well now and fingers crossed it won't happen again.

It might be stating the obvious but have got comprehensive, up to date, anti
virus and anti trojan protection?

Peter Crosland

Old June 29th 10, 10:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Nemo

wrote:

I'm out of ideas - anyone?

Firewall - my 2p
- bet some IPs have changed subtly.

As I said in my OP, just about the first thing I did was to turn off
the firewall.
Since my last post I have tried un/re installing just about anything
that could possibly have a bearing on it but without success.

So my solution was to go back again to my month-old image backup, and
update it with the relatively few program changes made since then.
(Docs and data are all on a separate HD so not affected).

Guess I will never know exactly where the fault was but it's going
well now and fingers crossed it won't happen again.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Dunno if this will work for you, but it fixed a very similar-sounding
problem for me. [Fix is courtesy of a web forum somewhere... can't
remember where/who to credit]

After a period of time, Windows 7 acting as server would drop and
refuse re-connection from XP client PCs
until rebooted. Vista and Windows 7 PC clients continue to connect OK.
All works OK for an arbitrary period
then the problem recurs.

Check the Event Viewer System log:
Source: srv
Event ID: 2017
Level: Error
The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool
because the server reached the configured
limit for nonpaged pool allocations.

To fix this you need to tell Windows that you want to use the machine
as a file server and that it should
allocate resources accordingly.

Set the following registry key to 1':

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
\LargeSystemCache

and set the following registry key to 3':

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServe r\Parameters\Size

[Looks like a resource leak problem?]
Old June 30th 10, 09:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
arthurh

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 20:09:09 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I'm out of ideas - anyone?

Firewall - my 2p
- bet some IPs have changed subtly.

As I said in my OP, just about the first thing I did was to turn off
the firewall.
Since my last post I have tried un/re installing just about anything
that could possibly have a bearing on it but without success.

So my solution was to go back again to my month-old image backup, and
update it with the relatively few program changes made since then.
(Docs and data are all on a separate HD so not affected).

Guess I will never know exactly where the fault was but it's going
well now and fingers crossed it won't happen again.

It might be stating the obvious but have got comprehensive, up to date, anti
virus and anti trojan protection?

Yes. My livelihood depends on it!