Government drops broadband tax

Old July 7th 10, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Default Government drops broadband tax

"Mark" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 09:06:45 +0100, "Carl Waring"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
. ..

the foot anyway. After all MP3 downloads are a promotion tool for a
band so why on earth do record companies try to stop us listening to
them?

So all MP3s should be free to download. So how does everyone artists,
etc.,
make their money?

Strawman alert.

At what point does an MP3 stop being a 'promotional tool' and start being
something you pay for?

It's easy to think of how this would work. You can make free
downloads of part of the song at high quality or the full song at low
quality. You then charge a reasonable amount for the full song at
high quality.

Or the band has a modicum of talent and release works of some value.

There are a number of groups (and one female singer) where I have downloaded
some of their materiel and were so impressed I went out and bought their
entire discography (even importing a some CDs), which I wouldn't have done
if I hadn't downloaded their MP3 in the first place (mind you the same can
be said about some of the mainstream artist I enjoy and find that they have
released some albums elsewhere).

The same has gone for films, if I hadn't downloaded a couple of films I
wouldn't have been introduced to Studio Ghibli and the like and from there
onto other non mainstream releases. Mind you films are such a palaver that
I've only down loaded a few as I don't have the time time to watch them,
but music is always on even now (got to keep it down though or else I get
complaints from SWMBO).

(\__/) M.

Well if you don't see this I won't know ;-p

Old July 8th 10, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 21:59:13 +0100, "kraftee"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message

[...]

This kind of situation happens frequently to me too. I also often
hear a song I have never heard before. I've no idea who the artist
is. If I can't find out by searching for the lyrics or downloading
MP3s to hear them I won't be able to buy the music. However this is
just the kind of thing that record companies are trying to stop. Talk
about shooting themselves in the foot.
--
(\__/) M.

Old July 8th 10, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, The
Natural Philosopher chose the tried and tested strategy of:

The onset of ardo and 78's braodened the reach of teh best musicians,
but did not imnpact on teh live market too much - since te quality of
reproduction was poor.

Quite.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
22:05:37 up 12 days, 9:34, 6 users, load average: 0.26, 1.29, 1.07

Old July 9th 10, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"alexd" wrote in message
Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, The
Natural Philosopher chose the tried and tested strategy of:

The onset of ardo and 78's braodened the reach of teh best musicians,
but did not imnpact on teh live market too much - since te quality of
reproduction was poor.

Quite.

So glad I wasn't the only one..... ;-)