Phones don't reliably ring after putting in microfilters

Old July 26th 10, 11:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

Default Phones don't reliably ring after putting in microfilters

I was at a customer's house setting up broadband and put in microfilters in
all the phone sockets that had phones plugged into them, plus one for the
socket that the router is plugged into.

He's reporting that since then, intermittently his phones don't ring or else
give a feeble bleep instead of a proper ring-ring.

Now he may have fallen foul of the REN problem - the RENs of all his phones
add up to more than the REN limit of the line - but why has the problem only
been seen since I've added the filters? Surely it would have existed before
as well.

Old July 28th 10, 06:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob

"Mortimer" wrote in message
o.uk...
I was at a customer's house setting up broadband and put in microfilters in
all the phone sockets that had phones plugged into them, plus one for the
socket that the router is plugged into.

He's reporting that since then, intermittently his phones don't ring or
else give a feeble bleep instead of a proper ring-ring.

Now he may have fallen foul of the REN problem - the RENs of all his
phones add up to more than the REN limit of the line - but why has the
problem only been seen since I've added the filters? Surely it would have
existed before as well.

Maybe th filters are putting a slight extra load on the line and that the
equipment at the exchange was 'on the edge' as far as REN is concerned?
Or possibly one of the filters is bad? Unplugging one filter/extension
phone
at a time should help trace a bad one.
--
Rob

Old July 28th 10, 06:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

"Rob" wrote in message

"Mortimer" wrote in message
o.uk...
I was at a customer's house setting up broadband and put in microfilters
in all the phone sockets that had phones plugged into them, plus one for
the socket that the router is plugged into.

He's reporting that since then, intermittently his phones don't ring or
else give a feeble bleep instead of a proper ring-ring.

Now he may have fallen foul of the REN problem - the RENs of all his
phones add up to more than the REN limit of the line - but why has the
problem only been seen since I've added the filters? Surely it would have
existed before as well.

Maybe th filters are putting a slight extra load on the line and that the
equipment at the exchange was 'on the edge' as far as REN is concerned?
Or possibly one of the filters is bad? Unplugging one filter/extension
phone
at a time should help trace a bad one.

Yes I've advised him to unplug one phone+filter at a time and see if the
problem goes away. I'm waiting to hear back from him. The "on the edge of
compatibility" theory sounds very plausible.

Old July 28th 10, 11:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Anthony R. Gold

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 22:54:40 +0100, "Mortimer" wrote:

I was at a customer's house setting up broadband and put in microfilters in
all the phone sockets that had phones plugged into them, plus one for the
socket that the router is plugged into.

He's reporting that since then, intermittently his phones don't ring or else
give a feeble bleep instead of a proper ring-ring.

Now he may have fallen foul of the REN problem - the RENs of all his phones
add up to more than the REN limit of the line - but why has the problem only
been seen since I've added the filters? Surely it would have existed before
as well.

The problem sounds like an insufficiently sized capacitor in the bell line of
the microfilter. Try a filter of a different brand. The filter itself does
not impose any REN load on the line but it can restrict the current flowing
on the bell line to the filtered phones.

Tony
Old July 29th 10, 06:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Weston

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 22:54:40 +0100, "Mortimer" wrote:

I was at a customer's house setting up broadband and put in
microfilters in all the phone sockets that had phones plugged into
them, plus one for the socket that the router is plugged into.

He's reporting that since then, intermittently his phones don't ring or
else give a feeble bleep instead of a proper ring-ring.

Now he may have fallen foul of the REN problem - the RENs of all his
phones add up to more than the REN limit of the line - but why has the
problem only been seen since I've added the filters? Surely it would
have existed before as well.

I've seen some cheap, imported plug-in filters that don't regenerate the
ring signal on pin3 of their phone output socket. If he has one of
these, then the phone wouldn't even ring if it is an old one needing the
pin3 ringing supply.

I suppose there may be versions of these that connect all the unused
pins, other than those with the filter, between the input and output
phone socket. That would connect the bell wire back to the master socket
with undesirable consequences...

Sounds to me that the filters have too small a ring capacitor installed.

I'd look at putting a master socket faceplate filter (e.g. ADSLnation)
and connect all his phone wiring onto its rear phone punch-down
connectors. The ADSL modem/router can then be plugged into the ADSL
socket or an ADSL-only wire installed from the rear ADSL punch-down
connectors to his remote ADSL location. Then you can throw away all his
plug-in filters that seem to hold a fascination for gnawing animals

--
John W