5 reasons why you should choose mobile broadband

Old August 4th 10, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
CJB

Default 5 reasons why you should choose mobile broadband

http://www.lovemoney.com/news/get-th...ript-5026.aspx

And see the comments increased radiation risks.
Old August 4th 10, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
The Natural Philosopher

CJB wrote:
http://www.lovemoney.com/news/get-th...ript-5026.aspx

And see the comments increased radiation risks.

seems to me the reasons given there are precisely why I dont want it.

- no coverage anywhere I can use it
- crap download speeds
- I have a fixed line.
- costs a packet.
- requires additional hardware that I don't have.
- requires yet another contract with yet another supplier.
- its a damned sight harder to set up and debug ion e.g. Linux than a
router.

Old August 4th 10, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Steve

In article , lid says...

CJB wrote:
http://www.lovemoney.com/news/get-th...ript-5026.aspx

And see the comments increased radiation risks.

seems to me the reasons given there are precisely why I dont want it.

- no coverage anywhere I can use it

I have to use it and coverage is no guarantee of a reliable service. I
get a five bar HSPDA signal here from two separate providers (a third
lied about their coverage). During busy times it can become unusably
slow or just stop working altogether with no hint of an error message
just no data transfer.

Steve.
Old August 4th 10, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Peter Rogers

CJB wrote:

http://www.lovemoney.com/news/get-th...asons-why-you-
should-choose-mobile-broadband--video-script-5026.aspx

And see the comments increased radiation risks.

seems to me the reasons given there are precisely why I dont want it.

- no coverage anywhere I can use it
- crap download speeds
- I have a fixed line.
- costs a packet.
- requires additional hardware that I don't have.
- requires yet another contract with yet another supplier.
- its a damned sight harder to set up and debug ion e.g. Linux than a
router.

If you took the time to check all these claims before you post, you would
find that most are complete rubbish.

No coverage?.......
I have used mobile broadband for quite a while now both at home and out on
the move using an HSDPA mobile phone, and although there is undoubtedly
areas where coverage might be patchy, I have yet to find anywhere that I go
where I cannot get a useable signal. Remember also that some people still
cant get fixed broadband either due to rural locations etc. I know some
people who use mobile broadband because they cannot get fixed broadband at
home. At home I get a full signal all the time.

Crap download speeds?.....
I get consistant 3mbps plus, whch is about the same speed as my fixed
connection at home. The mobile upload speed is faster (1024kbps) than my
fixed broadband service, so for sending data its faster than the fixed line.

I have a fixed line too...... which to me is a waste of money, and it will
be going once I have finished the contract

Costs a packet?
Not at all, for most users 10 or 15 pounds a month will give them enough
data allowance to last the month easily, and there are other cheaper options
than that as well. (Unless you are an heavy downloader).

Requires additional hardware.....
Yes an HSDPA dongle or HSDPA capable mobile phone that can be purchased
quite cheaply on Ebay etc.

Requires yet another contract......
No contract required, I would never have looked at mobile broadband if it
had required another contract. I choose to pay as I go. If I dont want it,
I dont pay for it.

Its a damned sight harder to set up.......
Installation in XP, Vista and Windows 7 as just a case of plugging in the
dongle and it installs automatically. I run a Huawei router at home which
accepts a USB dongle, so that works just fine on any operating system
including Linux as it just connects directly to a LAN port for configuration
and use just like any other router does. The router offers 802.11g WiFi
connection and fixed connections via the LAN port. Set up is dead easy on
any operating system including Linux.

Regarding the radiation risks, many people use 802.11 wireless on their
laptop. I just do the same with my mobile broadband setup. The router and
dongle are installed in the loft, well away from my operating location
downstairs.

Regards
Peter

Old August 4th 10, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Fredxx

"Peter Rogers" wrote in message

CJB wrote:

[...]

I find it quite variable.

Crap download speeds?.....
I get consistant 3mbps plus, whch is about the same speed as my fixed
connection at home. The mobile upload speed is faster (1024kbps) than my
fixed broadband service, so for sending data its faster than the fixed
line.

That is not my experience, I find download speeds are a fraction I get from
a fixed line, often 200kb/s. It depends very much on the signal and time of
day.

I have a fixed line too...... which to me is a waste of money, and it will
be going once I have finished the contract

Costs a packet?
Not at all, for most users 10 or 15 pounds a month will give them enough
data allowance to last the month easily, and there are other cheaper
options
than that as well. (Unless you are an heavy downloader).

Some mobile contracts have a free internet connection as well as free
minutes and texts, 3GB bolt on can be as cheap as 5.

Requires additional hardware.....
Yes an HSDPA dongle or HSDPA capable mobile phone that can be purchased
quite cheaply on Ebay etc.

Requires yet another contract......
No contract required, I would never have looked at mobile broadband if it
had required another contract. I choose to pay as I go. If I dont want
it,
I dont pay for it.

The cheapest is generally contract, though a month notice is all that is
needed.

Its a damned sight harder to set up.......
Installation in XP, Vista and Windows 7 as just a case of plugging in the
dongle and it installs automatically. I run a Huawei router at home which
accepts a USB dongle, so that works just fine on any operating system
including Linux as it just connects directly to a LAN port for
configuration
and use just like any other router does. The router offers 802.11g WiFi
connection and fixed connections via the LAN port. Set up is dead easy on
any operating system including Linux.

I agree that setup is designed to be easy.

Regarding the radiation risks, many people use 802.11 wireless on their
laptop. I just do the same with my mobile broadband setup. The router
and
dongle are installed in the loft, well away from my operating location
downstairs.

I use a Bluetooth dongle to connect to my phone, which I thought was a lower
RF power than wireless?

Old August 4th 10, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Steve Terry

CJB wrote:
http://www.lovemoney.com/news/get-th...ript-5026.aspx

And see the comments increased radiation risks.

seems to me the reasons given there are precisely why I dont want it.

- no coverage anywhere I can use it
- crap download speeds
- I have a fixed line.
- costs a packet.

Costs a packet?
I pay 5quid a month for Three internet, i get 2Mbps d/l for dial up costs,
using a tethered 40 Skype S2 HSDPA phone which with it's built in
modem software (for Win XP) and better aerial works better than a USB
dongle.

and the 10quid top up each 3 months gives me 5000 3 to 3 mins,
300 text and the first 150mb of data.

At the moment Superdrug have the INQ1 slide version for 29.99
Same spec as the S2, except with a better emailer app.
http://www.inqmobile.com/lang/en/phones/inq1/

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of 1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

Old August 4th 10, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
PeeGee

On 04/08/10 13:11, Peter Rogers wrote:
"The Natural wrote in message
CJB wrote:

[...]

Lucky you :-) I live less than 150m from a mast but get between
"emergency calls only" and one HSDPA bar (of 4). If I was driving down
the motorway, I would get a full signal! Though the top of the mast
being "below datum" for the houses in between may have something to do
with it :-)

That said, it is reasonably quick when a good connexion *is* present
(like in the loft) :-)

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old August 4th 10, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Steve Terry

"CJB" wrote in message
http://www.lovemoney.com/news/get-th...ript-5026.aspx

And see the comments increased radiation risks.

Drivel, my tethered Skype S2 is on a 1.5 meter length USB lead,
a long way from my body.

Inverse law applies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

Steve Terry

Old August 4th 10, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Peter Rogers

"Steve Terry" wrote in message
"CJB" wrote in message

http://www.lovemoney.com/news/get-th...asons-why-you-
should-choose-mobile-broadband--video-script-5026.aspx

And see the comments increased radiation risks.

Drivel, my tethered Skype S2 is on a 1.5 meter length USB lead,
a long way from my body.

Inverse law applies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of 1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

Steve, I have an S2 here that wont boot up, ie when you switch it on it
shows the 3 logo, then at the point where it should show the desktop, it
goes off and starts again with the 3 logo. Basically it goes around in
circles. Ive googled this and found no fixes. The only way to stop it is
to remove the battery. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Old August 4th 10, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Steven Forrester

"Steve Terry" wrote in message

At the moment Superdrug have the INQ1 slide version for 29.99
Same spec as the S2, except with a better emailer app.

Just called three superdrug stores only to be told they DONT sell mobile
phones.