WD My World Edition NAS as a VPN server?

Old August 29th 10, 09:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Adrian C

Default WD My World Edition NAS as a VPN server?

There is apparently a hack to install the OpenVPN server component on
WD's 'My world edition' linux based NAS thingy.

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/openvpn

Anyone done this, and feel comfortable about the security of this
solution? Private IP thoughput issues? I can serve 1.3Mbps out of my
local network, the intention is to stream standard definition video
through the tunnel.

Finger hovering on the Amazon 'Buy' button at present, 1TB for 99

Or should I get an Atom based PC, one of the Acer Revo Linux things -
and hang a large SATA drive out of the back. 189.99 currently + cost of
a large 3.5" drive.

Trying to limit my electricity bill for things running 24/7.

--
Adrian C