Windows 7 network problem

Old September 10th 10, 11:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Iain

Default Windows 7 network problem

I've one computer running Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) which has a usb
printer attached.
I've a second computer which was running XP that could print to the printer
on the first computer.
The second computer has been upgraded(?) to Win 7 Home Premium (32 bit) and
can now no longer access the printer.
Both computers can ping each other, First can see second in the networking
folder, but second cannot see first.
When I run the troubleshooter it says that I need to have IPv6 installed. I
know the square root of sod all about IPv6, but the box is ticked in the
network adapter properties on both machines.
Both machines are running Zone Alarm.
Can anyone help me resolve this issue?
cheers,
Iain

Old September 10th 10, 11:45 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Whelan

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:40:43 +0100, Iain wrote:

I've one computer running Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) which has a
usb printer attached.
I've a second computer which was running XP that could print to the
printer on the first computer.
The second computer has been upgraded(?) to Win 7 Home Premium (32 bit)
and can now no longer access the printer. Both computers can ping each
other, First can see second in the networking folder, but second cannot
see first.
When I run the troubleshooter it says that I need to have IPv6
installed. I know the square root of sod all about IPv6, but the box is
ticked in the network adapter properties on both machines. Both machines
are running Zone Alarm. Can anyone help me resolve this issue? cheers,
Iain

First rule of solving networking difficulties is to temporarily disable
all firewalls.

Zone Alarm has prevented me from doing exactly what you are trying to do
on a pair of XP machines...

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old September 10th 10, 12:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Iain

"Chris Whelan" wrote in message
[...]

I've turned off Zone Alarm on both machines but it has made no difference.

Cheers,
Iain

Old September 10th 10, 12:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Iain

"Iain" wrote in message

[...]

Of course, it helps if both computers are in the same bloody
workgroup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iain

Old September 10th 10, 12:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Chris Whelan

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 12:34:52 +0100, Iain wrote:

[...]

Of course, it helps if both computers are in the same bloody
workgroup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been there, done that...

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old September 10th 10, 07:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

Windows 7 has homegroups that solves all of that ****wittery.

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk
Old September 11th 10, 09:28 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Iain

"Conor" wrote in message
On 10/09/2010 12:34, Iain wrote:

Of course, it helps if both computers are in the same bloody
workgroup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iain

Windows 7 has homegroups that solves all of that ****wittery.

Aye, but it's no use when you have computers running other versions of
Windows on the same network

Iain