BT 2700hgv. Accessing menu wirelessly.

Old October 4th 10, 09:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Another Dave

Default BT 2700hgv. Accessing menu wirelessly.

I've just bought one of these for 1.50. I got it working perfectly on a
non-BT ISP very quickly and I'm very pleased with it.

When I set it up I used 192.168.1.254 to access the set-up menu via a
wired Ethernet connection, although I'm now accessing the internet
wirelessly via the WAP (Fusion) connection.

I'd like to monitor the sync speed I'm getting wirelessly but I can't
seem to access the modem's internal pages this way.

Is it using a different IP address for Fusion connections and, if so,
what is it? Am I missing something?

It's running version 5.29 software.

Another Dave
Old October 4th 10, 09:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Comtroll

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 09:22:39 +0100, Another Dave wrote:

I've just bought one of these for 1.50. I got it working perfectly on a
non-BT ISP very quickly and I'm very pleased with it.

When I set it up I used 192.168.1.254 to access the set-up menu via a
wired Ethernet connection, although I'm now accessing the internet
wirelessly via the WAP (Fusion) connection.

I'd like to monitor the sync speed I'm getting wirelessly but I can't
seem to access the modem's internal pages this way.

Is it using a different IP address for Fusion connections and, if so,
what is it? Am I missing something?

It's running version 5.29 software.

Another Dave

Peter Crossland will tell you how! He swears by these things. Whilst he's
on, ask him to how you enable Upnp on it.......
Old October 4th 10, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Chapman

Another Dave said the following on Mon, 4 Oct 2010 at 09:22:39
I've just bought one of these for 1.50. I got it working perfectly on
a non-BT ISP very quickly and I'm very pleased with it.

When I set it up I used 192.168.1.254 to access the set-up menu via a
wired Ethernet connection, although I'm now accessing the internet
wirelessly via the WAP (Fusion) connection.

I really suggest that you DO NOT enable and use the Fusion facility i.e.
only use the native SSID.

Secondly, go to http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/001.htm and see if your
router can be changed to non BT firmware. If so, I recommend the SingTel
firmware over the SBC firmware.

--
Peter
Old October 4th 10, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Zahut

Peter Chapman wrote:
Another Dave said the following on Mon, 4 Oct 2010 at 09:22:39
I've just bought one of these for 1.50. I got it working perfectly
on a non-BT ISP very quickly and I'm very pleased with it.

When I set it up I used 192.168.1.254 to access the set-up menu via a
wired Ethernet connection, although I'm now accessing the internet
wirelessly via the WAP (Fusion) connection.

I really suggest that you DO NOT enable and use the Fusion facility
i.e. only use the native SSID.

Secondly, go to http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/001.htm and see if your
router can be changed to non BT firmware. If so, I recommend the
SingTel firmware over the SBC firmware.

I agree mostly with that but you don't have to stick to the native SSID. I
can see four others around me so to avoid confusion and to make sure I'm
connecting to my own BT2700HGV, I renamed my SSID to "The Sorcerer's Castle"
:-) But no, don't use the Fusion side of things.

Old October 4th 10, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Chapman

Pete Zahut said the following on Mon, 4 Oct 2010 at 10:48:21
Peter Chapman wrote:
[...]

Totally agree! I didn't write what I meant to say (

I meant the native wireless connection, Doh!
--
Peter
Old October 4th 10, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Another Dave" wrote in message
I've just bought one of these for 1.50. I got it working perfectly on a
non-BT ISP very quickly and I'm very pleased with it.

When I set it up I used 192.168.1.254 to access the set-up menu via a
wired Ethernet connection, although I'm now accessing the internet
wirelessly via the WAP (Fusion) connection.

I'd like to monitor the sync speed I'm getting wirelessly but I can't seem
to access the modem's internal pages this way.

Is it using a different IP address for Fusion connections and, if so, what
is it? Am I missing something?

It's running version 5.29 software.

Another Dave

As a general rule it is best to use a wired connection for making changes.
In any case typing 192.168.1.254/mdc should give you access to all
functions. If you have not set a password then the default is 2wire.

Peter Crosland

Old October 5th 10, 12:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

Another Dave considered Mon, 04 Oct 2010
09:22:39 +0100 the perfect time to write:

I've just bought one of these for 1.50. I got it working perfectly on a
non-BT ISP very quickly and I'm very pleased with it.

When I set it up I used 192.168.1.254 to access the set-up menu via a
wired Ethernet connection, although I'm now accessing the internet
wirelessly via the WAP (Fusion) connection.

I'd like to monitor the sync speed I'm getting wirelessly but I can't
seem to access the modem's internal pages this way.

Is it using a different IP address for Fusion connections and, if so,
what is it? Am I missing something?

It's running version 5.29 software.

I would certainly hope that any attempt to access the management pages
from the wireless interface would fail - it would be a massive
security failing if it didn't.

Invest in a Cat5 cable if you want/need to monitor it.
Old October 5th 10, 07:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Chapman

Phil W Lee said the following on Tue, 5 Oct 2010 at 00:36:34

I would certainly hope that any attempt to access the management pages
from the wireless interface would fail - it would be a massive
security failing if it didn't.

Then it's a massive security failing on an awful lot of routers!

--
Peter
Old October 5th 10, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob L

wrote:

I've just bought one of these for 1.50. I got it working perfectly on a
non-BT ISP very quickly and I'm very pleased with it.

When I set it up I used 192.168.1.254 to access the set-up menu via a
wired Ethernet connection, although I'm now accessing the internet
wirelessly via the WAP (Fusion) connection.

I'd like to monitor the sync speed I'm getting wirelessly but I can't
seem to access the modem's internal pages this way.

Is it using a different IP address for Fusion connections and, if so,
what is it? Am I missing something?

It's running version 5.29 software.

Another Dave

Beware of it automatically updating the firmware in the unit, it will
probaly at some time contact the appropriate servers and update
without your permission. You will then lose a way of changing the
wireless power and access to some settings.

Have a look here for info
http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm

Old October 5th 10, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Comtroll

wrote:

[...]

I see. So this router that Peter Crossland recommends not only is short
on features, but also contains a back door to destroy its own firmware?
Very good. {CLAPS SARCASTICALLY}