Odd dial tone

Old October 5th 10, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
news.eternal-september.org

Default Odd dial tone

A colleague's BT broadband line has recently acquired a strange dial tone
which I'm not sure about - it's not a 1571-type "you have a message" thing,
although it is two-tone.

Any ideas of obvious things I might be able to try? I've checked at it
appears that there are filters on all the faceplates, and the connection
seems stable, albeit a little slow (he's out in the countryside, so no
surprise there).

Many thanks

Old October 5th 10, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DC

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 11:53:01 +0100, "news.eternal-september.org"
wrote:

A colleague's BT broadband line has recently acquired a strange dial tone
which I'm not sure about - it's not a 1571-type "you have a message" thing,
although it is two-tone.

Any ideas of obvious things I might be able to try? I've checked at it
appears that there are filters on all the faceplates, and the connection
seems stable, albeit a little slow (he's out in the countryside, so no
surprise there).

Many thanks

Try dialling 17070. Option 2.
--
The End
Old October 5th 10, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wibble

"news.eternal-september.org" wrote in message
A colleague's BT broadband line has recently acquired a strange dial tone
which I'm not sure about - it's not a 1571-type "you have a message" thing,
although it is two-tone.

Any ideas of obvious things I might be able to try? I've checked at it
appears that there are filters on all the faceplates, and the connection
seems stable, albeit a little slow (he's out in the countryside, so no
surprise there).

Many thanks

Well has he dialled 1571?

Old October 5th 10, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DC

wrote:

A colleague's BT broadband line has recently acquired a strange dial tone
which I'm not sure about - it's not a 1571-type "you have a message" thing,
although it is two-tone.

Any ideas of obvious things I might be able to try? I've checked at it
appears that there are filters on all the faceplates, and the connection
seems stable, albeit a little slow (he's out in the countryside, so no
surprise there).

Many thanks

Try dialling 17070. Option 2.

Oops! sorry - and do the other bits mentioned he

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabli...n-my-line.html

--
The End
Old October 7th 10, 09:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

news.eternal-september.org formulated on Tuesday :
A colleague's BT broadband line has recently acquired a strange dial tone
which I'm not sure about - it's not a 1571-type "you have a message" thing,
although it is two-tone.

Any ideas of obvious things I might be able to try? I've checked at it
appears that there are filters on all the faceplates, and the connection
seems stable, albeit a little slow (he's out in the countryside, so no
surprise there).

Many thanks

An active call diversion produces the broken dial tone (broken as in
gaps), as does a message waiting.

Old October 7th 10, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
news.eternal-september.org

Thanks for the suggestion, although it's not a call diversion - the sound of
the dial tone isn't broken, rather two-toned.

I'll check again, though!

Cheers

. ..

Old October 7th 10, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paulg0

"news.eternal-september.org" wrote in message
Thanks for the suggestion, although it's not a call diversion - the sound
of the dial tone isn't broken, rather two-toned.

I'll check again, though!

Cheers

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
news.eternal-september.org formulated on Tuesday :
A colleague's BT broadband line has recently acquired a strange dial
tone which I'm not sure about - it's not a 1571-type "you have a
message" thing, although it is two-tone.

Any ideas of obvious things I might be able to try? I've checked at it
appears that there are filters on all the faceplates, and the connection
seems stable, albeit a little slow (he's out in the countryside, so no
surprise there).

Many thanks

An active call diversion produces the broken dial tone (broken as in
gaps), as does a message waiting.

Sounds like you mean this one: http://www.tones.plus.com/sounds/olo/T3.wav
which is used on System Y exchanges to show call diversion is active and
also 1571 messages waiting i think

Paul

Old October 7th 10, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DC

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 18:53:12 +0100, "Paulg0"
wrote:

"news.eternal-september.org" wrote in message
Thanks for the suggestion, although it's not a call diversion - the sound
of the dial tone isn't broken, rather two-toned.

I'll check again, though!

Cheers

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
news.eternal-september.org formulated on Tuesday :
A colleague's BT broadband line has recently acquired a strange dial
tone which I'm not sure about - it's not a 1571-type "you have a
message" thing, although it is two-tone.

Any ideas of obvious things I might be able to try? I've checked at it
appears that there are filters on all the faceplates, and the connection
seems stable, albeit a little slow (he's out in the countryside, so no
surprise there).

Many thanks

An active call diversion produces the broken dial tone (broken as in
gaps), as does a message waiting.

Sounds like you mean this one: http://www.tones.plus.com/sounds/olo/T3.wav
which is used on System Y exchanges to show call diversion is active and
also 1571 messages waiting i think

Paul

Or this

http://www.tones.plus.com/sounds/menagerie/CRACKLE3.WAV