Tiscali email problems

Old October 9th 10, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

Default Tiscali email problems

There is no relevant service status information available on the Tiscali
webpage but observed problems and a call to the Tiscali premium rate support
line confirms the following:

Email sent to Tiscali email accounts have a high chance of being
undeliverable - either undeliverable errors or entry in to a blackhole.

There is, apparently, a major technical problem consequent upon upgrade
work. The problem is not expected to be fixed until 14 October.

I wondered why I was receiving no spam at all - and very few genuine emails.

It is scandalous. Not only is there no public facing status information on
their webpage but this major outage is not going to be fixed for days.

Old October 9th 10, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 09/10/2010 21:52, Gareth wrote:
There is no relevant service status information available on the Tiscali
webpage but observed problems and a call to the Tiscali premium rate
support line confirms the following:

Email sent to Tiscali email accounts have a high chance of being
undeliverable - either undeliverable errors or entry in to a blackhole.

There is, apparently, a major technical problem consequent upon upgrade
work. The problem is not expected to be fixed until 14 October.

I wondered why I was receiving no spam at all - and very few genuine
emails.

It is scandalous. Not only is there no public facing status information
on their webpage but this major outage is not going to be fixed for days.

Probably yet another glitch discovered by Craphone Whorehouse subsequent
to their buyout of Tiscali?
The recent BBC Watchdog programme highlighted a major problem with
regard to the continued billing of customers who had switched away from
Tiscali to other ISPs and yet were still being chased for payments by CW.
The CW rep who appeared on the programme said that the problem was that
Tiscali's systems were based in Sicily (Mafia HQ!) and that they were
having great difficulty sorting things out, even though they knew there
was a problem.
I'm betting that the directors of CW are wishing they never made the
decision to buy Tiscali!

If it were me, I'd migrate somewhere else.
But there again, if you did, they'd probably continue to bill you and
then send in the debt collectors...
:-(

George
Old October 10th 10, 03:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bod43

On 9 Oct, 22:08, George Weston wrote:
On 09/10/2010 21:52, Gareth wrote:

Email sent to Tiscali email accounts have a high chance of being
undeliverable - either undeliverable errors or entry in to a blackhole.

I believe that Vodafone apparently simply dumped (well
they did let the users know in advance) all vodafone.net
email accounts recently. No subsequent mail forwarding
or anything.

Using your ISP for mail is in my view not a good plan.
The ideal is to have you own domain and then you can
always switch to any mail provider of your choice
if one particular supplier has problems.

gmail seems to suit me - yes I know they "read" my mails.

If it were me, I'd migrate somewhere else.
But there again, if you did, they'd probably continue to bill you and
then send in the debt collectors...

At least with Carphone Warehouse you are not apparently
at risk from the claimed-copyright-infringement scam letters.
Old October 10th 10, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

"bod43" wrote in message
On 9 Oct, 22:08, George Weston wrote:
On 09/10/2010 21:52, Gareth wrote:

Email sent to Tiscali email accounts have a high chance of being
undeliverable - either undeliverable errors or entry in to a blackhole.

I believe that Vodafone apparently simply dumped (well
they did let the users know in advance) all vodafone.net
email accounts recently. No subsequent mail forwarding
or anything.

Using your ISP for mail is in my view not a good plan.
The ideal is to have you own domain and then you can
always switch to any mail provider of your choice
if one particular supplier has problems.

I agree but this is not easy for the average user to set up.

What is shocking about this current problem with Tiscali is that, for the
most part, their technical support service in India are unaware of it. It
must be impacting thousands of people and emails are simply being lost
(occasionally returned as underliverable).

Old October 10th 10, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 08:51:53 +0100, "Gareth"
wrote:

What is shocking about this current problem with Tiscali is that, for the
most part, their technical support service in India are unaware of it. It
must be impacting thousands of people and emails are simply being lost
(occasionally returned as underliverable).

Looking up the MX record for tiscali.co.uk gives:

tiscali.co.uk. 900 IN MX 10 mxgb1.opaltelecom.net.

That's it. One record; no backup. I would expect all ISPs to
have a minimum of two servers listed.

As a side issue, what is the connection between Tiscali and
Opal? Does one own the other? Or is it a matter of out-sourcing?
--
Roger
Old October 10th 10, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

wrote:

What is shocking about this current problem with Tiscali is that, for the
most part, their technical support service in India are unaware of it. It
must be impacting thousands of people and emails are simply being lost
(occasionally returned as underliverable).

Looking up the MX record for tiscali.co.uk gives:

tiscali.co.uk. 900 IN MX 10 mxgb1.opaltelecom.net.

That's it. One record; no backup. I would expect all ISPs to
have a minimum of two servers listed.

As a side issue, what is the connection between Tiscali and
Opal? Does one own the other? Or is it a matter of out-sourcing?

from Opal's website:
"We are the dedicated business to business division of the TalkTalk Group"
Talk Talk is owned by Craphone Whorehouse, who also bought out the UK
operations of Tiscali and are trying - pretty unsuccessfully, it would
seem - to fully integrate their ex-Tiscali customers into the Talk Talk
network.

Old October 11th 10, 08:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger

wrote:

As a side issue, what is the connection between Tiscali and
Opal? Does one own the other? Or is it a matter of out-sourcing?

from Opal's website:
"We are the dedicated business to business division of the TalkTalk Group"
Talk Talk is owned by Craphone Whorehouse, who also bought out the UK
operations of Tiscali and are trying - pretty unsuccessfully, it would
seem - to fully integrate their ex-Tiscali customers into the Talk Talk
network.

Thank you for that. But I'm not sure how to pronounce
"Craphone"; Cra-phone seems daft so perhaps it's Crap-hone.
Perhaps you should add more pee!

Whilst on the subject of pronunciation I can't decide between
Travel-odge or Trave-lodge. Oh! what the 'ell.
--
Roger
Old October 11th 10, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

wrote:

What is shocking about this current problem with Tiscali is that, for the
most part, their technical support service in India are unaware of it. It
must be impacting thousands of people and emails are simply being lost
(occasionally returned as underliverable).

Looking up the MX record for tiscali.co.uk gives:

tiscali.co.uk. 900 IN MX 10 mxgb1.opaltelecom.net.

That's it. One record; no backup. I would expect all ISPs to
have a minimum of two servers listed.

Wow. That's crazy. Surely not? Just one server?! That would explain why mail
is underliverable/not sent/not received/lost/bounced.

But it doesn't explain why the useless company is unable to provide
intelligent advice and support - even through a premium rate telephone
number.

Old October 11th 10, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

wrote:

What is shocking about this current problem with Tiscali is that, for
the
most part, their technical support service in India are unaware of
it. It
must be impacting thousands of people and emails are simply being lost
(occasionally returned as underliverable).

Looking up the MX record for tiscali.co.uk gives:

tiscali.co.uk. 900 IN MX 10 mxgb1.opaltelecom.net.

That's it. One record; no backup. I would expect all ISPs to
have a minimum of two servers listed.

Wow. That's crazy. Surely not? Just one server?! That would explain why
mail is underliverable/not sent/not received/lost/bounced.

But it doesn't explain why the useless company is unable to provide
intelligent advice and support - even through a premium rate telephone
number.

Maybe because they're cheap as chips?
The Ryanair of ISPs?
;-)

George
Old October 12th 10, 03:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

In article , George Weston
writes

Maybe because they're cheap as chips?
The Ryanair of ISPs?

) Not an unfair comment, but like Ryanair, it mostly works.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)