IDNET outage

Old October 11th 10, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Default IDNET outage

From their network status pages..order is newest first..

Announcement 2010-10-11 08:10 -
BT have admitted that someone removed the configuration for our circuits
yesterday. We and demanded that they investigate why this happened, what
safeguards will now be put in place to ensure that it can't happen again
and why it took them so long to resolve the issue.

Announcement 2010-10-11 01:46 -
Service has now been restored. We are demanding a full explanation from BT.

Announcement 2010-10-10 23:59 -
BT confirm both circuits tested OK. They are now diagnosing their
internal network routing.

Announcement 2010-10-10 22:18 -
BT now have engineers onsite in the Exchange diagnosing the problem.

Announcement 2010-10-10 20:21 -
Both our Primary and Backup Broadband links into BT are currently down.
BT are aware of the failure and are investigating. We do not as yet have
a time estimate from them for a fix. We will provide an update as soon
as we get one.

Anyone got any comments to make on WTF BT were up to, and why?
Old October 11th 10, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Zahut

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
From their network status pages..order is newest first..

[...]

Just a general observation as an ex-BT cable jointer (17 years service),
still meeting the lads I used to work with (all with 25 years plus), for a
beer now and then - basically the job and the company have gone to ****.
Impossible targets coming from on high; bosses who know nothing of the job
(long since gone are the days of bosses who worked their way up the
engineering tree) but insist that you do something - even when (and why) it
won't work or can't be done.

One particular mate of mine with 31 years service (don't know what they're
called now but in my day he was a "subs app and lineman") is a shining
example - his Level 1 boss used to be a storeman and his Level 2 boss is a
woman who used to be an Admin Assistant in the post room at a branch of the
Benefits Agency. Their management skills are nil and their knowledge of
telecoms engineering even less. My mate has forgotten more about the job
than they'll ever know but this is BT in the 21st century.

Old October 11th 10, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Pete Zahut wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
From their network status pages..order is newest first..

[...]

Is this openreach? Or BT the overall company..

Impossible targets coming from on high; bosses who know nothing of the job
(long since gone are the days of bosses who worked their way up the
engineering tree) but insist that you do something - even when (and why) it
won't work or can't be done.

One particular mate of mine with 31 years service (don't know what they're
called now but in my day he was a "subs app and lineman") is a shining
example - his Level 1 boss used to be a storeman and his Level 2 boss is a
woman who used to be an Admin Assistant in the post room at a branch of the
Benefits Agency. Their management skills are nil and their knowledge of
telecoms engineering even less. My mate has forgotten more about the job
than they'll ever know but this is BT in the 21st century.

Yup.

I hear similar things from many large companies.

Old October 11th 10, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Zahut

Pete Zahut wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
From their network status pages..order is newest first..

[...]

The lads I used to work with are Openreach but I've got friends in other
parts of the business and the story is always the same so it looks like
company-wide ****. Oh, and I forgot to mention below - my mate's Level 1
boss who was a storeman, that was at a car-parts company

Old October 11th 10, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Comtroll

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 13:09:29 +0100, Pete Zahut wrote:

Just a general observation as an ex-BT cable jointer (17 years service),
still meeting the lads I used to work with (all with 25 years plus), for
a beer now and then - basically the job and the company have gone to
****.

Bull****. After years of sitting around on their arses for most of their
36.5 hour weeks, they been asked to stop ****ing around and work for a
living. If ever a company needed to set targets and fit trackers BT
Openreach was a prime example of a need that should be marked 'Urgent'.
Time to sack alot of these lazy, idol *******s.

--
BT Openreach Engineers - all they need to supply for work is their own
socks and pants
Old October 11th 10, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rusty Lady

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:21:49 +0100, The Natural Philosopher scribe:

From their network status pages..order is newest first..

Announcement 2010-10-11 08:10 -

...what safeguards will now be put
in place to ensure that it can't happen again and why it took them so
long to resolve the issue.

Why it took them so long? Probably because they work by IDNET metrics?
For me that was 26 days out of 30 with degraded service and yet Simon
Davies, the director, never once ****ing apologised or explained why they
were giving such **** service.

Old October 11th 10, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Rusty Lady wrote:
On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:21:49 +0100, The Natural Philosopher scribe:

From their network status pages..order is newest first..

Announcement 2010-10-11 08:10 -

...what safeguards will now be put
in place to ensure that it can't happen again and why it took them so
long to resolve the issue.

Why it took them so long? Probably because they work by IDNET metrics?
For me that was 26 days out of 30 with degraded service and yet Simon
Davies, the director, never once ****ing apologised or explained why they
were giving such **** service.

Yawn. He did actually.

It was a BT issue and beyond their control.

I hope IDNET claim back some cash from BT, and give it to their customers..

Old October 11th 10, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rusty Lady

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 15:19:06 +0100, The Natural Philosopher scribe:

Why it took them so long? Probably because they work by IDNET metrics?
For me that was 26 days out of 30 with degraded service and yet Simon
Davies, the director, never once ****ing apologised or explained why
they were giving such **** service.

Yawn. He did actually.

It was a BT issue and beyond their control.

Yeah, ********. I'm surprised any of the dip****s at IDNET noticed it,
given the lazy ******s don't know what it is to work a weekend.

Face it dude, they are lame ISP. Can't even keep the basics working. I
don't think the monkeys at TalkTalk are as bad as those IDNET ****ers.
Still, whatever floats your boat.

Old October 11th 10, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Rusty Lady wrote:
On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 15:19:06 +0100, The Natural Philosopher scribe:

Why it took them so long? Probably because they work by IDNET metrics?
For me that was 26 days out of 30 with degraded service and yet Simon
Davies, the director, never once ****ing apologised or explained why
they were giving such **** service.

Yawn. He did actually.

It was a BT issue and beyond their control.

Yeah, ********. I'm surprised any of the dip****s at IDNET noticed it,
given the lazy ******s don't know what it is to work a weekend.

Face it dude, they are lame ISP. Can't even keep the basics working. I
don't think the monkeys at TalkTalk are as bad as those IDNET ****ers.

I am beginning to see why they decided they didn't want you as a customer.

Frankly, nor would I.

I wish your current ISP well.

Still, whatever floats your boat.

Water, generally.

Old October 11th 10, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rusty Lady

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 15:31:49 +0100, The Natural Philosopher scribe:

I am beginning to see why they decided they didn't want you as a
customer.

The only system that seems to half work at IDNET is their inovice system,
and that runs a month in advice. Second only to their RSS feeds with
'attitude'. Things like "Oh, by the way, all the **** was down five days
ago - sorry I didn't tell you then"

Here is a fine example from today:

Status Notification: Announcement - 10 October 2010 20:20:55
Message: BT Wholesale Planned Engineering Works Notification

Planned duration details:

Planned start: 29/09/2010 23:00

Planned finish: 30/09/2010 07:00

The Planned Engineering Work is required on the Broadband Nodes within
the LONDON FARADAY BUILDINGS region that support EU's nationwide for
completion of Hardware Upgrade. There will be One service outage to End-
Users of approximately 360 minutes within this period. This outage will
occur during the outage window of 00:00:01 - 07:00:00 within this PEW
Window.

Still, clearly you are happy with second rate and overpriced. Enjoy......