Mobile Broadband Dongles Leak Data

Old October 14th 10, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

Default Mobile Broadband Dongles Leak Data

I wondered why my Three mobile dongle was leaking data. I'd already
nailed that issue with my (no longer used) Three S2 phone. With the
latter it was the damned RSS feeds that had been set up as a default.
I quickly turned those off. There was still some leakage and I found
that this was due to the Facebook app. - again logging out of that
cured the leakage. So I was a little surprised to see my dongle
allowance gradually decreasing too. Checking using a data 'Speed
Graph' there was certainly some data upload / download activity even
if I was not browsing the web. And I wasn't seeding or snatching
anything using something like uTorrent. Then someone suggested that it
might be a RSS feed or more to do with Windows Live. So I started up
Windows Live Mail. And opening this up there they all were - RSS feeds
from the NHS, Microsoft (predictably), and some news service. And even
though I do do use Windows Live (well only the Movie Maker app.) these
damned feeds had been soaking up my data allowance. They have now ALL
been deleted. The netbook and dongle is still leaking data - mainly
uploads for some reason - but its not as bad as it was. I guess its
not only Three's dongles that leak, other telcos dongles must have the
same defaults of allowing RSS feeds etc. Take care - CJB.
Old October 14th 10, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"CJB" wrote in message ...
[...]

Download Wireshark and get a packet by packet account of what is really
happening to your "idle" connection. It might interest you. It will certainly make
you more paranoid than you are now ;-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old October 15th 10, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

CJB wrote:
The netbook and dongle is still leaking data - mainly uploads for some
reason - but its not as bad as it was. I guess its not only Three's
dongles that leak, other telcos dongles must have the same defaults of
allowing RSS feeds etc. Take care - CJB.

It's not really the dongle's fault for leaking data... it's Windows and your
applications that do it. A lot of apps aren't written on the understanding
that data is metered.

Closing the connection while you aren't using the machine is a good
precaution.

Theo
Old October 15th 10, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

On Oct 15, 12:15*am, Theo Markettos theom
wrote:
CJB wrote:
The netbook and dongle is still leaking data - mainly uploads for some
reason - but its not as bad as it was. I guess its not only Three's
dongles that leak, other telcos dongles must have the same defaults of
allowing RSS feeds etc. Take care - CJB.

It's not really the dongle's fault for leaking data... it's Windows and your
applications that do it. *A lot of apps aren't written on the understanding
that data is metered.

Closing the connection while you aren't using the machine is a good
precaution.

Theo

Thanks guys for the responses. With a dongle I do close the connection
when not using it. However it is the unknown traffic that takes places
during a live connection that I am concerned about - well its seems to
have gone down with the closing of the default RSS feeds. I've ditched
McAfee and Norton long ago, but MS Windows 7 and MS Essentials both
download updates without my knowledge and permission, as does Adobe. I
wish they'd ask so that when I'm using the dongle I can say 'no', and
then do the updates by choice when I'm in Pret or McDs. Some of the
Windows updates are quite large, I had one at 250Mb once which soaked
up a very large proportion of my monthly 5Gb allowance. CJB.
Old October 15th 10, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

On Oct 14, 10:07*pm, "Graham." wrote:
"CJB" wrote in ...
[...]

Thank you for that tip. Chris B.
Old October 15th 10, 02:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Graham. wrote:
Download Wireshark and get a packet by packet account of what is really
happening to your "idle" connection. It might interest you. It will
certainly make you more paranoid than you are now ;-)

Another option might be to set all the apps to 'ask' in the software
firewall, then see what asks for net access.

Theo
Old October 15th 10, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Champ

On 15/10/2010 12:06, CJB wrote:

Thanks guys for the responses. With a dongle I do close the connection
when not using it. However it is the unknown traffic that takes places
during a live connection that I am concerned about - well its seems to
have gone down with the closing of the default RSS feeds. I've ditched
McAfee and Norton long ago, but MS Windows 7 and MS Essentials both
download updates without my knowledge and permission, as does Adobe. I
wish they'd ask so that when I'm using the dongle I can say 'no', and
then do the updates by choice when I'm in Pret or McDs. Some of the
Windows updates are quite large, I had one at 250Mb once which soaked
up a very large proportion of my monthly 5Gb allowance. CJB.

Check your windows update settings. I have

"Automatic Updates: Turned ON.
Your computer is set to receive notifications when new updates are
Available."

You probably want them OFF.

Andy.