Broadband Blip Logic

Old October 15th 10, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnA

Default Broadband Blip Logic

Does anyone know what the precise algorithm is behind "Blip Logic"?

I need to repeatedly power down my router/modem and want to avoid
reclassification of the reconnect SNR margin.

Does reclassification depend upon interval between blips, rate of blipping
over a defined period, or what?

TIA

JohnA

Old October 15th 10, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"JohnA" [email protected] wrote in message
o.uk...
Does anyone know what the precise algorithm is behind "Blip Logic"?

I need to repeatedly power down my router/modem and want to avoid
reclassification of the reconnect SNR margin.

Does reclassification depend upon interval between blips, rate of blipping
over a defined period, or what?

AFAIK the logic is intended to deal with isolated incidents of dropping the
connection. It might be more constructive to look at the reason(s) you have
the requirement to repeatedly power the routers down.

Peter Crosland

Old October 15th 10, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 09:36:02 +0100, "JohnA" [email protected] wrote:

Does anyone know what the precise algorithm is behind "Blip Logic"?

Probably. But I doubt anyone here knows the exact algorithm.

I need to repeatedly power down my router/modem and want to avoid
reclassification of the reconnect SNR margin.

Does reclassification depend upon interval between blips, rate of blipping
over a defined period, or what?

Blip logic is about BRAS/IP profiles so I don't think this is what you
are meaning?

I have heard that 10 resyncs within an hour will force the DLM to
increase your target SNR margin. However this is not the only thing
that affects the target margin. The DLM continually monitors your
line and, if it thinks there are too many errors, it can increase the
target margin even if you have a stable connection.
--
(\__/) M.

Old October 15th 10, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Mark wrote:
On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 09:36:02 +0100, "JohnA" [email protected] wrote:

Does anyone know what the precise algorithm is behind "Blip Logic"?

Probably. But I doubt anyone here knows the exact algorithm.

I need to repeatedly power down my router/modem and want to avoid
reclassification of the reconnect SNR margin.

Does reclassification depend upon interval between blips, rate of blipping
over a defined period, or what?

Blip logic is about BRAS/IP profiles so I don't think this is what you
are meaning?

I have heard that 10 resyncs within an hour will force the DLM to
increase your target SNR margin. However this is not the only thing
that affects the target margin. The DLM continually monitors your
line and, if it thinks there are too many errors, it can increase the
target margin even if you have a stable connection.

yeah. BT have shagged my line again after I tried to overcome the great
BT backhaul cockup at IDNET.

"Ohh, rebooting to try and get a connection back? Naughty boy. Take +3db
noise margin and -500Kbps BRAS and stay in the corner until we know you
are a good little boy".

Faugh.!
Old October 16th 10, 01:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Windmill

Mark writes:

I have heard that 10 resyncs within an hour will force the DLM to
increase your target SNR margin. However this is not the only thing
that affects the target margin. The DLM continually monitors your
line and, if it thinks there are too many errors, it can increase the
target margin even if you have a stable connection.

Is this 'DLM' some sort of Data Line Monitor ?

I had been turning ADSL modem and computer on and off together fairly
frequently while getting things set up, and one day when I switched on
the modem took literally hours to sync.

Previously it used to take around a minute, and other modems of the
same type (DLink DSL320T) in other locations (i.e. on other lines)
still take a minute or less.

But with this line it now always takes hours.

I've complained, changed the modem for one which synced quickly
elsewhere, changed the microfilter, tried with all phones disconnected,
tried with the modem plugged into the test socket, but now it always
takes forever.

Almost sounds as though I'm being auto-punished for repeatedly turning
off the modem, or that it won't sync until someone/something in the
exchange notices a red light somewhere and hits 'reset'.

Other people reported on uk.telecom that quick sync was normal for them.

Does anyone here have suggestions? Plusnet's the ISP and the exchange
is a stone's throw away. (I could go over and argue, if I knew what to
say and if the doors weren't locked :-)

I am of course going to take this up repeatedly with Plusnet until it's
fixed.
And I won't need to switch on and off repeatedly now that it's all set
up.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
@ O n e t e l
Old October 16th 10, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnA

"Mark" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Thanks for that, Mark. It is the relationship between reconnect SNR, IP
Profile and error rates that I'm trying to get to grips with. The relevant
algoritms must be defined somewhere - but the only one I've seen in print is
the relationship between connect speed and IP Profile.

JohnA

Old October 16th 10, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kit

In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

yeah. BT have shagged my line again after I tried to overcome the great
BT backhaul cockup at IDNET.

"Ohh, rebooting to try and get a connection back? Naughty boy. Take +3db
noise margin and -500Kbps BRAS and stay in the corner until we know you
are a good little boy".

That happened to me on Sun/Mon as well. However, I got a -1,000 Kbps
BRAS as well as the +3dB noise margin.

Grrrr!!!
Old October 16th 10, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 16/10/2010 12:02, JohnA wrote:
wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Have a read of this:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/files/...nd-legends.pdf

George
Old October 16th 10, 02:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaius

The relevant algorithms ARE well defined and understood - within BT
Wholesale. And they aren't going to tell you anytime soon.

It's a symptom of a long established BT culture "We mustn't tell the
punters - think of all the hassle that would result if we did".

In the BT world, an ignorant customer is a happy customer.