Reccomendations for ISP

Old October 15th 10, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Lipscombe

Default Reccomendations for ISP

I am returning to the UK soon and will need to install telephone line
and business grade broadband with a static IP address.
I would prefer to bundle the line and broadband.

I have read good reports about Be and Zen here. Be seem sightly
preferable as they offer a static IP with their "pro" offering.

Any thoughts? Any others I should consider? BT business broadband?

Thanks - Adam
Old October 15th 10, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Adam Lipscombe wrote:
I am returning to the UK soon and will need to install telephone line
and business grade broadband with a static IP address.
I would prefer to bundle the line and broadband.

I have read good reports about Be and Zen here. Be seem sightly
preferable as they offer a static IP with their "pro" offering.

Any thoughts? Any others I should consider? BT business broadband?

Thanks - Adam

Almost anything that isn't advertised heavity, surrounded by opaque
bundling deals and is supported in the UK is OK.

As long as you pay a mild premium, the quality should be there.

My particular requirements led me to IDnet, YMMV.

Old October 15th 10, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Adam Lipscombe" wrote in message
I am returning to the UK soon and will need to install telephone line and
business grade broadband with a static IP address.
I would prefer to bundle the line and broadband.

I have read good reports about Be and Zen here. Be seem sightly preferable
as they offer a static IP with their "pro" offering.

Any thoughts? Any others I should consider? BT business broadband?

Zen routinely offer a static IP with all their services.

Andrews & Arnold are well spoken of here also.

Where do you expect to be located? If you have any control over this you
might consider somewhere that optical fibre is available ...

--
Graham J

Old October 15th 10, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 10:51:01 +0100, Adam Lipscombe wrote:

I am returning to the UK soon and will need to install telephone line
and business grade broadband with a static IP address. I would prefer to
bundle the line and broadband.

I have read good reports about Be and Zen here. Be seem sightly
preferable as they offer a static IP with their "pro" offering.

Any thoughts? Any others I should consider? BT business broadband?

AAISP - not as pricy as some would have you believe.

As many static IPs as you want at no extra cost.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old October 15th 10, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On 15 Oct 2010 13:42:08 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 10:51:01 +0100, Adam Lipscombe wrote:

I am returning to the UK soon and will need to install telephone line
and business grade broadband with a static IP address. I would prefer to
bundle the line and broadband.

I have read good reports about Be and Zen here. Be seem sightly
preferable as they offer a static IP with their "pro" offering.

Any thoughts? Any others I should consider? BT business broadband?

AAISP - not as pricy as some would have you believe.

As many static IPs as you want at no extra cost.

There's plenty of decent ISPs around. I'd avoid the really big ones
like AOL and BT. I use PlusNet and my package includes a "free"
static IP address.
--
(\__/) M.

Old October 15th 10, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 15/10/2010 15:23, Mark wrote:
On 15 Oct 2010 13:42:08 GMT, Bob wrote:

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 10:51:01 +0100, Adam Lipscombe wrote:

I am returning to the UK soon and will need to install telephone line
and business grade broadband with a static IP address. I would prefer to
bundle the line and broadband.

I have read good reports about Be and Zen here. Be seem sightly
preferable as they offer a static IP with their "pro" offering.

Any thoughts? Any others I should consider? BT business broadband?

AAISP - not as pricy as some would have you believe.

As many static IPs as you want at no extra cost.

There's plenty of decent ISPs around. I'd avoid the really big ones
like AOL and BT. I use PlusNet and my package includes a "free"
static IP address.

So do I.
However, be warned that over the past year or two Plusnet have been
steadily reducing the content of their tariff packages. New customers
don't get any webspace, for instance.
Throttling - rate-limiting - is applied to all tariffs now, except for
the Pro package, which I'm on - solely for that reason, although it's
quite expensive and I don't use anywhere near the inclusive monthly
bandwidth allocation.
On the plus side, their customer service centre is based in Sheffield,
not Bangalore!

George
Old October 15th 10, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"George Weston" wrote in message
On 15/10/2010 15:23, Mark wrote:
[...]

Most of the points you make are no relevant to business customers.
Otherwise Plusnet are an excellent ISP and rather more reasonably priced
that the others. Avoid BT like the Black Death.

Peter Crosland

Old October 15th 10, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
o.uk...
"George Weston" wrote in message
On 15/10/2010 15:23, Mark wrote:
On 15 Oct 2010 13:42:08 GMT, Bob
wrote:

[...]

And despite what others may say on here, if you are in a cabled
area VirginMedia are actually pretty good. Their speed is
consistent, rarely have any loss of service and are, on balance,
good value for what you get.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps.html is a good place to have a
browse. Andrews and Arnold (aka AAISP,) as already noted, seem to
have a good reputation.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old October 15th 10, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Lipscombe

On 15/10/2010 19:54, Woody wrote:
"Peter wrote in message
o.uk...
"George wrote in message
On 15/10/2010 15:23, Mark wrote:
On 15 Oct 2010 13:42:08 GMT, Bob
wrote:

[...]

Sadly I will be in rural Cornwall, no cable for me :-(
I will try AAISP and see what they say.

Many thanks all.

adam

Old October 15th 10, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paulg0

On 15/10/2010 15:23, Mark wrote:
[...]

I use Bethere on my home connection and also a work connection. They are
very very good..... I have never had any problems and the speed is always
consistant:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/991972346.png
http://www.pingtest.net/result/26121266.png

Paul