Any suggestions to ease the wiring of an RJ45 plug?

Old October 17th 10, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Howard Neil

Default Any suggestions to ease the wiring of an RJ45 plug?

Yesterday I attached 2 RJ45 plugs to a new ethernet Cat5e extension I
had made.

I managed it and it works fine but it was a struggle to get all the
wires in the right order into the plug. When in, it was also difficult
to see if they were correct, in particular the white/colour ones. When I
crimped the plugs, I was not totally sure I had the wires in the order I
wanted and I feel I just got lucky.

Does anyone have any hints to make this part of the job more certain,
please? (for when I next do this).

--
Howard Neil

--
Howard Neil
Old October 17th 10, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 09:41:34 UTC, Howard Neil
wrote:

Yesterday I attached 2 RJ45 plugs to a new ethernet Cat5e extension I
had made.

I managed it and it works fine but it was a struggle to get all the
wires in the right order into the plug. When in, it was also difficult
to see if they were correct, in particular the white/colour ones. When I
crimped the plugs, I was not totally sure I had the wires in the order I
wanted and I feel I just got lucky.

I usually pinch the wires into a fan between thumb and forefinger.
That way they *usually* go in in the correct order. Before doing the
insertion I trim straight across the ends with a pair of side cutters
to make sure they are all the same length. Before crimping I use a
magnifier to 1) check they are still in the correct order and 2) to
ensure they are right to the end of the plug. Unfortunately you have
to crimp it to test :-( I picked up a CAT5 cable tester at the local
computer fair for a few quid - useful if you are going to be making up
several cables and to check suspect ones.

HTH

--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old October 17th 10, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Howard Neil

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply. That's what I did and, fortunately, it worked
first time. I am hoping that someone will have a bright idea to fix the
wires in the desired order before insertion.

--
Howard Neil
Old October 17th 10, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

wrote:

[...]

I agree 100% with that, in addition,(unless your fingers are particularly dainty)
trim the conductors level as above, but about 3mm longer than optimum, to help keep the wires in order
then carefully stretch the sheath using a good few feet of cable so the end is under the plastic sheath clamp
do this 1mm at a time pushing the plug fully home each time. Now apply the tool.

Most important. Most cable sold in bulk has solid copper conductors, this is totally incompatible with the "normal"
RJ45 plugs as the tiny IDC blade tends to cut, rather than connect to the wire. You can get special RJ45s that
do work on solid cable, but I for one have never handled one.
You can get suitable stranded patch-lead cable in bulk, but you need to be carful you actually get what you order.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old October 17th 10, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Howard Neil

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the pointer. The cable I bought from TLC seemed to be solid
so I will handle the plugs with care.

--
Howard Neil
Old October 17th 10, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

wrote:

[...]

Solid cable will fail (intermittently at first) if used for patch leads
where flexibility is required.

As a general rule, don't make up cables yourself unless you are prepared to
get some testgear to prove you've done it correctly. Buy the cables
ready-made - they're cheap enough. I accept that if you want to run the
cable through a small hole you might then need to crimp the connectors on
yourself.

A much better policy is to use solid cable and fit sockets to the wall. The
cable then doesn't need to move. Any holes you drill can be covered by the
back-boxes, and matching trunking can control the cable so you don't have to
have untidy bundles. You need a special punch tool to connect the solid
cable to the RJ45 sockets, but these are relatively cheap and the completed
assembly is easy enough to inspect with a good light and a magnifier. A
tester is still useful if you're doing lots - I've found the sockets
themselves have about a 0.1% failure rate when they're assembled into patch
panels - usually unsoldered joints in the socket assembly.

--
Graham J

Old October 17th 10, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

[...]

Make up a coloured drawing. Or photograph the wire fan and print it out.

That way you have a model to work from.

In addition a simple jig that can help cut wire to the exact length is
helpful.
Old October 17th 10, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
IanB

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 10:41:34 +0100, Howard Neil
wrote:

Does anyone have any hints to make this part of the job more certain,
please? (for when I next do this).

No one seems to have mentioned the "P" word yet - Practice.

Get a bag of cheap, but crappy, plugs (FleaBay is good for that), a
bit of cable and make up a few. It does get easier with practice.

Ian
--
The From address is valid
Old October 17th 10, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Solid cable will fail (intermittently at first) if used for patch leads where flexibility is required.

A few years ago I had to attend a training session with our company's network administrator
who showed us how to crimp plugs to cable.

When tested, the cables produced mostly didn't work, I pointed out that he was using solid cable
and he told me that all CAT5 was the same. I took a Stanley knife to a ready-made patch lead to prove my
point.

In the absence of a cable tester you can use the cable to link two ports of a switch together and watch the LEDs
come on with a flood of traffic. A gigabit switch will fully test the cable.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old October 17th 10, 04:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

On 17/10/10 12:51, Howard Neil wrote:

Thanks for the pointer. The cable I bought from TLC seemed to be solid
so I will handle the plugs with care.

Here's a diagram I made a long time ago (back in the surftime days)
showing the difference between "stranded" and "solid" cable in BT plugs
and sockets. It is equally true for RJ45 plugs and sockets.

http://www.sined.co.uk/olddemon/surftime/flex-wire.gif

Basically, the connectors for solid conductors do not make a good
connection with stranded conductors, and the connectors for stranded
conductors do not make a good connection with solid conductors.

These days I can usually buy RJ-45 to RJ-45 cable from e-bay cheaper
than I can make it myself, by the time I factor in travelling to the
shop to get the bits, and the time involved assembling it.

Rgds

Denis McMahon