Cannot ping remote PC

Old October 18th 10, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr. Benn

Default Cannot ping remote PC

I'm trying to set up VNC on a friend's PC so that I can remotely access it
from my computer. Unfortunately, I am unable to connect to her machine. On
both my router and my friend's router, ports 5800 and 5900 and been manually
unblocked (as recommended by the writers of TightVNC). Also, windows
firewall at both ends has been configured to allow VNC access through the
firewall. There are no other firewalls running. My friend's ISP is Virgin
Media (ADSL, not cable). My ISP is freedom2surf (Opal).

I tried to ping my friend's router IP address and this also failed. I'm
puzzled as this is something that I expected would work.

Any ideas anyone?

Old October 18th 10, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Mr. Benn wrote:

I'm trying to set up VNC on a friend's PC so that I can remotely access
it from my computer. Unfortunately, I am unable to connect to her
machine.

Whenever I setup VNC for friends/family I use the listening client
method, so that

1) It's obvious to the other person I can't connect at will to their
computer, they must initiate the connection.

2) So long as their router/firewall allows outbound traffic, all the
configuration is done at my end.

I tried to ping my friend's router IP address and this also failed. I'm
puzzled as this is something that I expected would work.

I'm not particularly familiar with Virgin's setup, do they use NAT? If
so, then the listening client configuration should work for you too.

Old October 18th 10, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Smithy

Mr. Benn wrote:
I'm trying to set up VNC on a friend's PC so that I can remotely
access it from my computer. Unfortunately, I am unable to connect to
her machine. On both my router and my friend's router, ports 5800
and 5900 and been manually unblocked (as recommended by the writers
of TightVNC). Also, windows firewall at both ends has been
configured to allow VNC access through the firewall. There are no
other firewalls running. My friend's ISP is Virgin Media (ADSL, not
cable). My ISP is freedom2surf (Opal).
I tried to ping my friend's router IP address and this also failed. I'm
puzzled as this is something that I expected would work.

Any ideas anyone?

Forget VNC and use TeamViewer http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

It's free for personal use, works behind NAT, doesn't need any port
forwarding setting up - it just works and it's brilliant.

Old October 18th 10, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr. Benn

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Mr. Benn wrote:

I'm trying to set up VNC on a friend's PC so that I can remotely access
it from my computer. Unfortunately, I am unable to connect to her
machine.

Whenever I setup VNC for friends/family I use the listening client method,
so that

1) It's obvious to the other person I can't connect at will to their
computer, they must initiate the connection.

2) So long as their router/firewall allows outbound traffic, all the
configuration is done at my end.

I tried to ping my friend's router IP address and this also failed. I'm
puzzled as this is something that I expected would work.

I'm not particularly familiar with Virgin's setup, do they use NAT? If
so, then the listening client configuration should work for you too.

I'll check again to see whether I set up a listening client on my friend's
PC (I think it was just called VNC Server (application mode, and not service
mode) so that she will have to instigate the connection.

I don't know if Virgin Media use NAT. I'm wondering if they block any
ports.

Old October 18th 10, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Mr. Benn wrote:

I'll check again to see whether I set up a listening client on my
friend's PC (I think it was just called VNC Server (application mode,
and not service mode) so that she will have to instigate the connection.

You start the listening client on your PC, their PC remains the server.
If they have the VNC icon in the system tray, they should have an option
to add a client, they just enter your IP address (and port if using
non-standard numbers) then the connection is established but you control
their PC, it's easier for you to manage your firewall then talk them
through configuring theirs.

I don't know if Virgin Media use NAT. I'm wondering if they block any
ports.

Possible.

Old October 18th 10, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr. Benn

"Smithy" wrote in message
Mr. Benn wrote:
I'm trying to set up VNC on a friend's PC so that I can remotely
access it from my computer. Unfortunately, I am unable to connect to
her machine. On both my router and my friend's router, ports 5800
and 5900 and been manually unblocked (as recommended by the writers
of TightVNC). Also, windows firewall at both ends has been
configured to allow VNC access through the firewall. There are no
other firewalls running. My friend's ISP is Virgin Media (ADSL, not
cable). My ISP is freedom2surf (Opal).
I tried to ping my friend's router IP address and this also failed. I'm
puzzled as this is something that I expected would work.

Any ideas anyone?

Forget VNC and use TeamViewer http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

It's free for personal use, works behind NAT, doesn't need any port
forwarding setting up - it just works and it's brilliant.

Thanks for that suggestion Smithy. I will give TeamViewer a try and see if
I can get that to work.

Old October 18th 10, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Mr. Benn" wrote in message
I'm trying to set up VNC on a friend's PC so that I can remotely access it
from my computer. Unfortunately, I am unable to connect to her machine.
On both my router and my friend's router, ports 5800 and 5900 and been
manually unblocked (as recommended by the writers of TightVNC). Also,
windows firewall at both ends has been configured to allow VNC access
through the firewall. There are no other firewalls running. My friend's
ISP is Virgin Media (ADSL, not cable). My ISP is freedom2surf (Opal).

I tried to ping my friend's router IP address and this also failed. I'm
puzzled as this is something that I expected would work.

Any ideas anyone?

Lots of things to worry about he

1) Your friend's router - does it get a static or dynamic IP address from
her ISP? If static you need to know what it is. If dynamic, you need to
find out what it is at the moment you need to make the connection. She can
tell you it by looking at her router's management page; but if she can do
that she probably doesn't need the sort of help for which you propose using
VNC. So you need to configure her router with a Dynamic DNS account so that
it can maintain a URL that points to the external IP address of the router.
Some routers don't have this facility.

2) The router may have a managment setting that controls whether it responds
to pings from the internet. It may also have settings to control who on the
internet may be able to ping it. So from your point of view it might be
very useful to have a static IP address for yourself. If you tell us the
make and model of her router we can perhaps advise.

3) Either your ISP or hers might block ping traffic. Depending on the
router you might be able to test the connection by using some other
protocol - telnet, for example. But you would then need to explicitly
configure the router to receive such traffic. Point 2 above covers this.

4) You need to establish the IP address of her computer on the local
network, and ensure that it remains the same. Either make it static, or
configure the router to reserve a specific IP address for her machine, by
binding it to the machine's MAC address.

5) On her router, you need to arrange a mapping so that port 5900 (which I
think is all that is necessary for VNC) is mapped through to the IP address
of her computer. That way traffic from the internet is allowed through her
router and delivered to her computer. (This is a problem if she has more
than one computer!) There is no need whatever to do anything with your own
router or Windows firewall, because you are initiating all the traffic.

6) VNC will work on any flavour of Windows up to XP Professional. You have
to open the computer's firewall to incoming VNC traffic.

7) VNC can be made to work after a fashion on all flavours of Vista. It
will only operate in "User mode"; so the user must explicitly start the VNC
service every time she logs on. This is OK for your friend (as you've
discussed elsewhere) but impossible for other circumstances where you
require remote access to an unattended machine, or to a machine used by
somebody needing training at a more elementary level.

8) UltraVNC can be made to work on all flavours of Windows 7. The installer
will open the necessary ports in the windows firewall so you don't have to
bother. I think UltraVNC will work on Vista.

If you need this help, are you really the right person to help your friend?

--
Graham J

Old October 18th 10, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Graham J wrote:

If you need this help, are you really the right person to help your friend?

That's a bit harsh, we all get "puzzlers" once in a while where we think
we've set everything when trying to get two remote systems to talk to
each other, but the systems have different ideas about it ...

Old October 18th 10, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Mr. Benn
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Any ideas anyone?

Idea #1 would be, use Logmein or similar instead.

Idea #2, NAT the VNC port to her machine, because unless she's got a public
IP address on her PC or you've got a VPN to her, it's not going to work.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:25:26 up 12 days, 22:57, 5 users, load average: 0.06, 0.07, 0.09

Old October 18th 10, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paulg0

"alexd" wrote in message
Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Mr.
Benn
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Any ideas anyone?

Idea #1 would be, use Logmein or similar instead.

Idea #2, NAT the VNC port to her machine, because unless she's got a
public
IP address on her PC or you've got a VPN to her, it's not going to work.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:25:26 up 12 days, 22:57, 5 users, load average: 0.06, 0.07, 0.09
-- Andrew Crossley, ACS:Law, 13 August 2010

Use the free version of logmein ( www.logmein.com ) instead

Paul