slow broadband

Old October 22nd 10, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tg

Default slow broadband

I visit peoples homes in my job and I've noticed lately people have adsl
broadband that is hopeless, with the 'hopeless' factor occurring a lot more
than it used to.
Speedtest.net often shows downloads between 0.2Mbps and 0.40Mbps and that's
from the master socket under ideal conditions testing on two different pc's.
This makes me suspicious that some thing might be going on with the major
isp's that they're not talking about. I heard a rumour that talktalk were
undergoing 'changes' but then bombay support staff will say anything to get
rid of a soft customer. My own adsl broadband gives 4Mbps most of the time,
sometimes dips to 3Mbps during peak hours but it never goes that low. Can
anyone shed light?

Old October 22nd 10, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"tg" wrote in message
[...]

Many people bought the cheapest service from the most widely advertised
supplier. Unless they did so quite recently they may have bought a package
capped at 512 kbist/sec. If they switch off the router (or more likely USB
modem) every time they finish working with the computer then it's generally
accepted that the BT system will reduce their BRAS profile to virtually
zero.

To say nothing of the fact that the bandwith might be sapped by spam bots or
P2P file sharing.

--
Graham J

Old October 22nd 10, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaius

In article , [email protected]
says...
If they switch off the router (or more likely USB
modem) every time they finish working with the computer then it's generally
accepted that the BT system will reduce their BRAS profile to virtually
zero.

Generally accepted ? By who, tell us ?

Unless they repeatedly switch the thing off and on over a short period
(6 breaks in any hour AFAIR), the BRAS profile will be unaffected. I
assume you were referring to the target SNR, of course.

It's probably a good idea to leave the modem/router running 24/7, but
there isn't any major problem caused by not doing so.
Old October 22nd 10, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Gaius" wrote in message
In article , [email protected]
says...
If they switch off the router (or more likely USB
modem) every time they finish working with the computer then it's
generally
accepted that the BT system will reduce their BRAS profile to virtually
zero.

Generally accepted ? By who, tell us ?

It certainly seems to be the view of most contributors to this NG - hence my
rather hesitant statement ...

--
Graham J

Old October 22nd 10, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
IanB

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 17:23:31 +0100, "Graham J" [email protected] wrote:

"Gaius" wrote in message
. ..
In article , [email protected]
says...
If they switch off the router (or more likely USB
modem) every time they finish working with the computer then it's
generally
accepted that the BT system will reduce their BRAS profile to virtually
zero.

Generally accepted ? By who, tell us ?

It certainly seems to be the view of most contributors to this NG - hence my
rather hesitant statement ...

The reduction of the BRAS profile by turning off/on the router daily
_may_ occur if the line is subject to noise. The off/on cycles
provide more chances for the connection to occur at a time of high
noise levels resulting in a lower sync and therefore profile.

On a quiet line, or one that is not subject to random bursts of noise,
then each resync should result in a connection speed that in roughly
the same as the previous one, and the BRAS profile will not change
much.

I could turn my router on and off as often as I like (subject to the
12-per-hour restriction) and not see much change in sync or profile.
It is a 2700HGV though :-)

Ian
--
The From address is valid
Old October 23rd 10, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Windmill

IanB writes:

The reduction of the BRAS profile by turning off/on the router daily
_may_ occur if the line is subject to noise. The off/on cycles
provide more chances for the connection to occur at a time of high
noise levels resulting in a lower sync and therefore profile.
On a quiet line, or one that is not subject to random bursts of noise,
then each resync should result in a connection speed that in roughly
the same as the previous one, and the BRAS profile will not change
much.
I could turn my router on and off as often as I like (subject to the
12-per-hour restriction) and not see much change in sync or profile.
It is a 2700HGV though :-)

Over the last 2 years I've found the same using a DSL320T with 2
different ISPs at 2 different locations, and at first this was the case
at a third location (where I had to turn on and off a lot while getting
a Fit-PC configured to run Linux.)
But suddenly I began to have problems with very slow connect and slow
download speed.
I can't prove it, but I think it began *after* I had finished the
setting up, when I was no longer repeatedly turning the modem on and
off.

If noise is the problem, might I be able to see anything informative
about the noise level using a dual channel scope set to subtract the
stuff on one leg of the line from the other?
If so, what ought/ought not to be seen?

(The modem status info also reports SNR so maybe that would be
sufficient information, if I knew what it should say).

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
@ m i l l r t
Old October 24th 10, 12:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

In article , tg
writes

I visit peoples homes in my job and I've noticed lately people have adsl
broadband that is hopeless, with the 'hopeless' factor occurring a lot more
than it used to.

BT is in the throes of upgrading the telephone network to 21CN, so it's
inevitable that there will be teething problems. Search 21CN on
wikipedia.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Old October 24th 10, 02:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Freeman

"tg" wrote:

I visit peoples homes in my job and I've noticed lately people have
adsl broadband that is hopeless, with the 'hopeless' factor occurring
a lot more than it used to.
Speedtest.net often shows downloads between 0.2Mbps and 0.40Mbps and
that's from the master socket under ideal conditions testing on two
different pc's. This makes me suspicious that some thing might be
going on with the major isp's that they're not talking about.

I have noticed in recent weeks my connection has dropped from 2.6M bit
to about 1.7 Mbit, sometimes as low as 1 Mbit and never higher than 2
Mbit any more.

Then this week I received a letter from BT saying they had just
installed fibre optic cables locally and trying to tempt me away from my
ISP to subscribe to BT's new superfast 40 Mbit fibre optic broadband.
Coincidence?

Given that I know that most ADSL is capped at 2 Mbit download speeds at
the BT centrals for much of the day due to lack of bandwidth on the main
pipes, I think buying into a faster broadband would be a waste of time.
Even when I was getting 2.6Mbit connections, I could almost never get
more than 2Mbit throughput on big downloads, which is the only time a
high bandwidth is worth having in the first place.
Old October 24th 10, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Weston

In article , "Gordon Freeman" wrote:

I have noticed in recent weeks my connection has dropped from 2.6M bit
to about 1.7 Mbit, sometimes as low as 1 Mbit and never higher than 2
Mbit any more.

Then this week I received a letter from BT saying they had just
installed fibre optic cables locally and trying to tempt me away from my
ISP to subscribe to BT's new superfast 40 Mbit fibre optic broadband.
Coincidence?

Doubt it. You can get FTTC and other fibre connections from other ISPs
in areas suitably equipped. You are in no way limited to using the ISP
called BTinternet for fibre connections. Many other ISPs contract from
BTwholesale, as does BTinternet, for connectivity between their offices
and their customers. In this case, BTinternet are taking advantage of a
marketing opportunity brought about by FTTC just as are some other ISPs.

Given that I know that most ADSL is capped at 2 Mbit download speeds at
the BT centrals for much of the day due to lack of bandwidth on the main
pipes, I think buying into a faster broadband would be a waste of time.
Even when I was getting 2.6Mbit connections, I could almost never get
more than 2Mbit throughput on big downloads, which is the only time a
high bandwidth is worth having in the first place.

Where do you know this from? I've not seen this with installs around
here unless it's to an ISP having limited backhaul connectivity to BT or
they otherwise need to restrict throughput because they need to manage
their customers' usage to the infrastructure they provide. This is one
reason why I try to avoid the larger ISPs, the other being I can't stand
their menu driven fault finding that starts from the idiot level every
time.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/files/...nd-legends.pdf would be
a good read. It does not imply the use of the ISP called BTinternet or
any other owned by BT.

--
JohnW