Lan tester

Old October 23rd 10, 02:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Lan tester

I currently have a problem with my LAN.

A cable run to my patch panel is not working

A cable running outside got stretched when a window being opened
fouled it. I replaced the wire between the cat 6 socket in the house
and a point a couple of meters beyond the stretch where I connected to
the original wiring via an in line coupler (krone)

On my LAN tester "NS-468 ".

all the lights come on sequentially other then no 2 orange. If I look
at the remote sensor, the lights come on 1 2 7 4 3 6 5 with no
number 8.

Should this tell me something or is just the orange strand broken
somewhere.

Chris
Old October 23rd 10, 10:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Will

On my LAN tester "NS-468 ".

all the lights come on sequentially other then no 2 orange. If I look
at the remote sensor, the lights come on 1 2 7 4 3 6 5 with no
number 8.

Should this tell me something or is just the orange strand broken
somewhere.

NS-468??

Yes, you've mixed brown & orange if 568B wiring (easy to do with some colours) but more worryingly you've crossed 3&5&7 (all the
remaining whites).

Old October 24th 10, 08:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 22:24:59 +0100, "Will"

Thanks for this usefull post.

Did i mention I was colour blind . Im red/green , so how I got the
wires crosed i dont know . I did notice that the pairs had stuck to
each other and when you seperated them some of the white came off on
the solid colour . I've redone the job using some new Cat6 and all is
OK.

Can you tell me how you worked out what I had done so that i can do it
for myself next time .

Chris