req advice: best cable for broadband

Old October 25th 10, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tg

Default req advice: best cable for broadband

I've been lumbered with a job where I need to install a brand new telephone
cable around the outside of a very large house. The cable will be quite long
(over 50m) and goes from the external BT junction box (high up on the wall)
to the master socket inside the house. I'm concerned most about preserving
the adsl signal and resilience to weather so can anyone recommend a top
quality wire I should use? ie: make, spec number etc. Thanks for any advice.

Old October 25th 10, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"tg" wrote in message
I've been lumbered with a job where I need to install a brand new
telephone
cable around the outside of a very large house. The cable will be quite
long
(over 50m) and goes from the external BT junction box (high up on the
wall)
to the master socket inside the house. I'm concerned most about preserving
the adsl signal and resilience to weather so can anyone recommend a top
quality wire I should use? ie: make, spec number etc. Thanks for any
advice.

I thought the wiring to the Master Socket was the responsibility of BT.
Regards
David

Old October 25th 10, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Rance

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 David wrote:

I've been lumbered with a job where I need to install a brand new
telephone
cable around the outside of a very large house. The cable will be
quite long
(over 50m) and goes from the external BT junction box (high up on the
wall)
to the master socket inside the house. I'm concerned most about preserving
the adsl signal and resilience to weather so can anyone recommend a
top quality wire I should use? ie: make, spec number etc. Thanks for
any advice.

I thought the wiring to the Master Socket was the responsibility of BT.
Regards

It is, but I expect that the customer wanted to avoid the exorbitant
charges that BT make when they consider that a job is not essential.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old October 25th 10, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

tg wrote:
I've been lumbered with a job where I need to install a brand new telephone
cable around the outside of a very large house. The cable will be quite
long
(over 50m) and goes from the external BT junction box (high up on the wall)
to the master socket inside the house. I'm concerned most about preserving
the adsl signal and resilience to weather so can anyone recommend a top
quality wire I should use? ie: make, spec number etc. Thanks for any
advice.

same as BT use is best bet.

After all, the signal has probably travelled a kilometer plus down
similar already..

CAT5 works well enough, but its not exterior grade.
Old October 25th 10, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

tg wrote:
I've been lumbered with a job where I need to install a brand new
telephone
cable around the outside of a very large house. The cable will be quite
long
(over 50m) and goes from the external BT junction box (high up on the
wall)
to the master socket inside the house. I'm concerned most about
preserving
the adsl signal and resilience to weather so can anyone recommend a top
quality wire I should use? ie: make, spec number etc. Thanks for any
advice.

same as BT use is best bet.

After all, the signal has probably travelled a kilometer plus down similar
already..

CAT5 works well enough, but its not exterior grade.

You can buy exterior grade Cat 5. Typically about twice the price of indoor
grade cable, so perhaps £60 for a 305 metre reel.

For example: http://www.cmsplc.com/assynia-cable-7047-0.html

--
Graham J

Old October 25th 10, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Graham J wrote:
tg wrote:
[...]

Ta for that. well worth knowing.
Old October 25th 10, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Andrews

"tg" wrote in message
I've been lumbered with a job where I need to install a brand new
telephone
cable around the outside of a very large house. The cable will be quite
long
(over 50m) and goes from the external BT junction box (high up on the
wall)
to the master socket inside the house. I'm concerned most about preserving
the adsl signal and resilience to weather so can anyone recommend a top
quality wire I should use? ie: make, spec number etc. Thanks for any
advice.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...nal/index.html

if it's particularly exposed, or if it can be run under the eaves
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CAGPO6B.html at a quarter of the
price - even if it is exposed and not in danger of physical damage it will
probably last well over 20 years.

I had a bit of white telephone cable down the front of my house and while it
was a little bit brittle after 20 plus years it was still electrically
sound.

Peter

Old October 25th 10, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"tg" wrote in message
I've been lumbered with a job where I need to install a brand new
telephone
cable around the outside of a very large house. The cable will be quite
long
(over 50m) and goes from the external BT junction box (high up on the
wall)
to the master socket inside the house. I'm concerned most about
preserving
the adsl signal and resilience to weather so can anyone recommend a top
quality wire I should use? ie: make, spec number etc. Thanks for any
advice.

That part of the wiring is the responsibility of BT/Openreach. They will not
take kindly to you altering it. If the cable is defective then it is
BT/Openreach's responsibility to replace it. If the customer wants the
master socket moved BT/Openreach will charge about £150 to do it. I cant see
that you will be able to do it at a significant saving to the customer.

Peter Crosland

Old October 25th 10, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

On 25/10/10 10:48, tg wrote:
I've been lumbered with a job where I need to install a brand new telephone
cable around the outside of a very large house. The cable will be quite
long
(over 50m) and goes from the external BT junction box (high up on the wall)
to the master socket inside the house. I'm concerned most about preserving
the adsl signal and resilience to weather so can anyone recommend a top
quality wire I should use? ie: make, spec number etc. Thanks for any
advice.

You shouldn't.

If you do, and BT spot at any future time that non BT spec cable has
been used, or the wrong sort of BT cable has been used, or the job has
not been done to BT specs, there will be exorbitant fees to "normalise"
the installation.

If you still intend to do it, you need to determine whether it should be
dropwire, external cable or armoured cable (it sounds like external, but
I'm no expert, and dropwire is probably an valid alternative anyway).

The strength members in dropwire are not intended to carry the phone
signal, and misusing them as such may cause intermittent faults or line
noise.

You need to use approved connectors and terminations. This will probably
be "jelly crimps" inside the external junction box. You also will need
to support the cable and apply any appropriate strain relief in the
correct manner.

I believe current practice is to terminate external cable (black CW1308
or dropwire) in a junction box as close as practical to where it enters
the property, and run white CW1308 internal from that junction box to
the master socket. Note that a "junction box" might just be a lighweight
surface pattress and cover with "jelly crimps" used inside to actually
joint cables.

If you use "jelly crimps", make sure you use 2 wire ones and not 3 wire
ones.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
Old October 25th 10, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 25/10/2010 in message Denis
McMahon wrote:

I believe current practice is to terminate external cable (black CW1308
or dropwire) in a junction box as close as practical to where it enters
the property, and run white CW1308 internal from that junction box to
the master socket. Note that a "junction box" might just be a lighweight
surface pattress and cover with "jelly crimps" used inside to actually
joint cables.

With really good chocolate biscuits the engineer will run the black cable
right into the house up to the internal junction box :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is